Flite Fest 2014 Campers Area

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I spoke with Austin, and the official answer is as follows.

Ground Fires: No
Charcoal Grills: Yes
RV's with Gerators: Working on it.
Self Contained Fire Pit with patio tiles below:Only if Austin is invited.

Party on!

earthsciteach

Austin,

I will be attending FTFF and would very much like to invite you to join our fire bowl-with-concrete-pad-to-protect-the-grass get-together, hang-out. I am a master at cooking over a wood fire. I am formally inviting you to my camp-site (just holler for Patrick Murphy) to enjoy a delicious summer meal of fire roasted meat. Prob will be some veggies, too - whatever. Oh, and a beer or two perfectly matched to the cuisine.

Your brother in flying foam and fire roasted deliciousness,
Patrick Murphy

Splatwillicrash

Congrats on the Purchase

I plan to be there thursday evening. But I decided against renting an RV, I bought one instead. I'm now the owner of a 1990 holiday rambler :) I have on generator on the RV(once I figure out how to start it) and I'm planning to bring a small 800w too. If anyone is lacking power I'll be happy to help. I didn't see anything about a generator policy but I got the impression that it's ok. But I am wondering if there's a cutoff time (10-11pm for example) or if we are just expecting everyone to be courteous. I've never been to anything like this so I'm not sure what to expect but I'm sure it will be fun.

Howdy and Congrats/Sympathy

RVing is a great time, and as long as you approach it with a smile, and learn to be handy you are gonna have a blast. I will PM you with my email, so feel free to ask me any RV Questions. Been doing this for years. I started with a 72 Winne Brave, (I still own her and am using her this weekend). That is my roustabout rig, the wife likes the Fifth Wheel for anything more than a couple days.

Normally 10PM is the latest folks run Generators, but shutting down earlier is not discouraged.;) If you are having trouble getting the genset started, start with the basics. If you have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in the MH you wont be able to start it. The fuel pickup on Generators are designed so you dont run your tank dry with the generator and strand yourself.... Gensets themselves are pretty simple, Check the Plugs, and if it has a fuel filter replace out of hand, unless you are told they JUST last month replaced it, oh and buy a spare when you do.. Trust me on that one... Also check your oil level on the Genset, most generators will not start if the oil cutoff switch activates.

If you have a generator shop that works on Onan, (I assume it is an Onan) make an appointment now while your fiddling with it, since you can always cancel if you figure it out, but may be hard pressed to get into the shop in a hurry if you dont. (it is thier busy season).

Drain and Flush the RV Water Tanks and all your lines. Then do it again. Even after that Don't drink the water out of the RV tank! It is great for dishes, flushing and yea if you boil it making coffee in a pinch, but I would just buy a few one gallon bottled waters and throw them under the dinette. Bring a case of water for each two cases of beer.

Water Heater will probably not have been flushed in years if ever, lots of sediment builds up, CARFULLY when it is cold remove the plug and drain it, they make a flush attachment you can buy at any RV store, or maybe Walmart.

Propane apliances, check each connection with a spray bottle of soapy water. If you see ANY bubbles turn off the shutoff valve and have a qualified RV repair guy fix it.
Oh BTW RV has to be level for the Fridge to work on Propane. Get a bubble level for the freezer at Wally world or an RV store. running it Well out of level for extended periods will ruin it, costing you big bucks for repairs.

Bring some 2x4s or 2x8's cut short to level the rig in case your spot is on a slope.

Again, Welcome to the Family of RV'ers. You will find we are a helpful lot when sober, and even more fun when we're not...

SplatWillicrash:cool:

7AC

Poverty Pocket

I will be spending my nights at the motel in Carrollton, but I have a pickup load of RC gear and an "easy-up" for shade. Will I be able to get my truck anywhere near the flightline during the days or do I have to pay to "camp" to be able to get near the flightline?:confused:

knightshots

Along with the campfire/grill questions, I was wondering if anyone is planning cook outs! Like everyone else I am limited in how much I can pack. I do not yet own a camping grill/stove, and would rather not purchase/pack one.
A bring your own meat/side/veggi dinner would make meal planning and packing easier!

Or maybe some of the extra money FT earned could go to a "mess hall" where you could bring your own food to cook and eat at tables.

earthsciteach

knightshots - I'm bringing a Coleman stove, a small charcoal grill and a multi-fuel stove. You are welcome to hang out and use my stuff! I'll shoot you a pm with contact info.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I will be spending my nights at the motel in Carrollton, but I have a pickup load of RC gear and an "easy-up" for shade. Will I be able to get my truck anywhere near the flightline during the days or do I have to pay to "camp" to be able to get near the flightline?:confused:

I spoke with Austin. It sounds like we'll be able to set up along the flight line with the pop up canopies. There's no guarantee of a spot though. I getting numbers of up to 500 or more pilots. I don't know how many canopies can be fit along the line.

earthsciteach

The line is 1/2 a mile long. Lets see.... ((5280 ft/mi)*(1/2mi))/500 pilots) = 5.28 feet per pilot along the flight line. Take a 75% diversity for a given pilot staying on a given day...

That gives 7.04 feet per pilot. Very doable.

7AC

Thanks!

Flying Monkey, Thanks for your efforts! It sounds like even if we have to go two deep on the pop-ups along the flight line there will be room for all. Thanks again!:cool:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
um . . . try 3 deep.

That's pretty typical, and once you get used to it, you can get real chummy with your neighbors. Generally, you respect others they respect you back, and we all have a good time :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Just as a heads up... The weather forecast does not look optimal for a fly-in event for Malvern. Bring stuff to do under a tent and things to keep dry with.

Strix

Just as a heads up... The weather forecast does not look optimal for a fly-in event for Malvern. Bring stuff to do under a tent and things to keep dry with.

That's an excellent suggestion. There are usually isolated thunderstorms moving all over the midwest around this time of year. It's always best to be prepared.

But I wouldn't worry too much about the forecast at this point. The main event days are still more than 7 days away.

They can barely predict what the weather will be a couple days from now, much less a week out. :cool:

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I already told myself that if it rains, I'll open up the RV so that people who are in tent can get out of the rain. Perhaps play board games.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Does that mean I should bring a couple board games?

I'd say let's see how the forecast reads as the date gets closer. Oh hey. No. I'm bringing an oscilloscope for you. Bring board games. Big, Heavy board games ;)

Kidding of course.
-David

bitogre

I'd say let's see how the forecast reads as the date gets closer. Oh hey. No. I'm bringing an oscilloscope for you. Bring board games. Big, Heavy board games ;)

Kidding of course.
-David

I'm driving to Flite Fest so weight is not an issue but size might be. In any case, I should have enough room to bring a few.