Flite Fest 2016 - Info for those interested in FF2016

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
If I'm looking to do builds with my kids (i.e., father [37] daughter [11]), should I purchase two tickets in the Build Series registration menu? Thanks!

I'm with BridgeInspector and DharanFlyer, I'll be building a Tiny Trainer with my 7 year old son. I purchased 1 ticket for him and will asset with the building. Have fun and I'll see you there!

mybad

If I were you, I would just pick up 2 speed build kits at there store there. And just build them in the build tent.

Unless you've built a speed kit before, I strongly disagree! I speak from experience.

That is what we did last year. Having never built anything before, I bought a Tiny Trainer speed build kit and sat down with my 7 year old grandson to build it. What a disaster! There are no build directions with the kit and we had no idea what to do. We sat for a while, then I tried to connect to youtube and watch the build video on my Iphone. The small screen was less than ideal, and there was too much noise to hear the commentary. I felt bad for my grandson who was sitting patiently at the table.

Eventually, we met a kind gentleman volunteer who guided us through the build. It took the entire day because he had to keep leaving our table to help out others. This was very frustrating, but I was very grateful for his help. It took all day to build it, and when we were done it was too dark to fly it. The next morning, we had to pack up because another storm was approaching and they were encouraging everyone to leave. We never did get to fly it at Flite Fest.

All along, I was wondering why they didn't have an organized build class for beginners building their first plane. Now I am glad to see that it will happen! In fact, this year his mother (my daughter) is coming with us and she has signed up to build the Tiny Trainer with him. I know it will be a much better experience.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
http://flitefest.com/ft-building-series/

[Thursday] Tiny Trainer - Community Build 7:00pm
Admission price include your Tiny Trainer Speed Build Kit. This is exactly what is sounds like! On Thursday night we are going to have a really fun community build and build as many as 50 Tiny Trainers together. This is a great session for a parent/child duo to sign up and work together - the best part is, you have a built airplane for the rest of the weekend. Admission price does not include a Power Pack A but the class instructions will include getting your plane 100% ready to fly.

$30

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Oh man, I forgot about the FTCC builds. They got added after I had already planned my sessions with the other specialized building series sessions. Yes, the FTCC crew is great with their builds and it should be a great method to get a nice aircraft put together.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oh man, I forgot about the FTCC builds. They got added after I had already planned my sessions with the other specialized building series sessions. Yes, the FTCC crew is great with their builds and it should be a great method to get a nice aircraft put together.

The Arrow Session will rock.

I might even have to join the fun if I'm not too worn out ;)

kacknor

Build another!
I am happy to say that I will be able to attend the Fest this year after all! Things just worked out and now I have three weeks to get ready for camping and flying. I also volunteered to help out a bit, if it's still needed. Spur of the moment I also joined the Tiny Trainer build session. I ASSume it's OK to bring my own power pack equivalent?

JD

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I am happy to say that I will be able to attend the Fest this year after all! Things just worked out and now I have three weeks to get ready for camping and flying. I also volunteered to help out a bit, if it's still needed. Spur of the moment I also joined the Tiny Trainer build session. I ASSume it's OK to bring my own power pack equivalent?

JD

Awesome! Yes, you can use your own electronics, that is what I am planning to do also. See ya there!

mrwis@yahoo.com

I'm in as well. Just booked my hotel and bought the tickets. ;) I'm planning what planes I'll bring along now. Going to throw together a tiny trainer with some lights and do some night flying. Might throw two versa's and an explorer in the car as well.

joker24458

Can anyone confirm that an AMA Park Flyer licence is OK or not? I have looked around but haven't seen much on that topic.

My dad has the AMA Park Pilot which he signed up for the event with. I would think that they would accept any kind of AMA membership whether that be full, Park Pilot, or youth. :)

AndyP57

OK, I've bantered on a bit about my plans for getting to and enjoying FliteFest 2016 but one thing I haven't figured yet is what to do with a full camping set and any airframes I build whilst I'm there.
I certainly don't want to take a tent, mattress, sleeping bag, chair, table, stove and cooking equipment back to the UK with me so... One idea I had was if the FliteTest crew have a little storage area, I would be happy to donate the gear to them so they can accommodate any future visitors. Another would be to auction it off on the Sunday after I've packed it up.
As far as the airframes (I intend building Three home designs there and stripping the gear minus servos back out of them when I'm done) are concerned, any ideas? I haven't anything planned yet so any input would give me food for thought.

rcbif

OK, I've bantered on a bit about my plans for getting to and enjoying FliteFest 2016 but one thing I haven't figured yet is what to do with a full camping set and any airframes I build whilst I'm there.
I certainly don't want to take a tent, mattress, sleeping bag, chair, table, stove and cooking equipment back to the UK with me so... One idea I had was if the FliteTest crew have a little storage area, I would be happy to donate the gear to them so they can accommodate any future visitors. Another would be to auction it off on the Sunday after I've packed it up.
As far as the airframes (I intend building Three home designs there and stripping the gear minus servos back out of them when I'm done) are concerned, any ideas? I haven't anything planned yet so any input would give me food for thought.

You can spend less than $50 on a tent, mattress, and sleeping bag at Walmart. As far as I'm concerned, that's throw away money. I'm sure someone would take any of it off your hands when done. Cooking your own food might be a bit overboard. There are food vendors, and you can buy snacks locally.

rcbif

Newest e-mail update = confusing.

Registration is on Lee Rd, so are tent campers and R/V's then being funneled back to the Furey's property?
Is all non-camping traffic getting parked somewhere other than the Furey's property?

HilldaFlyer

Can someone provide the answer to where is the nearest potable water source for campers?
I understand that this is "primative" camping meaning no "hookups", but will campers be going offsite to get water?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hilda,

Pretty much. There's the Pride Valley campground less than 5 min North, but no idea what (or if) they would charge for drain/fill RV water tanks. Otherwise, there's a KOA about 20 min east and a KOA about 30 min west . . . Centrally located is synonymous with middle of nowhere ;)

HilldaFlyer

Hilda,

Pretty much. There's the Pride Valley campground less than 5 min North, but no idea what (or if) they would charge for drain/fill RV water tanks. Otherwise, there's a KOA about 20 min east and a KOA about 30 min west . . . Centrally located is synonymous with middle of nowhere ;)

Maybe I should clarify.. because I mislead you talking about hookups. What I meant was I understand that water spigots won't be located in the camping area, however, for tent campers...like me,
how far do I have to walk/drive to get water? I'm just trying to get a handle on how big of a water bucket I need to use.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fair enough. There is a source of water at the Furey's house . . . probably can bum off a small quantities . . . but otherwise you're probably slipping into town for one of the local grocery/convenience stores.

I'm sure by their nature the Furey's will be generous with what they have -- they have been in past -- but we're bringing in a lot of new neighbors . . . 1 gal x 4 days x number in attendance . . . . we're rapidly approaching a fair sized pool.

DharanFlyer

To interject another random question related to build tent. I know there will be the availability of community glue guns, but will there be any soldering irons available? I might get the motors, FC, etc for my Versa frame and get it set up while at FF.

And in addition, anyone who is a great solder master be willing to help me improve my skills? I am a little embarrassing with it right now.