Flite Fest 2016 - Info for those interested in FF2016

tsemme

What's the earliest we can set up our tents? My dad and I thinking of getting there Wednesday morning. Really excited!

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
What's the earliest we can set up our tents? My dad and I aiming to get there Wednesday morning. Really excited!

I believe registration starts at 2 pm on Wednesday.

As I understand it, The early Wednesday arrivals are mostly for setup crews and volunteers to be ready for the official start on Thursday morning. So it is not intended to have the vendors, build tents or flight lines ready for full use.

Last edited:

tsemme

Our goal was just to setup our tent early so we could register later and immediately after get flying. We wouldn't be using any of the facilities. I understand though if it's more for setup, although, I've heard of guys coming this early before..

rcbif

If they said 2pm Wednesday, I wouldn't do much earlier than that, as they may not have the support yet to show you where to park, and you may get in the way of setup.
I plan to get there sometime Wednesday afternoon, setup camp, and then possibly see if any work is needed for the rest of the day.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Our goal was just to setup our tent early so we could register later and immediately after get flying. We wouldn't be using any of the facilities. I understand though if it's more for setup, although, I've heard of guys coming this early before..

FYI, the "day before" is generally a work day, and those showing up in the past two years that early were there to work. I won't say that a working volunteer or two didn't take a break and flew a battery, but they generally went back to working after their break.

I can't say if anyone will approach you and ask you to come back later if you come early with no intention to work, but it's somewhat rude to spend the setup day playing and partying while everyone else are volunteering their extra day working around you, setting up for the whole festival.

They paid to be there too, and they're still donating their time and labor to make it a great event. Getting in their way and goofing off while they're working, where they're working is insulting, and I'd ask you to please treat them with better respect.

Now if you want to work, please, show up and pitch in. You won't find a better group of people to hang out with.

kacknor

Build another!
FYI, the "day before" is generally a work day, and those showing up in the past two years that early were there to work. I won't say that a working volunteer or two didn't take a break and flew a battery, but they generally went back to working after their break.

I can't say if anyone will approach you and ask you to come back later if you come early with no intention to work, but it's somewhat rude to spend the setup day playing and partying while everyone else are volunteering their extra day working around you, setting up for the whole festival.

They paid to be there too, and they're still donating their time and labor to make it a great event. Getting in their way and goofing off while they're working, where they're working is insulting, and I'd ask you to please treat them with better respect.

Now if you want to work, please, show up and pitch in. You won't find a better group of people to hang out with.

I've previous plans to be at the outdoor Tecumseh show with SWMBO, her sister and sister's grand kids Wednesday night. I'm hoping to leave here Thursday for arrival between 10 and noon. Now I feel guilty, but not too much. That show is pretty good. ;) I've signed up for shifts Friday and Saturday but If there is any need after about 3 Thursday I'm more than willing to help out.

JD

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'll tell you, last year was just as fun to show up early and lend a hand as it was during the event. Getting the FT shop all setup was a blast and you joked around while you did it. It was WORK but fun work at that. Dan speaks the 100% truth on this.

mactek

Me and my buddies will be showing up on Wednesday. Once we get our camps setup we will be more than willing to lend a hand in setting up the event.

tsemme

I'm sorry, I had no intention of being rude at all. I have full respect for everyone at this event. I wasn't sure about what was possible, so I asked out of curiosity. I would love to pitch in and probably could. I would just have to talk to some family members because they really want to spend some time with me! I really didn't mean to be rude at all, I just didn't know much and wanted to ask. In my earlier post, I wasn't implying that I would be "partying" or "getting in their way." I should have said was Mactek said. I didn't mean that I would get flying on Wednesday and bother everyone, I just wanted to setup our camp so the next day we could get flying. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

AndyP57

A question for the guys who have been before and know the layout of Furey Field. Do you know if there is an easy pedestrian access to Malvern village (Possibly from the field directly on to North Canton Street?) or will it be necessary to go the 'long way round' through the new entry gate which, in my case, may need to take the car)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
tsemme,

If I came off-the-cuff a little harsh, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to say you are a rude person, but I was pointing out what you were planning would inadvertently be rude . . . which isn't exactly what I ended up saying.

I'd still recommend coming out and lending a hand -- bring the family along! The work isn't bad and you get to know the people you're working with, your helpful family members included. There is a bit of hurry-up-and-wait so you'll be busy but not without time to take a breather . . . but if you come early, please come ready to work. We need the help, and you and your family will probably enjoy helping.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Andy,

From the layouts I've seen the fields to the south are not a part of the event.

I don't know if it's in production at the moment, but it is a crop field, so I wouldn't count on it being fallow. They may be a flat stretch of land, but if a farmer is growing something in there, they generally don't take people walking through their crop kindly. Access to the town proper should probably be by road.

tsemme

A question for the guys who have been before and know the layout of Furey Field. Do you know if there is an easy pedestrian access to Malvern village (Possibly from the field directly on to North Canton Street?) or will it be necessary to go the 'long way round' through the new entry gate which, in my case, may need to take the car)

I talked with them and they said they would be totally fine with me helping. They would as well! :D

FoamBender

Non-Camping Pop up Canopy

In the past we have camped off site and setup a Pop Up Canopy with our flight gear. Does anyone know if this will be possible with the new layout?

0150r

I registered with the AMA last week with a 3 month trial membership, will this be okay for FF16? I'm moving out of the country in a couple of months, so the $20 membership seemed like the best option.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
In the past we have camped off site and setup a Pop Up Canopy with our flight gear. Does anyone know if this will be possible with the new layout?

If I recall from last year if you are occupying a spot it is considered a camp site.
But I'll verify with Austin.

Andre.

meanbaby

i know everyone asking about wednesday arriving. but what if we want to get a heads start and arrive tuesday late afternnon or night? can we still come in and setup tent? or we be sleeping in side road for that night? hehehe

-pete

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Officially the grounds do not open till 2pm on Wednesday.
The setup crew will be busy working.

I recommend you arrive on Wednesday.

Thank you.

Andre.

Merck

Are camp sites first come, first serve or are they based on your registration date? I won't be able to get there until Thursday afternoon.

Nick