Flite Fest 2017 International Air Races

97tj-neil

I don't really need another project, but I have been thinking about doing this one in DTFB since we visited the Smithsonian Air and space Museum last fall. The Hughes H-1 is a beautiful plane in person.

Not sure how easy it is going to be to get a power pod into it, but I'll give it a shot. At least the paint job is simple.

A19750840000CP03.jpg

3-View-Hughes-H1-Racer.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Does it have to be a model of an existing plane or can it be something in the "spirit" of a Golden Age racer?

I sure hope so ;)

I'm actually leaning the other way with my chosen airframe. In the "spirit" of the golden age, and a real racer, but a step out of time . . .

beck-mahoney-sorceress.jpg

The Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

She's an early 1970's biplane racer, but at the time the planes in her class had stagnated from the golden age. A bit of a kick-in-the-pants, she won several Reno races and the rules were changed just to put her out of the running.

Anyone opposed to a little bit of anachronism?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I think keeping the power pod as a requirement is a good thing. Everything can can be done with foam, even using simple FT techniques, has not been done yet. Simple foamboard planes still have a long way to go before you hit the wall of what can't be done and what can't be made to look good.

This borrows a lot from the the basic baby blender, but it doesn't take much work to add a few curves here and there to make a big difference.

MMGG Beta v.3.jpg GlosterVSBabyBlender.png GlosterVSBabyBlender2.png GlosterVSBabyBlender3.png

My PBY design ending up coming from how I built a set of floats for a Zero. There is a lot you can do with foamboard, and lot of inspiration on this board as well as on RC groups. I like to look at a plane in as many different angles as I can. Check out images of aircraft that have been modeled in computer games. It can really help you out when you're trying to take 2d foamboard to a 3d design.

pbyfolds1.png pbyfolds2.png

Budzo here on the FT forums took my boxy Bf 109 plans, added some round pieces, and totally transformed the look.

From this:

Combat109_zpsed33buqx.png

To this:

20160727_135950.jpg 20160727_140347.jpg front view no pod.jpg

So start searching on on various boards, check out some computer games and get inspired. Foamboard can do a lot more than what we're doing with it now, even with the constraint of keeping the swappable pod. I think we can expect to see some pretty awesome golden age designs.

desert wings

Foam Fan
httpwww.modelairplanenews.comMediaNewsPB100006.jpg
If we are going in the "Spirit" of the Golden Age how about a Nick Ziroli Swoose? It may not make a fast racer but it is very unique and I have always been intrigued by this plane.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I sure hope so ;)

I'm actually leaning the other way with my chosen airframe. In the "spirit" of the golden age, and a real racer, but a step out of time . . .

View attachment 72877

The Beck-Mahoney Sorceress

She's an early 1970's biplane racer, but at the time the planes in her class had stagnated from the golden age. A bit of a kick-in-the-pants, she won several Reno races and the rules were changed just to put her out of the running.

Anyone opposed to a little bit of anachronism?

If you need reference shots let me know. She's right around the corner :cool:

I'll have to think about getting in on this one. I'll definitely build one and race (assuming I can make it to FF next year), but I don't know if I'll have time to design one. We'll have to see :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
View attachment 72888
If we are going in the "Spirit" of the Golden Age how about a Nick Ziroli Swoose? It may not make a fast racer but it is very unique and I have always been intrigued by this plane.

She's a beauty!

I was also thinking about a racing seaplane - the Macchi-Castoli MC 72

abrdd-dx.jpg

But I don't have a pond to fly from nearby, and I'm not feeling the pontoons so much for grass landings. :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
But I don't have a pond to fly from nearby, and I'm not feeling the pontoons so much for grass landings. :)

Big long floats like most of the sea racing planes have should work pretty good on grass, both for takeoffs and landings.

earthsciteach

I saw a Cessna on inflatable, fabric floats take off from the grass alongside the runway at Oshkosh '86. It was a very cool thing to witness!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you need reference shots let me know. She's right around the corner :cool:

Might take you up on that one (I was already thinking about asking ;) )

It seems Google is short on left and rear views . . . something about a 707 looming over her. Also if you can see any details on the belly or bottom wing that'd be nice to have. I have good 3-views, and with all that silver, the "skin" will be simple . . . assuming I can lay that much Mylar tape down smoothly :eek:

I'll start up a thread in a week or so . . . when I can get around to dragging sketchup out . . .

jim_buxton

Well this does it. I am more interested in air racers than any other discipline. Golden Age, Schneider Cup, Unlimited..all good. I also have some very golden age trophies, from the 1950's Mirror meets that need a good home. I will donate one for the Bixler Trophy and Furey Cup. Let me dig through my stash and find appropriate ones. I will have new plates engraved. Do we expect this to be an annual event or 2017 only?

Also, my Supermarine S6B did great landing on the grass at FF. Is there any real talk of a tank being installed like at the Horizon Indoor? This is scratchbuilt from EPP, but could be done in FB I guess...

Attachments

• S6B-5.jpg
    S6B-5.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Flappy dudes can be tied off under the armpits to make a better pylon. It will be easier and less resource intensive that way. Still contemplating subjects not designed in the era but follow the same spirit. I'm leaning toward inclusion as the baby Brits and barons were not truly WWI aircraft but followed the spirit of the gaggle.

jim_buxton

It seems Google is short on left and rear views . . . something about a 707 looming over her. Also if you can see any details on the belly or bottom wing that'd be nice to have. I have good 3-views, and with all that silver, the "skin" will be simple . . . assuming I can lay that much Mylar tape down smoothly :eek:

I'll start up a thread in a week or so . . . when I can get around to dragging sketchup out . . .

Pretty sure the Mendenhall book has a 3-view. I can scan and send if you do not have the book.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor

Will do. Give me a few days and I'll get over there. This one always catches my eye when I go there. I love small planes, but the visibility in this one seems rediculous. I can't imagine it was easy to land, and I'd bet it was a pain to taxi. I haven't seen too many rc versions either. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

HilldaFlyer

Bixler Trophy - my two hundredths of a dollars suggestions

The Bixler Trophy
This is akin to the Bendix Trophy races of the 1930s. These were endurance races to encourage safety and push boundaries of technology. You fixed-wing FPV guys can get in on this action as we would like to have FPV really be the focus here. Balancing the weight of your equipment and how far you can fly as fast as possible on a fixed low-energy pack is the challenge. In true Bixler fashion we expect to see puffed batteries and some FPV action that could be displayed at the FPV tent. Lots of options and details to work out but you get the idea.

This will be a super competition! My comments and questions:

My first interpretation of this is - how many laps around the floppy dudes can you do at full throttle.

Although the FPV aspect will be a target audience, I assume that FPV will not be a requirement and that FPV will not be used during the competition, or you'll only get a handful of planes up at once for hours.

"How far you can fly" How will this be measured? Laps around the floppy dudes?

"As fast as possible" - does this mean full throttle? I've heard of planes going an hour and longer. This will be a really long contest... perhaps best to start at 8:00 pm (just kidding).

The definition of the low-energy battery will be key here. Will the competitors be grouped in tiers with comparable capacities regardless of the battery chemistry? Certainly the battery technology used will be one of the key factors.

Just questions for consideration.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Pretty sure the Mendenhall book has a 3-view. I can scan and send if you do not have the book.

Thanks Jim. I do have a good 3-view, but if it's not the same, they're both likely to have details of the real thing the other one missed. I don't have a copy, so I'd appreciate it if you PM'ed me a scan.

Craftydan

Here is a plan for a sorceress look alike maybe
http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=96757&mode=search

Thanks for that. Not quite scale, but not bad. It's a good place to look and see how someone else approached the challenges that gull wing gives. I'm always open to "borowing" someone else's ideas ;)

Will do. Give me a few days and I'll get over there. This one always catches my eye when I go there. I love small planes, but the visibility in this one seems rediculous. I can't imagine it was easy to land, and I'd bet it was a pain to taxi. I haven't seen too many rc versions either. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks! No rush. This project has a LOT of time ahead in it.

Yeah, most racers were that way, but some are worse than others. The sorceress was bad...but my "fall back" plane was worse:

025675.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayton-Wright_Racer

Still available for the right designer, simple, good history, and right at the start of the golden age...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
My first interpretation of this is - how many laps around the floppy dudes can you do at full throttle.

Although the FPV aspect will be a target audience, I assume that FPV will not be a requirement and that FPV will not be used during the competition, or you'll only get a handful of planes up at once for hours.

"How far you can fly" How will this be measured? Laps around the floppy dudes?

"As fast as possible" - does this mean full throttle? I've heard of planes going an hour and longer. This will be a really long contest... perhaps best to start at 8:00 pm (just kidding).

The definition of the low-energy battery will be key here. Will the competitors be grouped in tiers with comparable capacities regardless of the battery chemistry? Certainly the battery technology used will be one of the key factors.

Just questions for consideration.

FPV element is partially to grab those interested in FPV racing, but more than anything else it overcomes the long-range problems an endurance course has. You're right, duration and limited channels is going to be a damper on this...maybe not enough to stop it, but it is something that hasn't been considered yet.

Perhaps shorter entry heats with lower packs to narrow down to a few for the full endurance run? Dunno. I'm seeing this is a place we need a few more ideas. . .

As far as scoring, the rough plan is as far as fast as you can go. We're looking at some scheme of average lap time with a correction factor reducing the average for every lap flown. Run it crazy fast once, the average is low, but as somebody puts around their 12th lap, their corrected average may beat the zippy one-lapper. Tortus might beat the hare, but the slower the tortus goes the farther he will need to go to make up for the low average. The math is in debate at the moment, but suggestions are welcome.

As far as energy goes.... For the moment, the plan is everybody has the same to start with. Sip or guzzle, it's up to you, but too slow or too short will hurt your final score.