Flite fest 23 barnstormer challenge p26

jpot1

Elite member
@FlyerInStyle, you definitely need to reinforce the fuse. Check out this article since you have a 3D printer. You could either use carbon tubes or dowels from a hardware store.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
@FlyerInStyle, you definitely need to reinforce the fuse. Check out this article since you have a 3D printer. You could either use carbon tubes or dowels from a hardware store.
which article? also, I will reinforce it, I have the dowels on hand, just i want to mount the wings first so that my reinforcement can also reinforce the place where the wing mounts. Also it is surprisingly strong as is.

MaxTheFliteFreak

ok. thanks. they need to be removable for transport. I am planning on using magnets for proper alignment but other than that those tips help. thanks. I have a single thickness of foam fuselage, so how would you recommend reinforcing it so the spars that go through the fuse just dont rip it apart ocmpletely.
If it's like those profile 3D planes, you can glue the spars to the sides or top/bottom.

jpot1

Elite member
that seems a bit excessive. I will probably make the wings removable and htat is about it. it should fit in the car that way. I will have to check though. Just realizing the size of this
Right just sharing it for the wing part.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
To make the wing removable, could you just use a dowel pin in the LE and a bolt(s) near the TE?
20221207_221124.jpg

20221207_221214.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
1/4 scale RC. Finished weight of 29 pounds.
View attachment 232774
His build can be found here: Linky
He has since built another at 1/3 scale which he won an award with at one of the warbird events here in the midwest.
That looks amazing! I am not aiming at that scale of accuracy and precision. All I want is a flying model. I will also omit the cowling for the maiden probably, as it blocks a lot of airflow and I want to see how it does without it first.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Finally time to make an update!!! It is all finished up and ready to go. Taxis just fine in a straight line but doesn't turn because if the wide wheels and lack of steerable tailwheel. Seems to have enough power to fly and everything is very strong. weighs just over 2.2kg

Attachments

• 20221221_142604.jpg
    20221221_142604.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

MaxTheFliteFreak

Finally time to make an update!!! It is all finished up and ready to go. Taxis just fine in a straight line but doesn't turn because if the wide wheels and lack of steerable tailwheel. Seems to have enough power to fly and everything is very strong. weighs just over 2.2kg
Josh Bixler would love it, looks like something straight out of a cartoon, god job!

Tench745

Master member
That looks amazing! I am not aiming at that scale of accuracy and precision. All I want is a flying model. I will also omit the cowling for the maiden probably, as it blocks a lot of airflow and I want to see how it does without it first.
The cowling shouldn't block too much airflow, it's just a ring that surrounds the engine. Air should be able to flow right through it.