Flite fest 23 barnstormer challenge p26

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
@wilmracer you said you could take some pics of a p26 that is near you for me? I need some pics of the tailwheel on it if you could get me some pics. I cant find it on any pictures online, and my tailwheel setup just isn't right.

Tench745

Master member
From the thread linked over on the RCScaleBuilder forums. The early P-26's had a fairing around the tailwheel, but later versions had a swiveling tail wheel and no fairing.
1671849532763.png

1671849508558.png

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
From the thread linked over on the RCScaleBuilder forums. The early P-26's had a fairing around the tailwheel, but later versions had a swiveling tail wheel and no fairing.
View attachment 233258
View attachment 233257
Interesting. I just wanted to know where it was mounted and if I should make it steerable. Right now it doesn’t turn at all while taxiing without a steerable tail wheel, and I don’t know if that is a scale porblem or just something of my design,

Tench745

Master member
Interesting. I just wanted to know where it was mounted and if I should make it steerable. Right now it doesn’t turn at all while taxiing without a steerable tail wheel, and I don’t know if that is a scale porblem or just something of my design,
That's a scale issue. That's why the later models got rid of fairing and added a castering tailwheel. Fixed or steerable would be scale accurate depending on whether you went with an early or a late model. I would go with whichever makes flying it more fun.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
That's a scale issue. That's why the later models got rid of fairing and added a castering tailwheel. Fixed or steerable would be scale accurate depending on whether you went with an early or a late model. I would go with whichever makes flying it more fun.
Iwill probably keep it the early models as my models always have problems tracking straight on takeoff so at least this one won't have that issue. Being able to take off is better than being able to taxi. Nice to know that isn't just an issue with my design

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Sorry I have not posted here, but I have decided to redesign the peashooter stronger, as I don’t like how weak the previous version was. I have a screenshot update, this time making it half master series, fro simplicity, octagonal though I may make it full master series later.

Attachments

• 2F7F27BE-CB32-4072-9380-E0E75E31EA92.jpeg
    2F7F27BE-CB32-4072-9380-E0E75E31EA92.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
update, I have decided to make the wingspan larger than scale, as I really need the excess lift. I am also considering ideas of where and how to mount the batts. Anyone have any ideas?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Here is the finished model of the fuselage of the version 2:
1678054747175.png

As you can see the pilots headrest part is missing, but I plan on reusing that from the previous version. The motor mount will be 3d printed and both the vert. and hor. stabs have double sided kfm airfoils. Now I am working on manually unfolding the skins, as my cad, Shapr3d cannot do that. I am thinking about trying pepakura for this though

MaxTheFliteFreak

Here is the finished model of the fuselage of the version 2: View attachment 236024
As you can see the pilots headrest part is missing, but I plan on reusing that from the previous version. The motor mount will be 3d printed and both the vert. and hor. stabs have double sided kfm airfoils. Now I am working on manually unfolding the skins, as my cad, Shapr3d cannot do that. I am thinking about trying pepakura for this though
I'm pretty sure you can unfold things on Fusion360. Give it a try.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Here is what the plan is looking like right now:

3 out of the 7 skins are done, as you can see on the right, and everything else is drawn out. This is taking a painstakingly long time so it is being delayed somewhat. I am hoping to get theese plans done over my coming up spring break (the nest two weeks). This is getting really close tot he flitefest deadline.

I also need to finish designing the wings, as currently on the center section is in cad.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Here are the finished plans (in sheets of 2 pieces of foam) for anyone who wants them. I decided that I will figure out ailerons when I build it, so they are not marked (I couldnt figure out if they were too big or too small, etc.) The wing needs to be mirrored

It is a massive 10 sheets of foam (without trying to compact it)!

If somebody could take a look at the plans and let me know if I forgot something that would be nice (I always forget something)

Attachments

• P26 try2 with oct.fuse-megasheet3.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P26 try2 with oct.fuse-megasheet2.pdf
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P26 try2 with oct.fuse-megasheet1.pdf
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P26 try2 with oct.fuse-megasheet4 - wing.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
update: no pictures, but am working on cutting out the plans and maybe will get it built by monday. Would anyone like to help me make skins? I am trash at graphic design, and frankly dont have the time to learn, so if anyone could help make this plane look amazing, I would really appreciate it!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Here is an update, I got the plans traced on the foam, next step is cutting them out 5 sheets just for the fuselage and tail parts, four more for the wings, which I will do later.
20230322_163713.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Everything finished up, getting to installing electronics, and hopefully finishing up today. Since both the v1 and v2 dont fit in one photo, I showed their fuselages for a comparison. The v2's fuse is slightly smaller in height but looks more scale, but the wingspan and length is the same

Attachments

• 20230324_182927.jpg
    20230324_182927.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0