Flite Test - Baby Blender v.2 - BUILD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Finally got my Baby Blender finished yesterday. It's been sitting mostly done for a month waiting for paint. Decided it just needed some packing tape instead. Turned out pretty darn well for tape.

It's using one of my spare multirotor motors. A multistar 2213 935kv, 20amp ESC, 11x6 carbon fiber prop, & 1300mah 3s lipo.

This thing is amazingly stable, took right off, and with a few clicks of trim I was able to fly hands off. Get a bit of altitude, hands off the controls, and it will slowly circle with no input. Roll rate doesn't compare to the duster, but this thing handles loops, rolls, inverted flight, whatever you throw at it. I even get 9-10min flight times before my voltage alarm sounds. I am very pleased with this one.

planebreaker2000

dihedral wing plans

Aerosquadron,

I just finished with your dihedral wings they make a good difference.

Still acrobatic, but not twitchy. Good job.

I also lengthened wings 4 inches and added 1.5 inches to the nose(to help with balancing) she flies great.

Thank you

jpot1

Elite member
I am flying the FT22 with some success but still considering myself a newbie. I am concerned with all of the posts about the "twichy" characteristics of this plane. Would folks recommend the wings posted by Aerosquadron to mitigate this or just moving on to something more docile like the spitfire?

matjey

I am flying the FT22 with some success but still considering myself a newbie. I am concerned with all of the posts about the "twichy" characteristics of this plane. Would folks recommend the wings posted by Aerosquadron to mitigate this or just moving on to something more docile like the spitfire?

I've been building a couple of biplane myself and they are all 'twitchy' if you follow the design and blueprint on the actual model of the plane. And seeing on the BB plan, I definitely agree that it will be 'twitchy' build. Personal taste, I would go the same road as what been highlighted by 808aerosquadron. But then, I would love to build the BB both as per the plan ans as per the mod and see how both handle.

Just finished the BB as per flitetest plan. Next will be building the MOD version as per 808aerosquadron suggest.
IMG_20161124_031037.jpg

ladykate

I just finished a Baby Blender. A friend made one and it the wing airfoil was too efficient. It still balloons like crazy on throttle up. Also the wing struts weren't all that stable. In addition, I just didn't like the landing gear setups. To fix all that, I made a KFm2 wing pair and added skewers as strut braces. Since the wing is now a lot more solid, I put in some landing gear taken from a crashed Meteor I. Did a maiden today and it flew very well indeed. Used a 1500 kv Suppo with a 9x6 prop. 3s 2200mah.

blender 1 smaller.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
Has anyone lengthened the fuse to reduce the twitchy nature? I was thinking of lengthening the fuse by 4-5 inches and stretching the wingspan by a similar amount. Worth it?

ladykate

Has anyone lengthened the fuse to reduce the twitchy nature? I was thinking of lengthening the fuse by 4-5 inches and stretching the wingspan by a similar amount. Worth it?

Yes, I lengthened the wings by 2" total (and made them KFm 2) and lengthened the fuse by 4". It does help but it still is twitchy at low speeds or in wind. Much better than stock, though. Here are the two fuses side by side.
fuse 2 smaller.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
Yes, I lengthened the wings by 2" total (and made them KFm 2) and lengthened the fuse by 4". It does help but it still is twitchy at low speeds or in wind. Much better than stock, though. Here are the two fuses side by side.
View attachment 84558

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to combine the fuse and wingspan sizing with the dihedral mentioned in a prior post. Will update this thread with feedback.

jpot1

Elite member
Success today. 3 batteries flown, great little bipe. In the end ~5 inches longer and 4 inches to the wingspan and this really tamed down into a great flying plane.

IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Speed build kit with just a few mods.
Everything done except check the throws and maiden.
Just need the weather to cooperate a bit ;)
blend3.jpg blend4.jpg blend5.jpg blend1.jpg blend2.jpg

View attachment 84558

Ladykate - When you lengthened the fuselage by 4 inches, was that just to the aft section after the wings or did you also increase the length forward of the wings? Secondly, did you have center of gravity issues with the lengthened fuselage?

808aerosquadron

Success today. 3 batteries flown, great little bipe. In the end ~5 inches longer and 4 inches to the wingspan and this really tamed down into a great flying plane.

View attachment 85895
View attachment 85896

Jpot1 - Same questions to you as to Ladykate:
When you lengthened the fuselage by 5 inches, was that just to the aft section after the wings or did you also increase the length forward of the wings?
Secondly, did you have center of gravity issues with the lengthened fuselage?

808aerosquadron

jpot1

Elite member
Jpot1 - Same questions to you as to Ladykate:
When you lengthened the fuselage by 5 inches, was that just to the aft section after the wings or did you also increase the length forward of the wings?
Secondly, did you have center of gravity issues with the lengthened fuselage?

808aerosquadron

808aerosquadron, I only extended the tail section. I basically continued the top of the fuse horizontally and shifted the notches for the elevator. I then adjusted the angle of the sides of the fuse to match the new fuse end. That plus going to a 28-29" wingspan made flying this my go to plane. If it would help to put something in a PDF, let me know. Kept CG in exactly the same spot.

808aerosquadron, I only extended the tail section. I basically continued the top of the fuse horizontally and shifted the notches for the elevator. I then adjusted the angle of the sides of the fuse to match the new fuse end. That plus going to a 28-29" wingspan made flying this my go to plane. If it would help to put something in a PDF, let me know. Kept CG in exactly the same spot.

jpot1 -

Thank you for the information. No need to do a pdf file; I think I can go from here.

After years of faithful service, I finally managed to "prang my (Blender) kite" (posts ## 44 & 151 herein) when the top wing separated from one of the interplane struts while climbing into a loop. I loved flying the Blender but want to tame her down a bit. Between the dihedral wings and extending out the aft fuselage, I think this should do it in the rebuild.

Thanks again & "keep'em flying."

808aeroquadron

Yayat

Hello guys, I want to build this plane with rs2205s 2300 kv motor on 850mah 3s. Will it works? My expectation is at least I can hover it.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Hello guys, I want to build this plane with rs2205s 2300 kv motor on 850mah 3s. Will it works? My expectation is at least I can hover it.
Sorry, won’t work, minimum recommended motor is a 1000kv 2212 with a 9 inch prop, 2205 can only spin up to a 6inch prop and wouldn’t have enough juice.