Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It's Mike Patey's Draco

View attachment 174564

I was working on them but I haven't finished

Oh yeah! I know Draco!!!

1594858788355.png

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Well after life has definitely gotten in the way and we have learned some things about the morals of flite test I will be changing the tone of “possibly if FT wants they could kit these planes” so it’ll probably lose some attention because of it but Id like to start a competition on who can design the best plane for bragging rights only. Maybe @Grifflyer will do plans for the winner as well.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Anyway, that stuff aside, for those interested there is a competition starting now. First up will be GA aircraft and Pre 1980s warbirds. Id like to see a lot of lo poly and boxy designs for ease of build since foam board planes are not meant to last forever but curved foam planes will be judged the same. Include pictures from your design stages, lots of building steps, and video flying (hopefully) your creation! @Grifflyer @SquirrelTail and I will be deciding the top 5 of both categories based on ease of build from the pictures, professionalism on looks (lo poly and boxy planes will be judged based on a different perspective of how they look), and how your creation flies. Happy building!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Without the paragraph to read
1st Challenge starts now
-General aviation planes
-Pre 1980 Warbirds
•Judged on pictures of your build process. For how well it assembles
•Looks (lo poly and boxy planes will be considered for what they are we don’t expect everyone to make a master series and honestly, master series planes are too complex for most to build)
•How well it flies via a video
Attempt a few maneuvers like stalls, loops, really show what your airframe is, or isn’t capable of scale flying is cool too

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Without the paragraph to read
1st Challenge starts now
-General aviation planes
-Pre 1980 Warbirds
•Judged on pictures of your build process. For how well it assembles
•Looks (lo poly and boxy planes will be considered for what they are we don’t expect everyone to make a master series and honestly, master series planes are too complex for most to build)
•How well it flies via a video
Attempt a few maneuvers like stalls, loops, really show what your airframe is, or isn’t capable of scale flying is cool too
I'm down - I'll be starting on it next week!

RCBuildIdeas

After more consulting we are going to add the miscellaneous section as well send all your weird and wacky stuff this way 🤘

I've been wanting to build something that can fly slowly at a high angle of attack. I'd like to keep this to one sheet of foamboard and have an AUW of < 249 grams. Currently, the design has a span of about 20 inches. I'm thinking throttle, rudder and elevons. This design is totally untested, only exists in inkscape and blender. Here's what I have so far:
model-00.png

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I've been wanting to build something that can fly slowly at a high angle of attack. I'd like to keep this to one sheet of foamboard and have an AUW of < 249 grams. Currently, the design has a span of about 20 inches. I'm thinking throttle, rudder and elevons. This design is totally untested, only exists in inkscape and blender. Here's what I have so far:
View attachment 175972
Basically its a nutball that looks cool! It could be a bit of a twist if you did a prop slot instead of what Im assuming would be a tractor prop