Flite Test Forum Build-Off: 2015-2016 edition

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys! I'll post some updated pics once she's prettied up and ready for the ball. To switch metaphors, I always thought a car should get down the track with a decent time before putting on the ghost flame paint job and spinning rims. :)

And yes - it's surprisingly fun to fly for a $15 kit - I would certainly recommend it for anyone who has some balsa building experience and a very small budget.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The flea is getting all prettied up! Time for another round of test flights, and a few decals and perhaps figuring out a paper-craft pilot to cover up all the electronics in the cockpit bay...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The close of the build-off it approaching! We are a little over a month away and we have just two flown aircraft. We have seen some fantastic progress on these projects so be sure to go to the second post and review them all if you are not subscribed.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This is your ONE WEEK courtesy call. You have one week to complete your projects as much as you can.

HilldaFlyer

RQ-7 Shadow Maiden -> PASS

This morning before work I bagged the maiden of the RQ-7 Shadow.
I'll post video tonight - that is if the Mobius did not fail me.

gUwbusTLSTaxbuZ63t2iPmw67snLlzuDgQ4XmtrQLJVfSjPXntxx4Xy_YKLi71qrd6glQ6lNSogmSE9TslWIbSZmS3DexiSXK8-uVaLByRL0meUfte6A3XRsCqA9hY1KRXfmugPN

Before the maiden.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Public apology. Dayve had corrected his entry for registration but I never added him to the list. He has successfully flown his project so I encourage you all to have a gander at his build. Very cool stuff wrapping up here, guys!

joker24458

Coming up quick on May 1st....sorry to say this but there is no way I will be able to finish the P-38 in time, it will take at least another month to finish it up. I'm just glad that it has flown. :D I've just been too busy for the past few months and if I had been wiser, I would have started the build earlier.... Anyways, congrats to those who have either completed or will complete their builds! Good time management. :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Congrats to everyone who has made progress on their builds! That was the original point of this, right? :)

Also, can we keep wilsonman so distracted with his Gotha build that he doesn't get back to finish up the FW-190 until after the 1st? That's the only chance I have of winning the kit category. :) :black_eyed:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Not. Gonna. Happen. I got too distracted with projects this winter. The FW-190, then back to the J-22, then to the Bloody Ripper, then to the Gotha. What matters is that I really did build almost all winter, except where I couldn't because of the construction going on in the basement. It's likely that the J-22 will fly this season. 190, maybe next.

HilldaFlyer

Congrats to everyone who has made progress on their builds! That was the original point of this, right? :)

So true.
Well - when I entered I had the false notion that everyone would be building using FT techniques and Readi-Board... Boy was I taken. I was a little more than intimidated to see the builds others were engaging in. All I can say is WOW! Guess that is my fault for not reading the small print. But darn it all - I did have a good time. I have really enjoyed being a part of a community that supports each other. I have truly enjoyed seeing the progress that everyone has made. Makes me want to build a really big something.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Put your tools down everyone! Oh wait... nevermind. KEEP BUILDING!!! Any progress posted after the 1st of May will not be counted in the judging. We have just a few qualifiers but I want to thank EVERYONE for pitching in to have a good build off. Some really interesting builds this year and some excellent new techniques. Some interesting crashes as well! Bragging Rights are to be posted in a month.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The scores are in and POSTED.

I want to say that overall the scores for flight were impressively high all around with all entrants scoring high. I attribute this to the resourceful community we have here in making great aircraft. IMHO the scores also reflect that just because you create something impressively big, finishing the project with scale details really does pay off. Many congrats to Hilldaflyer and rockboy for their bragging rights.

I also want to thank all of the participants (builders and commentators) for their participation! Flying season is in full-swing now and I hope these flying works of art are being fully utilized in their fullest capacity.

I hope to see many, if not all, of you at FTFF 2016 so we can bench-build and talk about these wonderful projects.

Willsonman (Joshua D. Orchard)