Flite Test Monster Cruiser

Flite Test Monster Cruiser 2019-08-21

Headbang

Master member
Landing gear is 100% why I'm concerned about GC at all. If it was a belly lander as intended I'd just throw a 9-6-2 APC pusher on it, clock it such that when it's coming up on compression the prop's level with the floorpan, and that'd be that. Hit throttle-cut right before touchdown and all'd be happy.

But I put tricycle gear on it so getting ground clearance is a concern. If I can't find a suitable prop I might just take the gear off and bellyland it but, eh, kinda not enthused about having to hand-launch something with a screaming pusher engine.

I would quote the patron saint of shop tinkering, but that sorta language is frowned upon on these forums haha. But yah, no, the 40FP is what I have on hand. Either that or a Saito Fa-45 which already has a 10-7-3 pusher on it. The 40FP used to be on my Aerostar 40 but it just wasn't enough engine for a plane that heavy. I had to fly at 3/4 throttle to get it out of high alpha, whereas my NexSTAR flies at 35% throttle quite comfortably. My 46AX and ST GS45ABC are way too powerful for a Spear; if I even could prop them adequately they'd fly it far faster than it's comfortable flying.
Just saw a guy slice his finger bad in 2 places hand launching a pusher wing last weekend. Can be done, but best done underhanded or even better a wing tip toss. 3 blade sounds like it will work, an 8x8 would be faster tho!