Flitefest 2015 questions for those that went last year

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
First off i thought my google earth was broke. no mountains!
just kidding

My best friend and I are planning on flying over to Columbus and renting a small moving truck to use as our "hotel" / tent. We have been discussing what we should and shouldn't bring.

So for those that went last year, what didn't you need to bring (glue guns, tables, solder irons, battery charger?) and what did you wish you had or were really glad that you did have?

As we are limited to 2x 50lb bags, i am thinking of just bringing a bunch of motors, props, esc, radios, etc to build stuff on site.

Cant wait to meet you all in a few months!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Lots more spending money and a bigger car. I would have bought every SB kit and the corresponding electronics if I could have. Of course you have to bring it back, crash it to small pieces or give it away when you leave. My prius wasn't full when I arrived, but it was when I left. The sbk are small and flat when you get them but grow quickly when you add hotglue.

The build tent had tables and chairs. You could probably find glue guns, soldering irons and chargers( bring your banana plug to battery connection adaptor) to borrow if needed. There is a dollar tree or two between Columbus and Furey field.

Last edited:

Tjhogg

I'm sure more people will respond and the Group that was there was amazing, it doesnt matter what you bring or forget the group will provide. My Small group became friends with both camps on each side. I miss both those groups......Bartolamule (kevin) He is the man He got named dropped on the podcast for the T28 that was all jacked up.....Plus he had great Utah beer and pretty much fed us the whole weekend.

We were talking about 2015 by saturdat while we were still there...lol we entertained ourselves during the rain out at 2am with a night vapor dog fight.....

crash bandicoot

There were plenty of building materials or people to help around. If I had to fly into flitefest, I would bring my tx and electronics and and buy some speed build kits and plug and flies. There were some serious discounts on planes there. I picked up a corsair for 20% off, and there was an Icon A5 UMX for $135 which was $30 off. I saw some older models for as low as $50. But yeah, speed build kits would be fine, plenty of work area in the group build tent during the day. Plus I flew quite a bit and still had more fun walking around meeting people.

PS, try to drive on I-77 to I-70 if you can, I-77 is a pretty nice stretch of highway. There are hills, you CA people wouldn't call them mountains, but to someone who lives in Kansas, they were mountains.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Two options. Bring stuff for I would say.... Two planes. buy the speed build kits there. Fly the snot out of them and then either remove the electronics and give them away or figure out a way to send them to foam heaven in a spectacular way!!!! Other wise building tools and stuff like that should be available on site

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You can always use fedex "hold for pickup" to get your supplies to a fedex office near FF15.

Fasted2629

Ok so for food the Fury family had all easy but cooked food available. There was also a few food vendors. I brought food and never even started the grille. All the food had great prices and was very good.

earthsciteach

FTFF 2014 was my second RC event, Warbirds over Delaware being my first. While WOD is really great, FTFF is easily one of the best experiences of my life in terms simply enjoying the people around me. I brought WAAAY too many planes along (despite Asbjorn's, aka Flying Circus, laughing at me as we were packing the truck. I only flew about once a day. Between volunteering and simply spending time with my favorite people on Earth (disclaimer - wife, kids and family excluded, of course ;)), I didn't even have much of a desire to fly.

Next year I will bring far less planes. If I were to come with the plan of building on-site, I wouldn't even bring motor/servos/esc's (unless I already had them on hand - wouldn't order ahead of time). There were great deals to be had from the vendors! That's where I spent the vast majority of my money. I scored some components dirt cheap.

I would bring more beer. The local selection is not very good. Corona was the best beer the local establishments had, and that ain't sayin' much!

What is there for non-flyers to do at fr? My wife has expressed interest in potentially attending this year but since she doesn't fly I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be for her

I'll definitely bring a selection of homebrew with us if we make the event. No one should choose to drink corona of their free will

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
um . . . depends on how much she likes using hot glue . . .

for non-RC enthusiasts, there's a lot of cool RC stuff that might catch attention for a few minutes. People watching is the next best activity available. If she's good at entertaining herself or chatting with other people, I'm sure she'll be fine commiserating about this dreadful hobby :black_eyed: Otherwise, it's fairly far out of town without much around.

My wife enjoys these events, but ignores all those pesky flying things . . . she finds a nice spot and paints to her heart's content. Hard to say that's a solution for everyone.

earthsciteach

Beezer - it is tough for me to answer that question. There were many family members at the event with the "pilots." Crafty Dan's wife, Nancy, is a non-RC'er. She spent the days creating an awesome painting of the surroundings. It was awesome because she painted the spirit of the event. It had very little to do with the "visual" of the event. It really blew me away.

I totally understand your question. I wish I could say there would be plenty for your wife to do, but I would worry that my wife wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time there. However, the community aspect is so amazing and people are so friendly, that if she is a "people person," she will be able to find plenty of new friends to hang out with. And, if she would be willing, we can always use volunteers! Honestly, working as a volunteer is the most fun part of the event!

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I echo Earthsciteach's comments. FTFF 2014 was just so magical. I too brought WAY too many items and flew very little. I would say bring your wife. I encountered many wives and mommies that were not flying but chatting it up with people. It was a very social event and one that I will not forget for a LONG time. It's four days that FLY fast (no pun intended). I wish it was a week long event. With that said, I would encourage her to come and see for herself. Better to know you didn't like or fell in love with an event rather not attempting to experience it all.

Just my two cents.

Can anyone provide a few details on the camping setup/available space? I have both free-standing tents and a tent that sets up in the back of my pick-up. I'd prefer the latter... so are vehicles parked in the camping area, or are they parked elsewhere and camping accouterments carried in by LPC (leather personnel carrier or foot, for the non-military folks out there)? Is there also room for a 10x10' pop-up canopy?

Thanks!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sure, Vehicles are allowed to park near their tents . . . and under them is as close as you can get.

Space is finite (limited may be too strong a word, but we'll see) so allowing others space is a good thing, but the footprint of a 10x10 + roughly 10x20 of a truck sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
for those that were there last year
did hitec/ someone have slt receivers available?
sorry im double posting

tntrcnutz

o.k. this might sound stupid ... but

where is this event located??? and when ??? and is it just limited to electric or will nitro be allowed