Flitefest 2017 Build-off?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
This isn't my project, but will this be a build contest, a build-along, or both? I'm thinking that the build could be done WAY before Spring hits, so if it's a contest voting online may be easier and more timely so we don't have to wait for FTFF in July. Plus, I'm just guessing that most people building won't be attending.

But again, either way I'm in on the build and I'm planning to be at FTFF, and if it's a contest I'm building with the goal of winning. :)

jsknockoff

Mentor
I didn't really have a competition in mind, more of just a build for the winter season and I figured we could link it to flightfest just as a way to showcase in person. I would be totally up for either event though.

How about a one design build for the beginning of winter for the guys who already build with balsa, then revisit the build along at a later date?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I like the plane and it looks like a fun build.

However, it may be a bit ambitious for a first balsa build and it's only a short kit, so the builder would need to buy additional stock plus all hardware. That pushes cost and complexity up. My recommendation is still for an easier build kit to get people's feet wet with building. Getting successful flight out of the first build should be the primary goal.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I see your point on the success factor. I really like the look of the mountain models EVA Sport, any interest in that one?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think that would be a much better choice. The nice thing with the EVA is you can get three different wings giving you completely different performance with each. Biplane, spirt wing, or 3D styles are available. Since the fuselage is the same people could be working on different versions and still take advantage of other people's work.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
IMNSHO?

I think you can't go wrong with the Little Stik. Except......maybe it should be the Middle Stik?

I don't know the electric conversion, but I think which ever Stik fits a "C" Power Pack motor size is the one you want. After all, NOBODY has EVER said that they wished that they'd built something else after having built and flown a Stik. Right? :cool:

Wanna up the cool factor? Monokote wings with economical taildragger retracts.....

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I like the Moutain Models EVA idea - a complete quality kit with a couple options for flyers of different skill levels to choose from. I think I'd get more than one wing set to begin with.

I do love a Stick, but I don't know of anybody who is currently selling more than a short kit for those. Lots of ARF's, lots of short kits, but even Tower Hobbies has the full kits marked as 'Discontinued'.

jsknockoff

Mentor
At this point I think we should go ahead with the EVA, and set a start date for the project of December 1. That's enough time for a little more exposure to the idea and for people to collect the kit and materials to complete the project. Sound good to you guys and girls?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think it was decided somewhere along the line that this would be a build-along, and not really a build-off. The big goal was get people to try building from balsa, and to use a kit that gives them the best chance of success. A U-2 would be a cool plane to build, but for a first-time balsa builder it may be a bit much.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Agreed, this time around will be a build along. However I am definitely in for a scale group build this winter once this one is finished.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
At this point I think we should go ahead with the EVA, and set a start date for the project of December 1. That's enough time for a little more exposure to the idea and for people to collect the kit and materials to complete the project. Sound good to you guys and girls?

That works for me. I can try to contact Brian at Mountain Models to see if he would be willing to offer a small discount for anybody partaking in this event.

If you've got the final details nailed down I'll suggest locking this thread and starting a new one with all the specific details on the first post. RC Groups does a good job with their builds like this, where that first post also provides a link to everybody else's build threads so it can all be organized as a central warehouse of info.

It would also be helpful for those who have never built form balsa to get a full list of what they'll need that isn't common to DTFB builds (covering material, covering iron, etc). The Mountain Models kits are pretty well set for stuff like wheels, pushrods, etc so most of that is taken care of.

It would be nice if the FT crew and the FT Community Podcast group were to give the event a shout-out on their respective podcasts, since I'm guessing the balsa forum isn't the most traveled area of the forum! :p I'll poke Earthsciteach with a sharp stick and see if he would mind.

Now if I can just sell the 1/3 scale Fly Baby kits I bought I can send some of the proceeds to MM! :)

jsknockoff

Mentor
I'm onboard with starting a new official thread. We can list all the specifics there as far as what kit, start date, build specific tools, supplies not included with the kit, and maybe a roster of who is going to do the build.

As far as hearing from the FT crew to get the word out that would be awesome. I think this is a good opportunity for some new builders to have a chance to do a build with unlimited tech support.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I think most of the wrinkles are worked out for the build along, would you guys like me to put together the new thread? If someone else would like to I won't object, I just figured we should get it going for the maximum amount of time to buy supplies.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think most of the wrinkles are worked out for the build along, would you guys like me to put together the new thread? If someone else would like to I won't object, I just figured we should get it going for the maximum amount of time to buy supplies.

I agree, better to do it early and start a new thread defining the purpose, timeline, goals, expected costs, and tools needed (plus anything else I missed). If you want, I can add a post with expected costs and the tools needed for balsa.