Flying heights and oldest RC system

Over Charged

Would like to hear the FT crews thoughts about a minimum flying height for piloted aircraft. Theres been talk about having a 3 or 4 thousand ft minimum which would allow model pilots, especially soaring a breathing space without getting stressed out. Secondly, have you guys ever shown a 1 channel RC equipment on the show?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
In the US the lowest legal "floor" is 500' AGL. Unless you're landing, you're not supposed to be below 500', and even higher if you're above a populated area or a large obstruction. Generally speaking, most RC pilots (except for gliders) stay well within 400' AGL which is far more than enough for most models. Times when many gliders are in the air (mainly competitions and soaring events) a NOTAM (notice to airmen) is published letting pilots know where and when the flying will take place. 3000'-4000' is actually relatively high for some pilots. I myself fly a Cessna 152 and rarely ever go above 3000'. Also keep in mind that at 3000' a model is barely a speck.

ZoomNBoom

In the US the lowest legal "floor" is 500' AGL. Unless you're landing, you're not supposed to be below 500'

That doesnt apply to helicopters however, or even for airplanes in sparsely populated areas. There is no minimum safe altitude in either case, there is a minimum safe distance to objects/people of 500 ft.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It's just generally a blanket rule we follow. Even if you're cruising around at 500'(ish) it's hard to spot a person, and if you're below that it's no longer a legal flight. Beyond that it's really not safe to fly with that little of recovery area.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
That doesnt apply to helicopters however, or even for airplanes in sparsely populated areas. There is no minimum safe altitude in either case, there is a minimum safe distance to objects/people of 500 ft.

Which have been ignored over my property in front of my house by CREZ Utility Copters. One came by 100' from my front door at approximately 50' elevation. How could I know that accurately? Power feeder lines to my house that he crossed and my solar panels he crossed exactly above that are exactly 100' from my back door. People are people and MANY do what they want with no regard for what is right, proper or lawful and that trend is growing exponentially every day. Self centered people only care about "SELF" with no thoughts of others. Chaos rules now!:mad:

Note: I might be in just a tiny bit of an angry fed up mood!

Thurmond