That's a lot of stuff to pick up on! (new to multi-rotors and RC)

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Hello all,

Looking for some perspective here as I continue to read up and research my first multi-rotor build. A bit of background:

I'm an adult, with a modest income... a very small bit of RC experience (protoX, a Blade nano MSRX, a micro CP heli disaster, and an RTF micro warbird foam jigsaw puzzle).

I got decent with the blade nano, but the CP micro heli I spent way too much money for didn't ever fly more than a foot off the ground before tipping over. Pretty sure the warbird (given as a gift for my birthday) turned me off of RC planes for several years after it lasted about 10 seconds. I learned the hard way with that one =)

now years later I randomly found flitetest on youtube (several weeks ago) and became interested again, mainly in the swapable and DTF scratch building. I managed to scratch out an FT flyer (no speed build kits here!), and have the electronics installed... once the weather and my time allows I plan to go out and practice some HSVLs!

Although I wanted to see how cheaply I could build the airframe, I did go ahead and purchase a decent transmitter, as well as a nice battery charger. I'm planning ahead, as I want to have something that will last a long time and be versatile (since it will be in my hands instead of in the air), and wanted something that would be able to handle many different types of models.

I did learn quite a bit from the blade nano, and even the protoX (the airframe and original props outlived the battery in the protoX if that says anything, and I pushed that little terd about as hard as you can).

flash forward to now, I've fallen down the rabbit hole researching the components needed for my own multi-copter.

My plan as of this moment is to purchase a Blade 180QX (bnf - no camera), a few extra batteries, bind it to the DX6 and fly the crap out of it in 'acro' mode to make sure I can learn to fly correctly, get a feel for things, and generally see if it's something I like as much as I think I like it =)

While I'm flying the 180qx, I'm wondering which direction to go with my build. I'm leaning strongly toward a mini spider hex, but I'm not sure if I should go all out on the frame (blackout), or go on the cheap side (thorax).

My thoughts are that the blackout is premium priced, but the build will be much more smooth due to the layout, and the power distribution board... would I be wasting my money to build a thorax first and then want the black out spider hex? I'm not against saving a bit and picking up the more expensive frame (I believe it will last as long or longer than the thorax), but I've also seen some really nice builds on a thorax.

I have a billion questions brewing in my mind, but I'll leave the novel above as a starting point. Thanks to all of you who managed to read through the rambling above and I hope it makes some sense!

narcolepticltd

a bit more specific on the hex build my brain is planning, Leaning towards a 3s set up with 1806 2300kv motors and 5x4.5 props, and leaning towards the naze32 over the KK2. I'm not planning to do FPV initially, but want to learn the same platform and upgrade it later with FPV gear when I feel ready. (LoS only for me for now!)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'm there with you. Although I also have a moderate income, a disproportional, immoderate amount of it goes to RC. I personally went with a medium 450 sized electrohub kit tricopter for my first build. The power distribution board definitely makes things go quicker, easier/faster, and more cleanly. I am now building a 250 size quad using HobbyKing bits that's cheaper, but more complicated to build. I spent a whole day building a wire harness for the motors/ESC's.

The 250 frame is definitely more durable based on what I see and hear, but I personally find it harder to build. You can still get those mini sized power distribution boards (which I would recommend for ease), but I didn't know that at the time I ordered everything. Also, if you're flying LOS, the 250 size mini quads are harder to see at a distance...

Ace2317

I built the Bat Bone and I love it, but I think my next frame will be a Blackout. I like how sturdy they are. No booms to break, everything is so clean, and all that can really break are screws that are intended to break.

narcolepticltd

I built the Bat Bone and I love it, but I think my next frame will be a Blackout. I like how sturdy they are. No booms to break, everything is so clean, and all that can really break are screws that are intended to break.

And that's exactly why I keep leaning towards that frame even with the higher cost. I really dig the batbone tri, but I haven't seen the tilt arm available since I got into flitetest (admitedly I haven't checked today). I have a feeling that if I built a batbone and a blackout in 2 parallel universes... I'd crash the same amount learning but the blackout would require less repairs.

I do really dig the bat bone though... any idea if they plan to keep producing the tilt arm? I considered using David's 3d printed one with a batbone, but there'd be a bit of modification one way or the other due to the different boom thickness they were designed for (13mm for the batbone, and 10mm for david's tilt IIRC).

Ace2317

They're about to release a "Tough Tilt" mechanism because the old tilt mechanism isn't perfect. It's pretty breakable and not mechanically efficient. From what it looks like, the new tilt will be out pretty soon (maybe next month or two).

I really enjoy the Bat Bone frame. It's a lot of fun,, but there are some caveats to tricopters that can be a little more difficult. Setup is (a little) more complicated and the booms are more breakable, but easily fixable. I hope to one day have a Blackout too.

As for flying, they're basically the same between quads and tris. The bigger tricopter will be a little more stable and the smaller quad is a little more twitchy, but you can dial it down a lot and control that. Either way, I think you'll be in good shape.

narcolepticltd

They're about to release a "Tough Tilt" mechanism because the old tilt mechanism isn't perfect. It's pretty breakable and not mechanically efficient. From what it looks like, the new tilt will be out pretty soon (maybe next month or two).

I really enjoy the Bat Bone frame. It's a lot of fun,, but there are some caveats to tricopters that can be a little more difficult. Setup is (a little) more complicated and the booms are more breakable, but easily fixable. I hope to one day have a Blackout too.

As for flying, they're basically the same between quads and tris. The bigger tricopter will be a little more stable and the smaller quad is a little more twitchy, but you can dial it down a lot and control that. Either way, I think you'll be in good shape.

That's awesome news about the tilt! I think I may end up going with the 180qx to tide me over for a little while, and maybe when that launches I'll have a better idea of my first build =)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The Knuckle H quad is about the simplest, toughest copter FT offers. Part of the learning curve you have to overcome is the fear of breaking your copter. This copter is cheaply repaired in a few minutes.

I recommend a simple, wood frame to learn on. Run the Altitude Hobbies power pack with an 1800mAh 35C or better lipo and 8045 rotors. It will do everything you want it to do, is simple to build and cheap to maintain.

narcolepticltd

I went ahead and ordered a blade 180qx (bind and fly no camera) from horizon's website, as it was on clearance ($90). Also picked up a couple extra batteries. That should tide me over for a bit while I'm deciding on parts for a real quad =P

airhawk

Crashing Ace
did anyone see this
stuff.jpg

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Stupid thing. I was about to by me a Nano QX FPV and now I'm thinking I should wait for the Nano FPV 3D... :-D

narcolepticltd

my 180qx showed up, and I just got it bound to my DX6 and took it for a spin in the backyard... this thing is great! I even put it in manual mode and did a flip (without crashing) on the first battery =)

I see lots of crashing in my future, but this thing is going to be a lot of fun! Glad I ordered extra batteries =)