Flying platform

Vlad

Uber Noob
I have a project in mind and figured I would ask the largest bank of flight knowledge I have access to. I have decided that I want to build a flying war platform with FPV and bomb drops and the like. Since I partake in Nerf wars quite regularly and many of them are outside I figured that a UAV or AC-130 style plane would work particularly well for carrying a set of bombs and maybe even an electric flywheel blaster. I know that airsoft guns have been used with success but nerf is much safer. After more thinking I started to wonder if a giant wing would be better. The first thing that popped into my head was a 200% Kraken. Surely someone has built a giant wing and has bogged it down with equipment and would have some advice for me. Thank in advance not only for being an awesome wealth of knowledge, but also for just being awesome and welcoming. Two days into my time on the forum and I have already learned so much from yall.

Team_Monkey

Welcome! Toledo is my old stomping grounds. How much building and flying have you done in the past?
If you're as new to R/C as you are to the site then my first advice is to build a few planes per plans and see how it goes. Then take that knowledge to design and build yours. Taking too large of a bite can lead to choking. Dropping screaming Nerf footballs is easy and just involves a few extra servos and rubber bands to hold the footballs.

I'll be honest though, dropping a few nerf footballs is one thing. But I'm not super keen on directions on how to build a "flying war platform". You could be a nice person or you could be looking to take down the Seagate Center.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I hope you figure out things and have a good time.

Vlad

Uber Noob
Well like I said, I need to dominate the Nerf war scene and since the Think Geek nerf nuke proved to be a hoax, I need to think outside the box.
I have done a little building in the past, mostly just from blueprints of planes and going from there. I have some full scale experience and some R/C experience. I think that taking one of the FT wing designs and blowing it up should work, but again, I just wanted to get some feedback.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Well like I said, I need to dominate the Nerf war scene and since the Think Geek nerf nuke proved to be a hoax, I need to think outside the box.
I have done a little building in the past, mostly just from blueprints of planes and going from there. I have some full scale experience and some R/C experience. I think that taking one of the FT wing designs and blowing it up should work, but again, I just wanted to get some feedback.

Haha you feel for the nerf nuke. That was awesome. Think geek did a great job.

Team_Monkey

Do mass drops count? You could add a bomb bay to any plane like Bixler did on his 200% Cruiser.
My wife won't go to the basement when my boys and I are down there because she is a priority target during our nerf battles. I love the new disk ammo rather than the crud ammo they put in the belt feed guns. The new stuff doesn't jam.

Vlad

Uber Noob
There is some flaws with the disks, namely the lack of conformity with the past. The most common ammo is the elite streamline dart, not disks. With a little modding we can clear the risks of jams and stuff. The nerf nuke would have changed the landscape of the wars I attend. If anyone is familiar with the rapidstrike, I intend to put the bare minimum electronics from that on a flying war platform.