FlySky FS-I6 trainer/sim port hack

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
So, I was tired of not having a simulator cable for my radio and as it turns out the cable I ordered is only for the firmware update so I decided to hack a standard 3.5mm jack into the radio.

It was not difficult at all, the stock port is nice enough to have a PPM pin (no proprietary protocol bullcrap!)
I just had to drill a hole and solder the tip pin of the jack to the ppm pin and ground to ground, obviously.

This is how it looks

However the jack I used was crappy so I had to use another one and place it higher on the radio, just on the side of the antenna to have enough room.

I just tried it with DRL and it works well, now I don't have to walk 20 meters to my backyard to fly!

You can also probably use it as a trainer port.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Try Hotprops or Freerider if you want a more realistic flight experience. Drl is Ok but all the flashiness gives poor performance and the flight model feels off most of the time when comparing to Hotprops and Freerider and real flying. You might actually develop bad muscle habits with having to lead your moves so much all the time.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Thanks for the advice, I already have hotprops installed but I used DRL so far because that's what I got configured first (haha lazy)

jtrops

I did the exact same thing to my i6. I actually have the correct cable, but the mini-din 6 port is pretty fragile for a cable that is being plugged/unplugged a lot. Also, I made a 10' sim cable with a right angle 3.5 plug so that it exits the radio parallel to the antenna. I just didn't like the way it stuck straight out the back. When I put the radio down it would sit right on the s-video plug.

I like the idea of using it for a trainer cable. We'll have to try that.

My radio is at school right now, but I'll post a pic when I can get one.

buzuc

Hi Fluburtur,

I'm trying to do nearly the same except that I'm connected between the DIN output and the mic input on my laptop.
But so far nothing is working. It looks like my mic is not getting the signal.
What software are you using to emulate the controller?

And by the way as we are both french it should be possible to discuss directly in French, no?

Salut

buzuc

OK, I'm also using smartproplus. But nothing is working.
I stripped my old samsung headphones and I tried to connect the pin 1 of the i6 DIN plug to the fourth ring of the jack and pin 1 to the tip of the jack.
Unfortunately I have no input through the microphone and therefore the raidio is not detected.

Could you tell me which pin of the DIN connector you are connecting and the corresponding ring on the jack?

buzuc

Great. That's what I was searching for.

Of course I'm in student mode and "ppm output" should be activated as well.

Thanks. Will try that this weekend

slowgenius

I will look again in the box today, but my FlySky FS-i6X came with a trainer cable with a usb plug on one end. I havent tried to plug it in yet to see if it is recognized.

Edit, I looked around and without modification, the port and the included cable doesnt work for trainer, which is what you guys are talking about.

Last edited: