Foamboard weight?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
With the heavier and stiffer FB you can also lighten the build by removing the internal layer of paper! I use a heavier FB here and with a few tricks, (such as removing paper in the right areas), almost any FT plan can be used to make a plane that will fly and balance well without having to resort to serious modifications or adding extra weight with larger batteries and motors!

Have fun!

Steve Fox

Hello is it possible that you could all post the weight of a full sheet of foamboard you have and name and size?

I have stuff from the range store in the UK I don't have loads of shops selling this stuff. Mine is called

Westfoam
840mm x 590mm
240grams
And very difficult to remove paper

A weight and size of the proper ft stuff would be nice thanks all
It's good to know that the range stocks it, how much do they charge for it?

I order my foamboard from ebay in 10 sheet packs which cost me £23 delivered.

whilst our foamboard is harder to peel the paper off, it's possible if you get the hang of it, pulling the paper straight up at 90 degrees is the key.

Out foamboard is much stronger than the stuff in the states, I would have our harder to work with fb over the more brittle u.s stuff all day long, the only thing that bugs me is the price we have to pay for it here, mine works out at something like £2.30 a sheet :(

Don't worry about the weight of it, forget Flite Test specs, the planes fly better when they are heavier than the official weight!

Others saying that UK foam makes planes tail heavy are wrong, the foam adds weight across the whole plane, Flite tests lighter foam means the plane is also lighter in front of the cg point, the weight of the fb be it higher or lower is applied across the whole build and does not magically just add extra in the tail.

EDIT: I've just popped into my local range store and was shocked to find they want £4 for an A1 sheet of foamboard!

I'll be sticking to the eBay seller 'papergourmet' for my foamboard and buying in the 10 sheet packs!

Last edited: