FoamCub Swappable

Gazoo

I am done! A big thank you to Shaun Martin for the killer Cub plans. Thanks to all of the other Cub builders who have inspired ideas for my build.

I built it with Ross foam board. I have not maidened it yet. I think the last thing it needs is a carbon fiber spar. I think I can just sneak one through the channel in the wing.

The gear is off of an Apprentice that was "tree lunch". The tail wheel was pieced together with random stuff I had.

Power is a Emax GT2812/10 with a 11X5.5E APC prop. 40 amp Emax ESC. Emax digital, metal gear, 9g servos. Rx is an Orange Rx with stabilization.

I did not put in flaps but left some room to cut them in if need be. I don't suspect I'll need them.

The foam was Minwaxed and painted Cub Yellow??? with a spray can I found for $2.99. Glass and zig-zaggy stripe was done with black DT poster board.

I have to say that the plans are very well done. The construction is solid! I made the cowl and windshield from foamboard instead of poster board.

Lastly...don't look too close!

Gazoo

Attachments

• 20170420_211316.jpg
    20170420_211316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20170420_211610.jpg
    20170420_211610.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20170420_211629.jpg
    20170420_211629.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Gazoo

Flew the maiden today. It's a nice flyer. No aerobatics though because I have not put a spar in the wing yet.

I only had one incident. While landing, the main gear had a side load. The gear is from an old Apprentice and if you are familiar with that one, you have to squeeze the wheels together to insert it into the notch. Well, the side load was enough to peel the gear out from under it. Not a scratch on it when it stopped but it left the gear about five feet behind.

I actually hope that I keep this one around for a while. It feels a little less "disposable" than my other planes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 3

Gazoo

Last weekend it was very windy at the park. I took off with a side wind and peeled off the landing gear again. After putting it back together (I didn't see that the battery was loose), everything went good until the battery ejected.

It actually landed nicely without any control...well, minus the gear anyway. It's all back together and ready to fly again after a little tape and glue.

I think that battery may be toast though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odIHFrFJgJI

Winglet

Hey Gazoo,

Don't worry too much about that spar. Mine has been through the ringer without any additional spar. No problem at all. NICE LOOKING BUILD you have there!

tc1.JPG

Last edited:

Gazoo

Thanks! I never did put a spar in the wing. I was pulling some nice Gs with it too.

Also, I was able to fix the battery. I had to solder on the broken ground lead and re-wrap it in some packing tape (red).

minik

my swappable foam cub

this is not my first ft build i put i used to cover the hobbyking covering film with low temperature i have no flaps:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 2

Winglet

I bought the wheels and landing gear from Hobby King. They are for the Hobby King Tundra. With some adaptation it works pretty good.

Gazoo

Had to retire the first air frame due to the paper on the ailerons peeling. Cub #2 is flying great.

I modified the cowl. The top of the nose and the windshield are one piece that can be removed. I cut a hole for access into the power pod. That is where the battery is stored. The ESC is mounted under the power pod for max airflow.

I was going to come up with a clever way to secure the removable nose but instead used a rubber band. Don't want to make it too fancy right away...

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Gazoo

UPDATE:

I flew my FoamCub yesterday just before dusk. No wind and a beautiful evening. I think this may be the best flying plane I have ever scratch built. It does want to fly upright with no shenanigans though.

PoorManRC

Master member
Here is a video of my maiden, I didn't use any flaps this first time around, but it doesn't really need it for normal flying. (If you keep an eye on the right side of the screen you can see smoke from the wild fires going on in San Diego) EnJOY!

That may be the FINEST Landing of an FT Aircraft I've EVER seen!!! :cool:👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
EVERY Video I see of these, look like a "controlled Crash" at best - EVEN Bixler's! :p:eek:

That looked like how a Real Airplane lands. Kudos!
And, this redesign of the Simple Cub is absolutely inspired!

PoorManRC

Master member
I am done! A big thank you to Shaun Martin for the killer Cub plans. Thanks to all of the other Cub builders who have inspired ideas for my build.

I built it with Ross foam board. I have not maidened it yet. I think the last thing it needs is a carbon fiber spar. I think I can just sneak one through the channel in the wing.

The gear is off of an Apprentice that was "tree lunch". The tail wheel was pieced together with random stuff I had.

Power is a Emax GT2812/10 with a 11X5.5E APC prop. 40 amp Emax ESC. Emax digital, metal gear, 9g servos. Rx is an Orange Rx with stabilization.

I did not put in flaps but left some room to cut them in if need be. I don't suspect I'll need them.

The foam was Minwaxed and painted Cub Yellow??? with a spray can I found for $2.99. Glass and zig-zaggy stripe was done with black DT poster board.

I have to say that the plans are very well done. The construction is solid! I made the cowl and windshield from foamboard instead of poster board.
Lastly...don't look too close!
Gazoo

BEAUTIFUL looking Cub Gazoo!!!

Winglet

I recently finished my second FoamCub.

I've enjoyed my original for several years now and just wanted to try a few things different on a second build. My first Cub was constructed from the recommended (heavy) Elmer's Foam Board. Since my first one was built, Flite Test has come out with their very own Makersfoam. This stuff while not as durable it is extremely light. It is lighter than Dollar Tree Board. So I had to try it.

The new airplane was built entirely from the new foam except I stuck with Elmer's on the tail feathers for durability. While I don't have a scale I know my version 2 is much lighter. The first build required a bunch of weight in the nose to bring in the CG. The newest one because the tail section is so much lighter required zero ballast to bring the CG in perfectly using a 3s 2200. This alone saves a LOT of weight. By the way, the entire airplane is covered in Oracal 651 Vinyl.

So how does it fly? It flys better than the original. Basically it does on 3 cells what the heaver airplane needed 4 for. I also added the flaps on number 2 and I really like those as they are fun to use. This is a very sweet flyer on the 900kv motor from a Tundra and 12x6 propeller. We are using it a lot at our club field to tow gliders. Rips them right up on 3 cells. We mostly tow FT Simple Soarers and Gentle Ladies.

I know the FoamCub looks like a trainer and it really isn't hard to fly but I wouldn't recommend as a first trainer. This airplane is best flown and enjoyed by an old school pilot that knows how to use rudder and flaps. It requires coordination between the rudder and the ailerons to fly well and you should also know what you are doing with the flaps. If you are a yank and bank kind of pilot or lean on AS3X you probably won't get this airplane. This one is for old school guys like me. I LOVE IT!
ORG.JPG

Attachments

• big orange cub.JPG
    big orange cub.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • or2.PNG
    or2.PNG
    290.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I recently finished my second FoamCub.

I've enjoyed my original for several years now and just wanted to try a few things different on a second build. My first Cub was constructed from the recommended (heavy) Elmer's Foam Board. Since my first one was built, Flite Test has come out with their very own Makersfoam. This stuff while not as durable it is extremely light. It is lighter than Dollar Tree Board. So I had to try it.

The new airplane was built entirely from the new foam except I stuck with Elmer's on the tail feathers for durability. While I don't have a scale I know my version 2 is much lighter. The first build required a bunch of weight in the nose to bring in the CG. The newest one because the tail section is so much lighter required zero ballast to bring the CG in perfectly using a 3s 2200. This alone saves a LOT of weight. By the way, the entire airplane is covered in Oracal 651 Vinyl.

So how does it fly? It flys better than the original. Basically it does on 3 cells what the heaver airplane needed 4 for. I also added the flaps on number 2 and I really like those as they are fun to use. This is a very sweet flyer on the 900kv motor from a Tundra and 12x6 propeller. We are using it a lot at our club field to tow gliders. Rips them right up on 3 cells. We mostly tow FT Simple Soarers and Gentle Ladies.

I know the FoamCub looks like a trainer and it really isn't hard to fly but I wouldn't recommend as a first trainer. This airplane is best flown and enjoyed by an old school pilot that knows how to use rudder and flaps. It requires coordination between the rudder and the ailerons to fly well and you should also know what you are doing with the flaps. If you are a yank and bank kind of pilot or lean on AS3X you probably won't get this airplane. This one is for old school guys like me. I LOVE IT! View attachment 170643
Great looking build! I've been wanting to do a glider-tow for quite a while now. I haven't decided on a platform yet though.

Winglet

We are finding it surprising easy to tow small gliders. The FaomCub really works awesome. I like to use a 3 cell and do the entire tow with 1/3 flaps. The nose stays pointed down in the climb a little more that way and it is just real stable. Doing the same with a HK Tundra. Many others would work as well. Its a really fun activity.