Fokker Dr.1 Triplane Build Log

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
One of my favorites!! I am building six indoor DR 1's for my club, there are so many color variations it'd hard to choose. Really like how your build is coming along. I may have to try one.
Really cool! You need your own thread for them, so we can talk about them and you can post up video and such!

Madspadder

I actually started a thread called the cartoon Fokker in the ultra micros section, so love to have you check it out. These are kits called the Fokkerish and have a 25" wingspan. I don't want to post here and take away from this thread. Love seeing how this balsa build goes.

Last edited:

Madspadder

These were kits I purchased for $40.00 each when I ordered 3 at a time. Kits were well packaged and came in 3 days. Not sure if there are plans. I will post pics on the ultra micro thread to give scratch builders an idea of how the plane is built. Here is the link: https://www.buzzardmodels.com/

TooJung2Die

Master member
I doubt you'll find free plans available for a kit that's commercially sold. Only Flite Test gives away free plans to anyone who would rather cut their own foam. Best option is to draw plans based on rough dimensions gleaned from the photos. If I bought one of these kits the first thing I'd do is make templates from the foam pieces.

Madspadder

I gotta build one too. Must. Have. Plans. I'll check the ultra micro forum.
I will post pictures of the last kit I am building for you scratch builders on my thread in the ultra micros tomorrow if I have time to start the kit. Real easy build, not a lot of parts. The plywood parts could be substituted with foam board for ease of construction.

TriplaneGuy

White strut failings would almost hide the fourth wing by drawing attention to them. Mind you once it is done we will agree it will be a sweet looking plane and the both of us would like one in the hangar to play with (y)(y)
Thanks for all the input! I think what I’ll do is make a final call on the colour after I’ve covered the other wings (I’m Canadian which means we never make decisions and then apologize for it :)). Once the wings are covered I’ll be able to step back from it and see what looks best.

Last edited:

TriplaneGuy

I managed to get a little work done on the plane over the holidays. Added the decals on the upper wing and started building the guns. I still need to figure out the correct positioning and how to mount them.

IMG_3014_1.jpg

IMG_3013_1.jpg

IMG_3016_1.jpg

Madspadder

I found a picture that shows the guns if you haven't already mounted them. Looks like they stop just before the cowl. I am working on a 1/4 scale foam Dr 1 so looking forward to how yours turns out.

Attachments

• DSCF7468-960x541.jpg
    DSCF7468-960x541.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I found a picture that shows the guns if you haven't already mounted them. Looks like they stop just before the cowl. I am working on a 1/4 scale foam Dr 1 so looking forward to how yours turns out.
I wonder what the aerodynamic and engineering advantage there is to having a small round Vstab

TriplaneGuy

Thanks for the photo. I had looked at a few different ones and some had the guns close to the cockpit and others more towards the cowl. I think the issue is the guns with this kit aren't very long, so I decided to mount them on a relatively flat spot evenly between the cowl and cockpit. I also made a windshield (not historically accurate I know, but it felt like it needed something). I carved a frame out of spare wood and used nail heads to simulate rivets.

Is your 1/4 scale Dr 1 a kit? Which one is it? Please post some photos if you have some.

IMG_3058_1.jpg

IMG_3055_1.jpg

IMG_3053_2.jpg

Madspadder

That's really looking good. One of my absolute favorite planes. I am actually scratch building it using1/2" pink foam. The plans were from a Steve Schumate park flier plan that I enlarged to get a 72" wing. I have it all cut out, just need to figure the inner structure to support motor and landing gear. I will definitely start a thread when I get going on it. The little "Fokkerish" kits have had most of my attention lately, just finishing the 6th kit.

Attachments

• 82174100_2667502723330115_4743544980453195776_n.jpg
    82174100_2667502723330115_4743544980453195776_n.jpg
    966.6 KB · Views: 0

TriplaneGuy

One minor issue with the kit is a seat in the cockpit that slides in and out with nothing to hold it in place. I didn't want to glue it in case I needed to access the elevator and rudder servos (which are underneath it), so I built two small levers out of extra wood and aileron hinges to hold the seat in place (I can swing them inward to "unlock" the seat and remove it), then painted them black so they're a bit hidden.

IMG_3059_2.jpg

IMG_3061_1.jpg

IMG_3073_1.jpg