Fortis TITAN XL - Custom build.

ikem

So I needed a larger platform, but loved the Fortis TITAN.

I didn't up scale it exactly, but kinda designed frame plates around the idea of the TITAN.

I planned on making this just a larger version of the TITAN, but then decided to go with a Y6.

Parts:

6x Sunnysky x3108s 900kv
6x Velotech 40a ESC
APM 2.6 with GPS
AR8000 DSMx
TM1000 DSMx
MinimOSD
IRC 800mw 5.8 Vtx
AttoPilot 180a Current Sensor

Flite Test 10 degree arm plates

and a Gimbal in the future.

I am waiting on the rest of the motors and escs, and I need some more 1/2 wood. (I wish I could find some 1/2 carbon) I think 10mm would be a little small.

I am working on the motor mounts right now, and they are roughed up to test strength. They are solid, and I just have to cut the access off and shape them.

The frame plates are 1/8 delrin, cut and dremel'ed to shape. The frame will still fold up just like the TITAN.

Any Ideas on landing gear? Thanks for looking!

2015-03-08 21.07.18.jpg
2015-03-12 12.22.24.jpg
2015-03-12 12.21.59.jpg
2015-03-12 12.21.52.jpg

jipp

wow, them some beefy looking motors, the boom looks skinny in comparison.
surprised you cant get fiber carbon in larger dimensions. you could always laminate your own booms to make them stronger than just regular wood.

chris.

Last edited:

ikem

I can get some larger carbon fiber, but the folding action would suffer, and look weird.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
It makes my Titan look like a baby!
Eager to see your progress.
I'm interested in a Mobius gimbal for my Fortis once I know I won't wreak it in the first 30 seconds..... (c8

Best regards,
PCH

ikem

I need to get landing gear.... flights went AWESOME. very windy today so just putted around in the dead air in the back yard.

It is insanely powerful. Hover around 30%, and rockets off at 100%. AUW is 2.2kg with the setup shown. Charging up my 6000mah to see how hover times will be. (6000mah is in the picture)

2015-03-15%2011.49.32.jpg

2015-03-15%2011.49.42.jpg

jipp

with the tail boom angled up reminded me of a scorpion.. very cool looking with the under and over motors swinging carbon blades.
wicked! looks like a landing gear will make it less stressful to take off and land. :p
chris.

ikem

with the tail boom angled up reminded me of a scorpion.. very cool looking with the under and over motors swinging carbon blades.
wicked! looks like a landing gear will make it less stressful to take off and land. :p
chris.

if the grass was taller i would have a lawn mower :D

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Looks great ikem. What kind of sway or swing movement do you get with the plastic tubing as isolation? Having the screw axis' offset like you do, I imagine it's very stable.

ikem

it inst offset, just squished because the whole thing is resting on the tray.

so around 16-17 min of flight time.

143A was just for a few seconds on a throttle punch, I have a 180a AttoPilot current sensor built it the system. Good I got that.

Battery(V) Vcc(V) Current(A) Used Cap(mAh)
Max 11.96 4.96 143.16 1240

Overall Flight Time = 205 seconds, 3:25

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

jipp

beast mode.. i want to build a larger AP multirrotor like that in a year or so.. i hope by then i will have the experience flying/building.... and the knowledge to use it, and get some good photos:d
what gimbal did you order"?

chris.

p.s

do you have a shot of your tail tilt device?

Last edited:

ikem

beast mode.. i want to build a larger AP multirrotor like that in a year or so.. i hope by then i will have the experience flying/building.... and the knowledge to use it, and get some good photos:d
what gimbal did you order"?

chris.

p.s

do you have a shot of your tail tilt device?

Thanks, it is a Y6 so I don't use a tilt, but I got a tough tilt for the old TITAN frame.

ikem

not impressed with this Turnigy Nano-tech.... Died at ~11 min. Puffed really bad at 4658, which is only 77%....

Any high C batteries you guys suggest? Need Around 160A burst and 100A continuous. Also around 6000mah.

Battery(V) Vcc(V) Current(A) Used Cap(mAh) Eff(mA/mim)
Max 11.93 5.01 94.86 4658 N/A
Avg 0.00 0.00 26.44 N/A 433.98
Min 5.32 4.69 0.48 N/A N/A
Overall Flight Time = 644 seconds, 10:44

ikem

Yep. All the top ones are CW, and the bottoms are CCW.

I really notice the difference in yaw (dont have as much now...) but I have ALOT of tuning to do... it is really twitchy now... PIDs are out of wack.

Still very windy...

jipp

trying to tune in that wind must suck too. hard to know which way to go yeah. she looks good tho in the air.
chris.