Fortis TITAN Build

ikem

A few more upgrades that I am testing out.

Got a DX8 and AR8000. I can now run 6 different flight modes, and have 3 DR/Expo combos. I am mainly testing out all the flight modes and DR settings.

I upgraded to 13x5.5 props in order to get a little more lift, and flight time. I am setting around 25% more flight time with these props. It was windy so I was seeing if the props were catching wind more. It wasn't that bad.

grant3d

Hey guys, I had posted on ikem's article but it looks like there's a bit more activity over here and a lot more info. I have some newb questions so brace yourselves ;)

First of all, awesome build! I'm hoping to do something similar for my own. I saw the fortis frame randomly on youtube and have been very interested ever since. I've been flying helicopters for awhile now, nothing crazy just forward flight and very weak 3D :p I have never built my own multirotor but the FPV aspect really interests me. I'm not super DIY so my questions kind of revolve around that. I would like to avoid soldering but I am willing to learn if its necessary to build one of these things. So here we go:

Where are you guys buying all the servo extensions and power wires at efficient lengths for less connections? Also, what about the power distribution? Is there a premade harness you guys prefer? I would like to avoid soldering if I can. I'm also unfamiliar with the battery connections themselves if you have any advice on that. I'm used to little 200mah batteries on the mcpx. I'll be going with a spektrum receiver to go along with my dx6i, the AR 6100 seems to fit the bill. Man a pcpartspicker.com equivalent for this would be awesome right about now ;) I'm loving your sleeving work so I'm definitely going to check out lutro0. I'm sorta waiting on the sunnysky motors to be back in stock somewhere but I could be swayed. Thanks in advance!

ikem

The only soldiering I had to do was the ESC extentions. Which I wanted a certain length. They have premade ones you can get.

A little update. I have gotten the gimbal back up and working. Still messing around with the PIDs on alexmos.

My battery study has gotten a little better. Here is what I got so far.

batterycharts.JPG

ikem

dang it... broke the Rudd D/R and Mix switch on my DX8. Along with the Ant... It is still fine, but it is now taped...

Ordered a new ant, and found some flat switches and ordered 10...

Tri is ok i think, it also took a tumble, but looks ok.

ikem

Ugh, someone called the FAA on me.

Got a call today.

saying that i fly low around houses....

well i have apm gps maps to show that I dont even travel around houses.

Last edited:

baddox

Don't show them anything that could even remotely be used as evidence against you. I wouldn't respond to any inquiries whatsoever.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
You would help yourself by reading the FAA regulations regarding flying model aircraft near people and the min allowed distance. In Australia under CASAregs it is 30m and you are not allowed to fly over a populated area. The FAA will also need proof that you are doing and until that happens they are just pissing into the wind.

Know the rules and stand up for yourself if you are not breaking them. All the phone call was for was to scare you into stopping it and I'm sure it works most of the time.

I recently had a run in with a crazy horse lady who called the council, Police and RSPCA on me but because I stood my ground and knew the rules they all backed down and let me continue to fly.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Was the call from that video near the river? I'm curious how they got your name and address? Maybe from your car tag?

But, believe me, there's always one person out of the thousands who don't enjoy seeing it fly, who subscribe to the Alex Jones paranoia, no matter how conscientious and respectful you are to people.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FGA,

You have CASA on your side (weird that you do, but you do). You have rules you must comply with -- they might be troublesome, but they're defined. If you stay within those rules, you've got no worries.

The FAA has been dealing with the model aircraft *for decades* by a Laissez-faire school of managment -- if it doesn't bear a human passneger, the've published non-binding guidelines and settled down into a nap since no one complained . . . until now.

They've been given mandate from Congress to develop rules to fully manage the airspace, but I dont' expect even a first draft until the VERY last minute in FY2015, and even then they likely won't go through the review and lobbying processes to become effective until 2017 :p

Due to hype and fear, they had implemented stupid rules that cover only commercial applications that don't work and, again, aren't binding. Trappy's case may be in appeal, but I'd be shocked if it gets reversed. Leagally it appears to be unregulated . . . and the courts have already agreed once.

I agree, the call was a scare tactic. I'm kinda surprised they even found the phone number to call. If I see a multirotor, unless I see where it lands and know who recovered it, the random "there's a drone over my backyard" call leaves the FAA with almost nothing to go on.

Word of advice . . . if it's possible, be nice to your neighbors . . .

ikem

1. so all in all i have been in touch with the local police since I purchased my TITAN, my neighbor is the captain of the police department , and I have talked with the chief. They understand what I do and that I know the regulations and laws.

2. I have all the gps logs from the APM to cover my ass. And any video from flights.

3. the river video was all over public land. (except the video fisheye, but i know and contacted those houses.)

I will see if anything else happens, but I don't know who it may have been.

The TITAN is in pieces anyway from a bad fall, with parts on order. So i have no multirotor right now.

Thanks guys.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
FGA,

You have CASA on your side (weird that you do, but you do). You have rules you must comply with -- they might be troublesome, but they're defined. If you stay within those rules, you've got no worries.

The FAA has been dealing with the model aircraft *for decades* by a Laissez-faire school of managment -- if it doesn't bear a human passneger, the've published non-binding guidelines and settled down into a nap since no one complained . . . until now.

They've been given mandate from Congress to develop rules to fully manage the airspace, but I dont' expect even a first draft until the VERY last minute in FY2015, and even then they likely won't go through the review and lobbying processes to become effective until 2017 :p

Due to hype and fear, they had implemented stupid rules that cover only commercial applications that don't work and, again, aren't binding. Trappy's case may be in appeal, but I'd be shocked if it gets reversed. Leagally it appears to be unregulated . . . and the courts have already agreed once.

I agree, the call was a scare tactic. I'm kinda surprised they even found the phone number to call. If I see a multirotor, unless I see where it lands and know who recovered it, the random "there's a drone over my backyard" call leaves the FAA with almost nothing to go on.

Word of advice . . . if it's possible, be nice to your neighbors . . .

Agreed Crafty. I fly full sized aircraft and am in charge of the airworthiness section for gliders in my state so deal with CASA a lot. I'm just about to head interstate for a conference with them about airworthiness matters.

Most of the time when the local council or police go to talk to someone they expect it to be a younger person and using a little scare tactics usually fixes things up for them quickly. If you know the rules and can back it up with the documents they back down very quickly. CASA usually doesn't get involved because they have bigger fish to fry. I do feel lucky because at least CASA has some regs in place. The FAA sounds totally useless right now.

I agree about getting friendly with the neighbors. It's always best to try and do the right thing early on and most people are fine with it. My problem stemmed from flying at the park when only gliders are allowed but some guys came down and spooked this lady's horses with a gas powered plane. I did the right thing with my DLG glider and she was very abusive to me even though I was doing nothing wrong and not scaring her horses and never have. Anyway, long story short after having interviews with many authorities it was found I was doing no wrong and could continue. If I ever have or ever do scare her horses I will gladly move on but after 2 years it has not happened. She just got cranky cause she couldn't get her way. Bottom line is know the rules, follow them and stand up for yourself if you do.

ikem

parts came today. Got 1 arm done over the lunch hour. Running power through the carbon now. Also shortened the arms my about 1 inch.

2014-05-30%2013.18.22.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Awesome IKEM. Putting the wires inside truly gives a tri an extra bump in class and appearance. The ever-so-slight increase in thrust column efficiency is just a nice bonus. :cool:

You may have done it, but there's a definite precautionary measure to do when running the wires inside the 10x10mm square booms.

...from another post...

One IMPORTANT tip David fails to mention in his tutorial is the ABSOLUTE NEED to round and smooth the ends of the inside of the boom openings. The carbon square tubes come with VERY sharp, perfect 90 degree edges. If this is not done, the wire insulation WILL chafe or wear over time, exposing the wire. MOST especially if you continuously fold the arms back and forth for transport. To add insult to injury, the carbon fiber is highly conductive, so it really doesn't matter if there's only one wire exposed and touching the opening. . . it will seek out, through the rest of the frame and the screws, another source of connection.

David's designs are generally well thought through, and I was somewhat surprised he missed this critical aspect in his tutorial.

Chaff.jpg

Last edited:
I JUST got my titan setup up and running and then I go see this idea to sent the wiring through the frames...SMH. I'm definitely doing that now, looks awesome!