FPV for a Glider

noodleNT

I want to take the jump into FPV. I am looking for a setup with the following: goggles that support Pan\Tilt, Pan\Tilt camera mount, transmitter\reciever and OSD. Trying to figure out the best setup hasn't been easy. There are so many options out there and not sure what works well with what. I don't care too much about lag right now as this is a slow flying glider. I want video quality over lag if possible. The goal for me is to get the feeling I'm "up there". I already have a GoPro that I thought I could use. Can you fly FPV through it at the same time you record?

Any suggestions on a rig? I was thinking something in the 5ghz range but open to suggestions.

Last edited:

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Hi,
I made some tests myself with a FT Simple Soarer and a HK asw28.
Just a cmos cam on the FTSS and a pan only system + mobius +e-osd and gps on the asw28.
I agree, video lag is not really important on a glider.
I made one test with a SJ4000 cam without any fairing (same shape as a gopro) and it was like flying with airbrakes out on my asw28 (2.6 meters).
Now, I plan to use my mobius with an extension cable (mobius case in the glider, only the sensor cam outside) a pan syst and a fairing.
But first, I have to reinforce (again) the wings of that glider, they still flex too much losing a lot of energy in 'flapping' :D

Using sound (just add a mic in the fuselage) from the glider is also very useful, giving a good indication on the true airspeed (not ground speed like a gps).
You can also put a yaw string on the canopy in front of the cam, giving you a slide/slip indicator (like a full size glider).

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I want to take the jump into FPV. I am looking for a setup with the following: goggles that support Pan\Tilt, Pan\Tilt camera mount, transmitter\reciever and OSD. Trying to figure out the best setup hasn't been easy. There are so many options out there and not sure what works well with what. I don't care too much about lag right now as this is a slow flying glider. I want video quality over lag if possible. The goal for me is to get the feeling I'm "up there". I already have a GoPro that I thought I could use. Can you fly FPV through it at the same time you record?

Any suggestions on a rig? I was thinking something in the 5ghz range but open to suggestions.

For the question about the GoPro, yes you can record and use it as FPV. The GoPro 1 and 2 will need a phono style video out jack. The newer GoPros I believe have it on the USB connector. Either way you need to just buy an adapter and video transmitter.

One thing if you are going to use the GoPro with pan and tilt, make sure you have hefty enough servos that can handle the weight of the GoPro during a hard landing.

noodleNT

How do you hook up the Pan\Tilt controls? Do you use a second receiver or is there a special all in one control board? I am looking at FatShark for the goggles and head control.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
If you want to use head tracking you will need goggles that support it first and foremost (most fatsharks do). You can get a kit that attaches to the goggles if yours don't support it. However I have heard quite a few people say they have issues with those aftermarket devices. Next you will need to have a radio that will support at least 2 more channels than your model will use (so if the model is 4 channels you will need 6 channels) you will need a cable that interfaces your goggles to your transmitter via the trainer port.

Basically the pan and tilt servos or gimbal motors are plugged into two of the aux ports on the receiver. The goggles will essentially use those aux ports to control the direction of the camera.