FPV Laser Tag w/motor cutoff

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Heres an idea i had yesterday. Not sure how feasible it is. Some seems easy and some i have no idea.

Basically each person will have a Infrared "gun" and multiple infrared sensors on each plane. The infrared sensors are "somehow" connected in a way that when they receive infrared (a hit) it completes a 1-5v circuit connected to the A2 port on your frsky receiver. This is a voltage telemetry port. Back at your transmitter put in a program that when voltage is read on A2 it overrides channel 3 for 2 seconds (no motor). You could program in "lives" or more fun maybe each additional hit, the seconds of cutout goes up by 3 seconds. So 4 hits in and your cutout is going to be 14 seconds long. Last person up wins.

The taranis programming would be totally doable, its the infrared stuff i know nothing about. Basically we just need something that will complete a 0-5v circuit when infrared hits it. Too you will probably want a somewhat narrow beam and something that can shoot a good distance.

if you wanted a "scale" setup you could have each sensor register a different voltage. Left wing 1v, Right wing 2v, etc. That way when you are "hit" in the left wing:

If a2=1v Than disable channel 1
If a2=2v than disable channel 5
etc

no elevator for 3 seconds?? oh crap.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Cool idea to be able to "shoot down" the aircraft, but do you really want a model that can randomly loose control?

Throttle I'd get, but loose an aileron and it might take a trip toward the pilots/onlookers.

That and daylight is notoriously rough on IR gear. That big uncontrolled fusion plant in the sky wrecking yet another fun activity!!!

thenated0g

Mentor
well it could be anything that emits something that can be received and is not very expensive to purchase.
actually what got me thinking about it is stoneblueairlines.com EPP p51. That thing could take some hits im guessing.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Do a little geo fence setup so if you exceed the box the plane recovers on its own.

thenated0g

Mentor
Seems like it would have the same issues as normal combat when one aileron is disabled. But even just losing motor would be pretty great. That added in with some sounds on your transmitters telling you that you are hit...be pretty great with a small group of friends.

smithhayward

Large Child
WOW! Just WOW! I'm "soon" going to be getting into arduino and that fun stuff. I can't say I'd even be ABLE to do anything like this, but it sounds like a cool idea to shoot for. Can investigate using laser pointers too, but you might get a stander-by in the eye.

I'll try to stay engaged with this idea. I'm new at flying myself, but I'm just a huge fan of AWESOME IDEAS!

thenated0g

Mentor
WOW! Just WOW! I'm "soon" going to be getting into arduino and that fun stuff. I can't say I'd even be ABLE to do anything like this, but it sounds like a cool idea to shoot for. Can investigate using laser pointers too, but you might get a stander-by in the eye.

I'll try to stay engaged with this idea. I'm new at flying myself, but I'm just a huge fan of AWESOME IDEAS!

Im sure you could do some pretty amazing stuff with this and an arduino. It seems though that we could do this initially very simple. An simple circuit containing a power source (5v) and a sensor that lets the power thru when it detects the light/sound source.

Hope somebody can come up with something. Would be great to have a cheap easy setup.

smithhayward

Large Child
I'm wondering if you could maybe channel some high-frequency sound through some sort of directional tube so that it's not just like throwing a sound grenade, but actually having to aim.

Basscor

So I also had thought of a way to do this and decided I would try and hack the Tiger LTTO blasters:

81Aop2-vfaL._SX450_.jpg

They have a really good range and have all the protocols already implemented. Range during the day is about 200 foot and 300+ at night, but it's a very narrow beam so you have to be accurate ;)

I have about 8 guns and I think I will make it my winter project to get a couple ready for FPV