windyhillhobbies - 4 Axis CNC hot wire cutter - Build / Review / Discussion

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@thenated0g I've been following your progress on "LeFish" on instagram and this CNC hotwire is just too cool. I'm currently working on a project where this would have made a huge difference! Cutting out 54 individual wing ribs sucks... :LOL:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
@thenated0g I've been following your progress on "LeFish" on instagram and this CNC hotwire is just too cool. I'm currently working on a project where this would have made a huge difference! Cutting out 54 individual wing ribs sucks... :LOL:
Yeah for that it definitely helps.
Lefish is coming along. I have some footage I have been collecting I'll get it into a video soon here's some pictures.
PXL_20201016_234822889.jpg PXL_20201018_162415135.jpg PXL_20201018_162700447.jpg PXL_20201102_145007570.jpg PXL_20201102_145015268.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

That turned out great Nate. Looked super floaty to me but I got no idea what most slopers are supposed to look like in action. It almost looked helicopterish having it go nose down attitude and looked like the wind had to push from underneath to make it get enough air speed to actually have lift. Still looked like you had a lot of fun specially when you got way out and low to the left side. Seems like it came back easy enough though.

Anyways good to see you out n about still healthy n strong.

thenated0g

Mentor
Yes, i waited until the windiest part of the day and i realize now i could probably have tossed it out when it was like12 or 15mph. Just so hard to know with these big planes. I realized i hadnt posted on this thread in a while. Heres what i am working on now on the hot cutter, just something i was messing around with in a cg calculator and liked it. 60" wingspan. will have 2 vertical tails kind of like a jet. Slope soarer.
PXL_20210924_160023476.jpg PXL_20210924_202724214.jpg PXL_20210925_032314076.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes, i waited until the windiest part of the day and i realize now i could probably have tossed it out when it was like12 or 15mph. Just so hard to know with these big planes. I realized i hadnt posted on this thread in a while. Heres what i am working on now on the hot cutter, just something i was messing around with in a cg calculator and liked it. 60" wingspan. will have 2 vertical tails kind of like a jet. Slope soarer.
View attachment 208415 View attachment 208416 View attachment 208417

Looks almost like a Klingon Bird of Prey. Might be some inspiration for added details?

Kling BOPjpg.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
mocked up some verticals out of foam board yesterday. Just trying to get a feel for the angle i like. I got some super bright automotive leds coming, break light red, and some white. try and give it some "jets" if i can fit the parts in the thin trailing edge area.
Capture.JPG

thenated0g

Mentor
Oh hey i started a seperate log for the auklet if you havent noticed lol.

Also started working on v2 of my 2m plank i made a year ago. Now that i know it flies im adding the ballast tube (24" long 23mm tube). Its now called "that damn barn door" as thats what martin called it at Sunset campn fly when i took out his plane lol