FPV Noob Help: Powering Video Transmitter

Blink

Hey,

Looking to get my first FPV Setup on my Multi-rotor. I see a lot of setups now are running the Video Transmitter power right off the Main battery power instead of having another power source. My question is how and where do you route that power? Looking to pick up TX5G6 Mini 600mW 5.8GHz so I wont need to worry about stepping down my voltage, more so curious about how I am going power to the transmitter. I have been looking and some setups run power through a voltage regulator to "Clean" up the video feed a little bit, does that actually work out?

Currently I am running 3s 1500 - 2200 lipo's

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
-Blink

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Work? Yes, assuming it needs cleaning.

Some VTX's are more sensitive to others in passing along power-line noise. A voltage regulator by definition is a low-pass filter for power with a DC offset, doing it's best to filter out any variation in voltage form the input side. Switching regulators in particular have a large LC filter on the output stage just to meet it's regulation needs . . . which may be just what you need for your filtering

That being said, some do make their own ripple -- Noise -- particularly switching regulators. Is it bad enough to matter? Dunno. How bad is the ripple? how sensitive is the VTX to the ripple?

So the question comes back around . . . are you seeing noise on your VRX that changes with throttle? intensifies at certain throttle settings? If not, you may be one of the lucky ones and not need it for that setup. Fly with what you've got. Move the same gear to another airframe or dramatically change the power system . . . and suddenly it's a problem? then it's time to address the issue.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hey,

Looking to get my first FPV Setup on my Multi-rotor. I see a lot of setups now are running the Video Transmitter power right off the Main battery power instead of having another power source. My question is how and where do you route that power? Looking to pick up TX5G6 Mini 600mW 5.8GHz so I wont need to worry about stepping down my voltage, more so curious about how I am going power to the transmitter. I have been looking and some setups run power through a voltage regulator to "Clean" up the video feed a little bit, does that actually work out?

Currently I am running 3s 1500 - 2200 lipo's

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
-Blink

There are some video transmitters with built in voltage regulators. ImmersionRC and Fatshark for example can handle everything from a 2S pack up to I believe 6S. Meaning you don't need to drop voltage down. That is how most people can run it off the main pack. As Dan said though I wouldn't worry about an isolated power source or LC filters unless you are indeed having interference problems. More electronics means more complication, weight, and points of failure.

Blink

Thanks for the help guys! This should be a good starting point for me to take a crack at it!