FPV vtx and camera question

Hi there! Just got my FPV stuff yesterday and ran into a few problems

Problem 1:
The camera I got, Sony 700tvl, may or may not have its polarity reversed. I've heard someone mention that these cameras aren't always correct with its wires and connection inside the unit. I've tried opening the camera, but I cannot see anywhere where it tells me what goes where, there's no indication. So how do I check if it is? Should I just risk frying the camera and having to buy a new one?

Problem 2:
The camera uses 12v for power. Someone told me that my transmitter only outputs 5v to the camera, so I'd have to solder the power to the camera directly from the battery power to the vtx. The thing is, that the manual says its VOUT voltage is = DC IN voltage. Will this be true?

Thanks,
Nikolai

Update: opened the camera and was bummed that it did not say on the print if VOUT, + and - were on the right places, but I followed the lines, and it seems that it's right. Problem 1 solved.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Depending on the transmitter... Some do indeed have a 5V out, some do not. If you have an immersion or fatshark product they do have the 5V out. since you have a 12V camera you if your main pack is 3S you should be okay running the camera directly from the main pack. If not you will either need to use a separate 3S battery or use a voltage rectifier such as a Pololu or other similar device to step up or down the voltage to 12V your camera needs.

Alternatively you could source a 5V camera and connect it to your transmitter's 5V out which would simplify your setup.

Last edited:
Depending on the transmitter... Some do indeed have a 5V out, some do not. If you have an immersion or fatshark product they do have the 5V out. since you have a 12V camera you if your main pack is 3S you should be okay running the camera directly from the main pack. If not you will either need to use a separate 3S battery or use a voltage rectifier such as a Pololu or other similar device to step up or down the voltage to 12V your camera needs.

Alternatively you could source a 5V camera and connect it to your transmitter's 5V out which would simplify your setup.

The problem is, that I am not sure if the transmitter outputs 12 or 5 volts. In the manual, it says that VOUT is equal to DC IN, but I'm not sure I should trust that.
It's a TS351. Some other numbers on it: TS2501-2.0 Rev: 1.2.