Fr Sky Taranis Chat. Questions/Answers/Share

HawkMan

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

so I got my package of fine solder tools today, tip activator, metal brush tip cleaner that also acts as activator and both will retin the tip. flux pen. desolder wick(which was absolutely useless, even at the highest temp on my solder station which should be 450-490 ish, I'm thinking it's because of the damn lead free solder they use in production today.

so I get to work, give up on the wick and just figure I'll get the old antenna wire off before I try to get rid of the old tin, so I start with the biggest(ground) solder, and it melts right away without the wick of course my iron is still at the hottest. and as I carefully lift it lose, not only does it come lose, I manage to get the whole pathway on the board from the signal solder point to the chip...OMG!!!

Off to BoltRC to order a new backboard I guess, I'm not sure if anyone else have them and he has them pre soldered.

Be warned if you're soldering those though, those patches are extremely thin and will rip loose with the slightest touch.

HawkMan

Sad fact, the replacement back board from BoltRC's uk store with a 5dbi antenna and pre soldered SMA connector cost less than the soldering stuff I order, never mind if I add the 5dbi antenna I also ordered with pigtail that hasn't arrive from the german ebay seller.oh well. the solder stuff will be useful in the future anyway and necessary tools for future soldering anyway.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
so I got my package of fine solder tools today, tip activator, metal brush tip cleaner that also acts as activator and both will retin the tip. flux pen. desolder wick(which was absolutely useless, even at the highest temp on my solder station which should be 450-490 ish, I'm thinking it's because of the damn lead free solder they use in production today.

Be warned if you're soldering those though, those patches are extremely thin and will rip loose with the slightest touch.

Two thoughts: First, I have had good results getting factory solder to flow by melting a little fresh rosin-core solder over the top of it. If you have leaded rosin-core solder, even better. Second, it sounds like you overheated the pads pretty severely. If you had your iron on max temp, it was probably way too hot for the size of pad you were soldering on, and any board will let go of its pads if you overheat it. No slight intended--it's a common mistake--but it doesn't necessarily mean that the board is fragile.

EDIT: One more thing. I know you're supposed to always clean off the old solder and put down new solder, but especially on tiny, tiny pads like for this coax, it's just not worth the trouble to me. I put a dab of new solder on, which adds some flux and fresh metal and helps everything flow, and then use that.

Last edited:

HawkMan

It wasn't the pad I was soldering that let go ;)

Also I don't think I mentioned this or actual wrote it wing, but I actually turned down the temp after I ditched the wick and went for just getting off the wire first.

Still now I get a proper screw on antenna. As soon AS BoltRC UK ships my new backboard and antenna...

brettp2004

I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone explain how to load the splash screen and model icons in Companion RX? I don't have my Taranis yet (it's ordered) but I'm trying to get some basic things set up in C9X. Or is there a link with directions? Thanks.

MrClean

Not to beat a dead horse, well okay, specifically to beat a dead horse, soldering isn't as easy as it would appear to be. When you start working small stuff, it gets even worse. There are several very good videos on Youtube showing just how to do it, coarsely, finely and sbm technology. Solderwick is wonderful stuff, but just like running a bit of new solder over old, a bit of new solder on one side of the wick will help suck all the old stuff off leaving you with a tinned path. And ALWAYS use flux. At the temperatures that you're soldering at, oxidation happens immediately. That will make your joint impure just where you don't want it to be. It's all explained in the videos.

Of course, not having to do the nibbly bits and being able to buy instead, that makes it so much easier. You know, that itty bitty antennae is a shielded co-axial. You have to strip out the grounding wires, twirl em together and solder that to the board ground right next to where you solder on the antennae. I did this by faith, I couldn't really see it. You might consider, if your older, buying one of those lighted, stand alone magnifying glasses.

joker777

Ailevon mix on fr sky taranis

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had or could do a tutorial to show how to set up the mixing on a taranis specifically for the FT Versa wing ?
I'm a relative newbie especially on the Taranis so lets just assume i can just about manage to turn it on and thats about it. 😁

Thanks Steve

joker777

Thank you Alex, that helps but boy is he clicking buttons like mad it the first 20 seconds of that video 😱. Think i will need to watch that over a few times to get it straight in my head.
Thanks again.

brettp2004

Also if you have companion 9x on your computer there is a setup wizard where you can select elevons and it will program the mixes for you.

brettp2004

I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone explain how to load the splash screen and model icons in Companion RX? I don't have my Taranis yet (it's ordered) but I'm trying to get some basic things set up in C9X. Or is there a link with directions? Thanks.

I figured out how to get the model icons to show up on C9X. But now I can't figure out how to change the splash screen. I selected the Screen I want in the Settings Menu but it still doesn't show up when simulated. I'm thinking it's path issue, because that was the problem with the model icons. Does anyone have any ideas?

brettp2004

Never mind. Got the answer. Custom splash screens don't show up on C9X in case anyone else has the same question. It's actually part of the firmware.

brettp2004

Ok. I just got my taranis in the mail and I'm trying to get everything updated. Here's my dumb question, where do I get the most current firmware file? I went to Open-TX.org but can't find it. Under downloads it doesn't have any for firmware? Any help is appreciated. Also, my speaker on the taranis doesn't seem to be working. Could this be fixed with the firmware update? If not, no big deal I can put in a new speaker later. Thanks in advance!

brettp2004

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself on here! But i managed to get everything worked out. Between this thread and the RC groups thread all of the information is there, just not in one spot. If anyone is having any of the same problems I did let me know and I'll try to help. Seems to be running smoothly now. Still working on getting the splash screen updated.

MrClean

Open TX University

Open TX GUIDE

That 700+ RCGroups thread.

Scott Pages Youtube channel

I've spent the last year not programming my radio. I need to update and relearn. It's a powerful radio BUT it's also a Unix style radio. Do everything you ask it to IF you know how to ask it. That will be it's downfall. I just forget too dang much stuff and don't always have a pc available to re educate it or me with.

I Love the radio though.

brettp2004

Me too. I'm really enjoying messing with this thing. I've definitely got spoiled with companion 9x. I don't want to make any changes on the radio because it's so much easier in companion! I need to check out openTX university. I haven't tapped that resource yet.

brettp2004

I've been looking for a while now and can't find out how to change the opening sound "welcome to taranis." I found Kurts instructions on how to make one, but it doesn't really tell you how to make it play when the taranis is first turned on. Can you point me in the right direction?

MT Alex

I've been looking for a while now and can't find out how to change the opening sound "welcome to taranis." I found Kurts instructions on how to make one, but it doesn't really tell you how to make it play when the taranis is first turned on. Can you point me in the right direction?

Finally, you asked something I know the answer to:D

It is very simple:
Power up your Taranis and plug in the USB
Open sounds, en, system
The opening sound file is named "tada"
Replace this file with any other you have created, just make sure to name it "tada"

Simple as that. Mine plays the quick little Flite Test intro.

brettp2004

I made a WAV file on audacity at 32000mhz. When the taranis plays it, it's really slowed down and slurred. How do I get it to play at normal speed?