Fr Sky Taranis Chat. Questions/Answers/Share

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Okay I updated to 2.0.3 and my FLVSS and GPS just showed up in the mail. Can anyone point me to the best way to set up my FLVSS to alert me when a cell drops below 3.5 and how to configure the GPS to speak my speed when I toggle SH?

Okay, now that I'm home I checked my radio and I forgot that the battery setup I posted last is a little off... So from my radio this is what I use.

battSetup.png

Now the custom functions that you can use should be this...

SPfunction.png

But like I mentioned before the speed function I can not test. You will have to test it yourself. The other two will work for Audio warning for the battery.

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've created a "new file" in Companion2 to create some defaults that I want to import into other models like your battery low settings, safety switches, etc.

But I have problems changing the values in the Logical Switches. If I enter a number like "3,74" it gets rounded down to "3,00".

Is that a bug in my OSX version or perhaps an internationalization issue? (I can't enter 3.74 either though).

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I've created a "new file" in Companion2 to create some defaults that I want to import into other models like your battery low settings, safety switches, etc.

But I have problems changing the values in the Logical Switches. If I enter a number like "3,74" it gets rounded down to "3,00".

Is that a bug in my OSX version or perhaps an internationalization issue? (I can't enter 3.74 either though).

hmm, I do not have that issue. Have to tried changing the value after you loaded it to the radio? There could be answers in the Open-TX forums. Let us know if you get it worked out too.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Okay, now that I'm home I checked my radio and I forgot that the battery setup I posted last is a little off... So from my radio this is what I use.

View attachment 25644

Now the custom functions that you can use should be this...

View attachment 25645

But like I mentioned before the speed function I can not test. You will have to test it yourself. The other two will work for Audio warning for the battery.

Awesome, thanks so much!

I am having trouble getting my GPS sensor to consistently work. I plug it in and get a middle speed flashing light indicating either no smart port connectivity or no GPS signal. Is there anyway to tell which it is? Taranis speaks 0 knots all the time even if the GPS is not plugged in. When I have everything set up and I'm flying I'll check my speed and only every 3-4 batteries will it tell me anything but 0.

Any thoughts?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The GPS sensor probably takes a few minutes to find its satellites when you first boot it up. When it's new it has to find your "general area" first which I think it remembers the next time it is powered up. So if you fly in the same area it should be find satellites fairly fast then.

@robschonk: Thanks. I did not find an open ticket for that, so I reported it anyway.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I have thought about what I would get after the FLVSS, I think I would get the Voltage Sensor so I can record everything the battery is doing. Nice to know how many amps during a voltage drop and such. Not to mention recording bench testing new motor/prop combos. Then I think I would get a Veriometer so I know how high I'm getting since we're not suppose to be above 400ft around airports. I sometimes fly on military bases with air fields so that's handy for me. The GPS might be following but unless I really get in to FPV I don't think I will really need it flying LOS.

Last edited:

robschonk

The GPS sensor probably takes a few minutes to find its satellites when you first boot it up. When it's new it has to find your "general area" first which I think it remembers the next time it is powered up. So if you fly in the same area it should be find satellites fairly fast then.

@robschonk: Thanks. I did not find an open ticket for that, so I reported it anyway.

They were talking about the issue on RCG. Scott or one of the developers said they were aware of the issue, and it would be fixed in 2.0.3, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have it reported again.

I've got the older version of the GPS that works thru the hub, and it works fine. I've been reading about some issues with the new GPS features. I don't believe it outputs speed, and the telemetry only displays metric, or some such thing. Since I already have one, I didn't pay much attention.

If you're flying FPV, there are ways to port MAVLINK data to the receiver. Seems silly to carry two GPSs, one for the APM and one for the Taranis.

Keep in mind that the telemetry is used for two purposes, to keep a log and to activate alarms and voice announcements You wouldn't normally look at the radio while flying to check your location. One nice feature is that it locks in the last received position, so if you lose your model, take the last position and input it into Google maps to see where you lost contact. As you get closer, it should re acquire and give you an exact position.

Being a geek, I bought all the sensors. Never looked at the accelerometer data, but if you're a 3d guy, it might come in handy. I have temp on my ESC.

laury415

At one point when I was thinking about Taranis I noticed someone posted a link or .bmp artwork for Flite Test planes that can be uploaded. Now that I have a Taranis I can't find the link or artwork. Anyone know where it is?

laury415

Thanks Kurt, I don't think I'd be able to fly my Flite Test planes correctly if I didn't have the correct icon to represent the plane.

Eventually I'll have to play with the opening splash screen, and different voice/sound tracks.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just got my Taranis... I LOVE this thing! Why would you buy anything else? Seriously?!

Question: I have an XJT external module that I have been using in my 9XR. Is the internal Taranis module basically the same thing as the external XJT? Is my XJT module redundant to me?

robschonk

Redundant, unless yor want to run 2 receivers and 32 channels. Seriously, there are guys running giant bombers that need cowl flaps and battleships that have to control 3 gun mounts.

MT Alex

I ordered a D4R II for my mini quad earlier today from Skyward Hobbies. I paid at 2:06 pm, and got an email notice at 3:21 pm that it had been shipped. On a Sunday. Obviously it's just gotten a priority mail sticker printed out and deposited, but dang, that's pretty nice. I order also order from Aloft and have had wonderful service there, as well. Skyward is nice because they aren't as well known so you can find things in stock, whereas Wayne's goes super quick. They are usually a couple bucks more in their costs, however, but it has proven to be well worth it.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey guys I have a question. I have a timer set to start after I engage throttle and then it calls out each minute. Can I have it call out my cell voltage each minute from throttle engage also? I have the FLVS set up right now to call out when I use SH and also when a cell drops below 3.4 it will tell me battery critical and then every 3 seconds announce my voltage. This works fine but I like the idea of mid flight updates without haven't to flip SH.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Hey guys I have a question. I have a timer set to start after I engage throttle and then it calls out each minute. Can I have it call out my cell voltage each minute from throttle engage also? I have the FLVS set up right now to call out when I use SH and also when a cell drops below 3.4 it will tell me battery critical and then every 3 seconds announce my voltage. This works fine but I like the idea of mid flight updates without haven't to flip SH.

Yes can do that. If you want help with it I can try it tomorrow.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That would be great, Kurt. I can get it to repeat every minute but I can't figure out how to make the minutes start once I activate my throttle.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Just got my Taranis... I LOVE this thing! Why would you buy anything else? Seriously?!

Question: I have an XJT external module that I have been using in my 9XR. Is the internal Taranis module basically the same thing as the external XJT? Is my XJT module redundant to me?

Now believe it or not but, there are better radios out there... I would just give Taranis the best bang for the buck award.

NO, you don't need the XJT on the Taranis.