From parrot mini drone to 250 FPV racing quad, need guidance.

anammox

I received a parrot aircargo mini drone as a random gift and I have become obsessed with quads.

With an end goal of building and mastering a 250 FPV racer, I'm looking for advice on what steps I should progress through to economically and practically reach that goal.

FYI, the parrot mini is flown using a mobile app and I've been practicing using the mobile version of freeride simulator.

I understand I need to practice LOS flying using a small inexpensive quad before I can progress to (1) FPV, and (2) a 250 racer. With all the options available (I've spent a lot of time looking at the forums here and on reddit), I am still unsure of what equipment and quad I should invest in. I have been leaning towards the blade QX nano but it looks like it's going to be about $400 for the FPV version at first glance, and I don't really know how good the radio and FPV gear is relative to what I will want for a 250 racer in the future.

Can anyone suggest what I should invest in now in order to both learn, gain experience, and become a better pilot, while also making smart choices for equipment I can reuse in the future when I move on to a 250 racer?

I am comfortable spending money on good equipment now if it means I can continue using it when I upgrade to bigger, faster quads, but at the same time I don't have a ton of cash to drop on a beginner setup. I would consider a non FPV set up if it meant keeping the cost under say $250 with the option of adding FPV gear 1-2 months from now for a reasonable price. If that isn't an option and it would be smarter to spend $500 now on a good radio, good fpv gear, and a beginner quad then I may just wait a couple weeks and save up for that instead of breaking it into smaller purchases.

The only relevant material I own at this time is a soldering iron so I pretty much need everything.

I hope my approach sounds logical and the smart way to get into the hobby. I'm open to all your advice and looking forward to truly joining the community! I'm in Wyoming by the way so I don't think I will have any buddies to fly with :(

Edit: on a related side note, my parrot mini doesn't seem to be working well any more. 4/5 take offs result in a quick hover then all motors turn off. Sometimes it will wander off in one direction before crashing to the floor. Then when it does allow me to fly it I can only do one or 2 turns around the room before the motors shut off. I just checked and the firmware has an update so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's the firmware or if little guy just got too beat up already. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the battery or battery life, which is a popular subject that comes up with you google parrot mini drone.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
There are really two schools of thought.

Build light and simple with parts you can replace easily and inexpensively so you can replace them when you crash.

OR

Build tough as nails up front so your copter can take a whack when you crash and hope you don't break anything expensive.

I suggest the first route for newbies and the second for people with experience and cash.

Flitetest's Electrohub is a good, cheap build. Cut 8 booms when you build it using wood dowel from the local hardware store. When you crash and break it, fix it in 10 minutes and go fly again. Look at the Turnigy 9x radio and get lipos in the 1800mAh to 2200mAh 40+ C range and fly it until it's completely gone. This is a $150 machine.

The Alien FPV frames from ImpulseRC are top of the line. They can take a WHACK. I run a Taranis radio and 1300mAh 4S 45-90C lipos. When I fly this with my GoPro Session I have <> $800 in the air and can go 75mph. I may never master it but it sure is a kick. :)

Check out the stickies at the top of the multirotor forum. There is some real gold in those threads. The lessons for a beginner by a beginner were written by FinalGlideAus when he was starting out. He may be the best FPV freestyle pilot in the world today. Definitely worth the read.

anammox

Not sure I want to build a larger quad... I was leaning strongly towards a small quad I can practice with inside until the snow let's up and really questioning how much I should invest in said setup vs saving for bigger and better once I have practice flying something cheap that comes with its own cheap radio etc.

I did read the noon sticky but I feel like that is more applicable after I have some experience with something smaller... maybe I should consider going for something bigger but cheaper and easier to repair.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
If you want something to fly indoors and does OK outdoors look at the FPV Hubsan X4 107D. I have had mine for over a year now and have beat the snot out of this thing. Buy extra props cause you will go thru them. I did finally pick up the Quanam 2 FPV kit from HobbyKing and with some mods have turned out for to work very well all for a reasonable price.

Everything you wanted to know about the Hubsan X4 and where to buy the cheapest parts and the quad itself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842561

Nitro2go

As some one who like your self was "gifted" in to the sport / bug I can tell you do your homework on your electronics and DO NOT skimp on your radio or your FPV gear.... I started with the nano Qx and wanted more range so I grabbed a DX4E since it would "do the job" now I'm already going to need another radio come tax time since I do t have enough channels to do what I want with my current build and the goggles that come with the nano are not bad (and free since it was a gift) but the lack of a fan here in Florida sux. Best advice is find your local race group and as any and all questions u can think of to evreyone.

anammox

Get a used Nano without a camera and practice your LOS indoors.

maybe, but i'm skeptical about buying a used drone that is DOA or beat up already to the point of frustration.

If you want something to fly indoors and does OK outdoors look at the FPV Hubsan X4 107D. I have had mine for over a year now and have beat the snot out of this thing. Buy extra props cause you will go thru them. I did finally pick up the Quanam 2 FPV kit from HobbyKing and with some mods have turned out for to work very well all for a reasonable price.

Everything you wanted to know about the Hubsan X4 and where to buy the cheapest parts and the quad itself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842561

I like the idea of the Hubsan x4 FPV. Looks like $150 range with the LCD radio, or $80 without it. Should I get it with the silly radio with LCD or save that $70 and get a quanam v2 and a really good radio I can use for my future builds?

As some one who like your self was "gifted" in to the sport / bug I can tell you do your homework on your electronics and DO NOT skimp on your radio or your FPV gear.... I started with the nano Qx and wanted more range so I grabbed a DX4E since it would "do the job" now I'm already going to need another radio come tax time since I do t have enough channels to do what I want with my current build and the goggles that come with the nano are not bad (and free since it was a gift) but the lack of a fan here in Florida sux. Best advice is find your local race group and as any and all questions u can think of to evreyone.

Well I don't have a local race group because I'm in the middle of no where. The closest big box store (like Lowes/Home Depot/Best Buy) is 90 miles away.

But you mention exactly what I was worried about - making sure I buy something now that will last me for a while, not just satisfy my immediate needs and then become obsolete once I progress. I am confident in my commitment to the hobby so I know it won't be a mistake to invest now. The question is what is the best way to invest in order to also not blow my budget.

Right now I am leaning towards getting a really good radio, the quanam v2 fpv kit, and the blade qx nano FPV BNF OR the hubsan x4 FPV BNF. That way I can have a small, indoor quad, with FPV, spend a good chunk on the radio, and have a decent but cheap FPV goggle set up that I can use as a backup or ridealong when I upgrade to some nicer goggles in the future.

Between the blade nano and the hubsan, the reviews I've seen say the blade nano has poor flight times when running FPV compared to the hubsan x4...and the hubsan is cheaper... am I missing something or is that an obvious choice? Is the nano more agile/faster?

nano qx fpv bnf $150
OR
hubsan x4 FPV BNF $80

Radio ~$225
taransi x9d
dx6

quanam V2 ~$60

What am i missing?
Video receiver
goggle battery
extra quad batteries
battery chargers??

Whatdyathink?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Pretty sure the Hubsan x4 FPV requires the Hubsan transmitter to fly it. I don't think you can fly it with the Taranis if that is your plan, as least not without some hacked TX module.

For the long term TX it seems best to get at least 8 channels for multi-rotors. You can fly with 4 but you really need 5 to switch flight modes which is probably good enough for race quads. But you will need 2 or three more for a camera ship or other things you might want to do. If budget within reason isn't an issue, I wouldn't bother with the 9x or 9XR Pro and go for the Taranis Plus which is probably the best value TX available and most integrated with current flight controllers.

The main reason to get a DX6 would be to fly Horizon BNF stuff - good for the Nano QX but maybe not necessary for much else you want and you may find 6 channels limiting. You could address that need and fly the nano QX with a used DSMX DX5e which you can later harvest for a DIY Spektrum module in your Taranis.

I like the basic non FPV RTF Hubsan X4 which is < $50 out of the box to fly around. I have the X4 H107C HD camera one which is a little bit more and can add some extra fun though I don' t use that feature much. Get the prop guard and you will break far fewer props. Note: the prop guard is different for the base X4 vs the camera X4.

Last edited:

anammox

Pretty sure the Hubsan x4 FPV requires the Hubsan transmitter to fly it. I don't think you can fly it with the Taranis if that is your plan, as least not without some hacked TX module.

For the long term TX it seems best to get at least 8 channels for multi-rotors. You can fly with 4 but you really need 5 to switch flight modes which is probably good enough for race quads. But you will need 2 or three more for a camera ship or other things you might want to do. If budget within reason isn't an issue, I wouldn't bother with the 9x or 9XR Pro and go for the Taranis Plus which is probably the best value TX available and most integrated with current flight controllers.

The main reason to get a DX6 would be to fly Horizon BNF stuff - good for the Nano QX but maybe not necessary for much else you want and you may find 6 channels limiting. You could address that need and fly the nano QX with a used DSMX DX5e which you can later harvest for a DIY Spektrum module in your Taranis.

I like the basic non FPV RTF Hubsan X4 which is < $50 out of the box to fly around. I have the X4 H107C HD camera one which is a little bit more and can add some extra fun though I don' t use that feature much. Get the prop guard and you will break far fewer props. Note: the prop guard is different for the base X4 vs the camera X4.

Based on what you said, sounds like I could get the quanam v2 goggle kit, the qx nano fpv bnf, and a used dx5e and be good to go for a start. Then later down the road I get new goggles, new radio, and better quad.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Nqx is the way to go don't skimp on the radio but the goggles the v4s once you get used to them are good i have the v3s but they are very similar now the radio first off DO NOT buy a taranis they are amazing but they have a steep learning curve a decent racing radio is the DX6i but the DX6 is much better and is a lot more up to date.Race quads can be intimidating if you've never flown a "proper" quad
Buy a NQX and dial it in learn how to use dual rates and expo then you will be ready I took an extra step and got a race micro called the Estes dart a very fast and touchy quad but its great for training but don't get it now.Mini quads wise get someone to help you for the build as they are some key things do your research, fly the heck out of that Nqx(FPV) and in time you'll be ready for that 250.
But one more thing FPV doesn't come cheap I spent 500 on a basic 250 setup there is cheaper but you have to think for the long run are you going to be free styling or track racing ,or are you going to be "off track" racing(street/parking garage racing).
So sort those things out
Good luck and have fun!
-Airhawk

pressalltheknobs

Based on what you said, sounds like I could get the quanam v2 goggle kit, the qx nano fpv bnf, and a used dx5e and be good to go for a start. Then later down the road I get new goggles, new radio, and better quad.

That could be a plan. Pretty much what I'm doing except I'm also building a mini-quad and various FT planes.

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
quanam goggles could work i guess but you would want something more soon same with all the low budget stuff

pressalltheknobs

Some people prefer the view from the quanam V2s to the fat shark style goggles. It's more the box on the head aspect that is off-putting. Also you can adapt the screen from the quanam V2s to be a base station screen if it turns out you don't like the whole goggle thing. Some people don't get along with it.

Bricks

Master member
I had the Nano QX FPV that is how I found out I could not use the small goggles was to much strain on my eyes. Sold that and bought the Hubsan with the transmitter even thou I had a DX6. The Nano is quicker but parts and batteries are expensive all the parts you need for the Hubsan are much cheaper. The Hubsan comes with 1S 340 MAH and the bigger 500 MAH can be purchased off of E-Bay for $1.95 each if you search and wait I have so much fun with this Hubsan I have 15 batteries for it. Props I buy off of Aliexpress 60 of them for less then $5 delivered not the greatest props but cheap to learn on. When you do upgrade to better transmitter there are folks always looking for the Hubsan transmitter so you can recoup that cost. It is set up a lot like the bigger quads so it will help teach you to do repairs such as soldering in new motors etc, so it will not be as intimidating when moving up to a bigger quad.

I purchased the Eachine FPV 250 racer and it is a walk in the park since flying my Hubsan,

anammox

You got the hubsan 107d fpv? What are you using to fly your 250?

Sounds like getting the hubs an fpv package could be the least expensive way to start and then save up to buy goggles a radio and 250 at once... then again it would be financially easier to spread out that kind of cash drop.

Last edited:

anammox

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up ordering the hubsan h107d with a bunch of extra 500mah batteries and props. Once I'm comfortable with that I'll get back to research on the Taranis plus, fatsharks and a diy 250 kit.

Bricks

Master member
You got the hubsan 107d fpv? What are you using to fly your 250?

Sounds like getting the hubs an fpv package could be the least expensive way to start and then save up to buy goggles a radio and 250 at once... then again it would be financially easier to spread out that kind of cash drop.

I am flying the 250 with my black DX6 I purchased new off of RC Groups for $140. Before buying the DX6 I had looked into the Taranis the learning curve is huge and I decided I would rather fly then try and program a transmitter.