From Spektrum to Graupner

DumbThumbsRC

Okay guys need your input. I am thinking of switching from Spektrum to Graupner. I am not looking to get rid of my dx6I but pass it on to my son or daughter, whoever is interested. I would also use it for my umx planes.

My question is this: By any possibility or way can I use my Graupner as a master and my dx6I as a slave for training.

This may make the difference between the mz18 and dx9.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
There are a couple of issues to consider.
1. The signal connection via a Trainer port or similar
2. Channel ordering for the sticks

On the Trainer port...

The MX18 has a DSC port which appears to be a PPM trainer port which can be configured to be in (Master) or out (Student).

The manual http://www.towerhobbies.com/manuals/gpn/gpnj1005_manual.pdf, is pretty incomprehensible. Search for DSC and also look at pages 50,51 for trainer set up.

Not sure why they call it something else and then don't define what DSC means but....whatever. The MZ18 also supports a wireless trainer feature but you would need another Graupner to use that.

From this video which is less helpful than it might have been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYulEiHRAM

...it appears you can attach an MZ12 as a student to a Taranis with a mono 3.5mm audio cable which indicates that the CPPM out is compatible with that TX. Since the Taranis can Master a Spektrum DX6i also it seems there is a good chance that the Trainer port is compatible between the Graupner and Spektrum. Spektrum requires a mono jack to ensure a good connection. No clear what the DSC port requires but it seems a mono audio jack of some kind works.

So that leaves the channel order...

A DX6i uses TAER and Graupner uses... well I can't tell from a quick reading of the manual. It's very dense and obscure. A case of lots of pictures obscure what a few words would say. I suspect you can map the channels as you want which means you would be able set up your Graupner receiver as TAER to agree with the Spektrum student radio but I can't really confirm that without more study than I'm prepared to do.

So all I can say is it probably works but if you are set on the Graupner with Spektrum you should dig a bit deeper.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Supposedly, Graupner also uses the TAER channel order just as Spektrum does.

I'm not sure what DSC stands for, might be something like "direct signal connector" or something stupid like that, but there are a number of brands that use this definition for the trainer port, because since the introduction of simulators and the possibility to use the DSC port for transmission modules, it's not just for trainer anymore, so calling it a trainer port would be like calling all vodkas Smirnoff.

DumbThumbsRC

Hmmm. I think I may make mind up in February. I will be going to hobbico efest. I think they will have a Graupner table set up or at least someone to answer questions. If anything I could at least try it with one I am sure.

Based on some other readings it looks like can be done.

Graupner USA

The answer is yes you can do it. You will have to specify in the trainer menu which channels you would like to pass on to the student and which switch to use for transferring.

The latest mz-18 manual can be found here.

DumbThumbsRC

The answer is yes you can do it. You will have to specify in the trainer menu which channels you would like to pass on to the student and which switch to use for transferring.

The latest mz-18 manual can be found here.

Thanks Graupner for the response. Seems like you guys are always on here helping.

I have not downloaded the manual but is there any sort of advanced programming that would need done. Changing the channels is not a big deal but I just don't want to get into much programming issues

Last edited:

DumbThumbsRC

What is your reason for upgrading?

I just got the new new DX7 from Spektrum and I love it.

The main reason that I am open to upgrading and possibly changing is because I am wanting more experience with telemetry based system and I don't want to buy another tx in a year or two if I want more channels.

I know Graupner receivers have telemetry built into their rx and a little more cost effective than spektrum based telemetry receivers. However I am not sure if I want to switch all my planes to a new system and receivers.

Truly First World Problems I am talking about here.