FrSky Taranis Model Icons

JDill

Updated this post: now includes all FT model icons as of 1.29.2019

The attached Zip file contains Flitetest model pics converted to the proper format for use as Taranis model icons. Hope these will be of use to those of you use a FrSky Taranis too.

The correct format is explained on this OpenTX University PAGE.
Size: 64 pixels wide by 32 pixels high
Color: grayscale
Color Depth: 4 bits/pixel (16 colors)
File Name: up to 10 characters max. No embedded blanks.
File Type: bit-mapped image (BMP file suffix)

The basic process is also explained on the page linked above. I use the XnView for Windows program to do the conversions. It involves cropping a photo to a 2:1 width to height ratio, enhancing the contrast/Gamma, converting it to Grey scale, resizing it to 64x32, and saving it as a BMP file. You will find that if you don't enhance (darken) the contrast on the images they will be very washed out on your Taranis screen.

Download the ZIP file. Icons included:

Contact Sheet.jpg

Happy flying!!!

Attachments

• FTX-Icons.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RCdiy

RCdiy
Would be nice to have a community resource page for model icons. I've thought about setting one up but would need contributors.

JDill

Would be nice to have a community resource page for model icons. I've thought about setting one up but would need contributors.

I assume you are thinking of an all inclusive resource and not just for FT models? That could be helpful.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh Ohh.. can we haz these for the quadies amongst us? Specifically the Alien the Versa copter and now the Gremlins?

I modded one for my start up screen already.

Fly Angry eyes.png

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I've long wanted to modify the icons on my Spektrum radio but have not yet found a way.:(

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Easy
Step one Buy a taranis x9 series
Step two sell your spektrum gear on ebay

Just kidding:)
Clean jab. No worries.

It seems like the hack shouldn't be hard. With all the user configurable things, that one seems so obvious and benign. Maybe I should explore those files and see what I can see.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks JD. I just came across this thread. Got the zip and unpacked it. Nice work mate

Mode 1

This is really cool. However, as a new user to Taranis, How do I install these? Just drag them to my SD card?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yes, the models you can simply drag into the appropriate folder on the SD card for your Taranis. Any modification to a boot-up screen requires a bit more finesse.