FT-22 Elevon hinge help!!!

Hey all,

So I built my FT-22, and maidened it today. Fun plane, a lot more so than my Apprentice! Biggest issue I had is that apparently my servos were never glued in right, so the wiggling they did caused the plane to be very 'vague' at times. Well, that and getting used to not being able to use full elevator + full ailerons at the same time!

The one issue I had is that one of my elevons has a terrible hinge. The combination of this being my first build, and the kind of 'melting' of the center of the foam away from the edges in the speedbuild kit meant that my attempts on one of my hinges never quite worked out right - the initial attempt to make a glue hinge failed horribly on both sides because I couldn't get things evened out (again, because of how the foam was kind of 'shrunk' in the middle. At least on one side, I was able to get a decent tape hinge going, but the other one I've just struggled with.

Now that the thing is put together, it's even harder! I've tried a few things to get a decent tape hinge, but the tape on top keeps coming up causing some weirdness in flight (can't get it locked down... not sure if part of it's the paper coming off?), and the weirdness of the bevel/end of the aircraft itself makes the tape hinge tough to do, especially in the built position.

At this point, I'm looking at doing one of the following:

1) Make a new elevon from scratch and DTFB, put the proper bevel on it, and try to make a tape hinge, though the fins will still get in the way of wrapping the tape fully around.

2) Just make a new plane, since I've got enough foamboard.

I'm actually kinda leaning towards #2, given the amount I've learned building the first one.

Any other suggestions?

DavesterT

Hey if you have some of the heavy duty tape that flitetest suggest for building get som 3m spray glue then spray the stiky side of the tape then just use it the same as a tape hinge. Two things, one is that you should remove the paper layer where you are going to put the hinge tape and two, once you place the tape down with the glue on it good luck getting it off so take your time.
I hope this helps you. And since you have the foam, either build another ft22 for just incase you destroy the one you have or build another on then move the electronics over once you reck the 22.