FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
A larger motor, like the "Beef" EMAX motor http://www.lazertoyz.com/GT281209_p_364.html which weighs in at 105g may allow you to offset the heavier battery, but of course, would require more investment. Are you looking for longer flight times with the bigger battery? When I fly mine with an 850mAh and the Blue Wonder motor, I can fly 5 minutes and still be above storage charge.

newTOpro

Not necessarily, just looking to use batteries I have. But I am planning to buy some larger motors for my Duster and a future FT-Racer. Maybe I'll just get two and balance this plane out, plus get more speed.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Of course, another option is to make a sort of battery tray for the 2200mAh battery and use velcro straps to secure it, then slide it into the fuselage further back. Maybe use popsicle sticks for it, with velcro taped to the bottom. That way, you can shove it way back and still be able to pull it out.

Flynn

Hey guys, flew the FT-22 yesterday. I was using an 1100 kv motor and 8x4 prop. Flying on a 800mah 3s was a bit underpowered. I had to go full throttle just to fly around. Also, when you setup the elevons, you need to pitch them up like 10 degrees. Then I changed to an 8x6 prop and flying was better. It's no rocket ship, but I liked it. I will definitely fly this first when I go flying as a warmup.

I might try this with a 1300-1400 motor, see how that goes.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ViperTech

Flynn,
Good to hear you got some flight time! +1 on the elevons, the build video mentions this but doesnt give a spec. I run this motor 2826-10 1400kv with a 8x6 prop and can pull verticle.
View attachment 19812

I think you will like it with the 1400 on it!:cool:

Last edited:

Flynn

That sounds good ViperTech! I have swapped the motor to the Suppo 1400kv.

What size ESC are you running on that?

As much as Dan, Xuzme and Jaxx have told me to get a Watt meter I still haven't.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor

As much as Dan, Xuzme and Jaxx have told me to get a Watt meter I still haven't.
SMH You know there's a nice cheap one now, too, right?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...attmeter_Voltage_Analyzer_USA_Warehouse_.html
or super budget extra cheap...so cheap in fact that it's on backorder now because you were too slow to go buy one!
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39148__In_Line_Voltage_and_Amperage_Meter_US_Warehouse_.html

You can always use the patented "heat test" until your wattmeter comes in. If you can touch your motor/esc, after flying for a few minutes, during which time there is no dreaded release of the magic smoke, without whipping your hand away from that burning, sizzling sensation, and you don't smell cooking meat, you are probably ok on amp draw with that setup.
But get a wattmeter anyway. :D

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Flynn,
Good to hear you got some flight time! +1 on the elevons, the build video mentions this but doesnt give a spec. I run this motor 2826-10 1400kv with a 8x6 prop and can pull verticle.
View attachment 19812

I think you will like it with the 1400 on it!:cool:

I love this motor! I have run it on my Spit and Duster with an 8X6 prop, and it's awesome. Be aware though, the 8X6 prop pushes mine close to the current limit (with a 3S). The other thing I've found is that the shafts bend relatively easily (that's why I've been using GWS style props, so that the prop breaks before transferring energy to the motor shaft). Both planes scream (at least by my standard) with this motor/prop combination. I'm running mine on a 30A ESC, but I could probably get away with a 25A. They were around the same price, so I opted for the 30A. I also cut the shaft on mine so the prop adapter sits right up against the bell of the motor. The shaft doesn't bend as easily this way. I have also purchase some replacement shafts from RCTimer.com. You can't beat the value, especially for under $10.

Flynn,
When you get that wattmeter, you will wonder how you ever functioned without it. I use mine a lot. I have found that my charger doesn't always do a very good job balancing my batteries. I use my wattmeter to balance all my batteries after I charge them. I could be crazy, but they seem to be performing better since I started using it to balance them. The charger also seems to put out inaccurate voltage readings at times. I now depend on the wattmeter to check that as well.

I recommend the HobbyKing HK-010 that Xume720 posted above. I love it so much, I'm actually thinking about getting a second one (sometimes balancing can take a while). It's an invaluable tool.

Last edited:

ViperTech

I am running a 30 amp HK on it, the blue series.

Flynn

You can always use the patented "heat test" until your wattmeter comes in. If you can touch your motor/esc, after flying for a few minutes, during which time there is no dreaded release of the magic smoke, without whipping your hand away from that burning, sizzling sensation, and you don't smell cooking meat, you are probably ok on amp draw with that setup.
But get a wattmeter anyway. :D

I did use the patented "smell test" last year on my baby blender when I tried to put too large of a prop on it. lol.

When you get that wattmeter, you will wonder how you ever functioned without it. I use mine a lot. I have found that my charger doesn't always do a very good job balancing my batteries. I use my wattmeter to balance all my batteries after I charge them. I could be crazy, but they seem to be performing better since I started using it to balance them. The charger also seems to put out inaccurate voltage readings at times. I now depend on the wattmeter to check that as well.

I recommend the HobbyKing HK-010 that Xume720 posted above. I love it so much, I'm actually thinking about getting a second one (sometimes balancing can take a while). It's an invaluable tool.

Seriously tho. You guys have been a big help with many issues. I've placed the order for the wattmeter.

Thanks again!!!!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I did use the patented "smell test" last year on my baby blender when I tried to put too large of a prop on it. lol.

Seriously tho. You guys have been a big help with many issues. I've placed the order for the wattmeter.

Thanks again!!!!
The smell test is more bit more subtle but also acceptable!
You know we do what we can to help out. It's all part of being a carebear! lol

Flynn

While driving home from work yesterday (yes I know it was Sunday) I thought about making an FT-22 at 75% size. So the work plotter was . . well, plotting, early this morning.

I had to modify the prop slot so it could fit a 7" prop. I didn't have any 6" props around. But other than that is the same dimensions just smaller. I think I'm going to throw on the Park 370 I have, just to see how it goes. I took some pics next to the full size for comparison.

This summer should be a fun one!

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Flynn,

Sorry, but I'll be stealing that blue & yellow paint combo for my F-22. Hope you don't mind. :)

Aquanot

Hi there,

finally i have tested mine and it was flying realy well but not overpowerd. Better said with a little to less power. Love vertikals with rolling on max aileron! then cut the throttel and get it into a vertikal spiral stall :)

Yesterday evening i put a larger motor in and used 2 8x4.5 props an an dualsky 2834ca-7 motor.
this pulls 20A and seems ok with more power for vertikal flying :-D

i also added some tooth to the nose to let the wrinkling after a cartwheel disapear.

see the pics ;-)

IMG_20140311_222125.jpg

IMG_20140311_222129.jpg

IMG_20140311_222136.jpg

IMG_20140311_222144.jpg

IMG_20140311_222149.jpg

IMG_20140311_222210.jpg

thks for the nice comments to my design :)

greetings from Europ/Austria/Vienna,
Aquanot

Flynn

Flynn,

Sorry, but I'll be stealing that blue & yellow paint combo for my F-22. Hope you don't mind. :)

No problem buddy! I stole it myself from Aggie on page 15!

Great looking plane Aqua!

Last edited:

dccatl

Been flying (and crashing) my FT-22 for a couple of weeks now and it seems a bit under-powered. I have to fly @ full throttle just to penetrate a light breeze. I'm using a Hextronic 24g 1300kv and a 9x4.7 slow fly prop with a 3S 1000 mAh lipo. Any suggestions for a bit more power? I'm not necessarily looking to go vertical but I'd like to have a little throttle headroom to fly into the wind. I'm open to changing the prop, motor or both. I'm not sure how to go about shopping for a new power plant for this bird yet, not sure what kV I need nor how to match a prop to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

rickthebrewer

Here's my 78% build (width of 1 sheet foamboard) with an Emax 2800 kv motor, 1000mah 2cell and 6x4 prop. I haven't flown this one yet, but I flew the snot of the the first FT F22 with the same setup. I might try it with a 7 inch prop just to see what happens.

20140322_192301.jpg