FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

dwardio

This is a great plane. Thanks for the build video and plans.
Where can we put in the FPV equipment on this FT-22 Raptor (facing front)? Some suggestions will be much appreciated.

Having just watched the new Viggen video, depending on the size of the camera you might get away tucking in into one of the fake/scale jet inlets. Don't know about the rest of the electronics, but maybe...

lankyjames

So first flight didn't go so well, vertical high five into the ground left it looking a bit sad but like the viggen the nose took all the damage and snapped off cleanly;

New nose cut out quickly;

And fixed! Testament to flite test the durability!

ReDeYe

Man that nose look like she got DEEEP in the mud LOL. Great fix on the nose

So first flight didn't go so well, vertical high five into the ground left it looking a bit sad but like the viggen the nose took all the damage and snapped off cleanly;

New nose cut out quickly;

lankyjames

Its at this point I'd like to point out I wasn't flying lol :)

Bit too windy last Sunday and probably ahead of our abilities but the bloody wonder maiden went off without a hitch :)

Bolvon72

Mentor
Well, I've never used Elmers foam before. I thought the FT22 would look good with the black core foam and I wanted to see just how this heavy foam flies. It added 100g to the airframe but feels much more durable. Without a battery my others are right at 300. This one came in with similar motor at 400g. I'll take it up tomorrow with a Turnigy 2822/14 spinning an 8x3.8 on a 3S. It should be fun if not interesting. If it goes well I may try this motor combination on the Spitfire.

0219142111.jpg

Last edited:

AggieGTO7

This is my 3rd foam board plane to build. Started with the FT Versa, then FT Racer and now the F22. I did my paint based off of the Blue Angels, which are actually F18s, but I'm ok with that.
Here is before paint.
image-2.jpeg

During
image-3.jpeg

Final product
image.jpeg

image-4.jpeg

I did the minwax method and valspar spray paint. I love the look!

Blackbeltrrf

Well, I've never used Elmers foam before. I thought the FT22 would look good with the black core foam and I wanted to see just how this heavy foam flies. It added 100g to the airframe but feels much more durable. Without a battery my others are right at 300. This one came in with similar motor at 400g. I'll take it up tomorrow with a Turnigy 2822/14 spinning an 8x3.8 on a 3S. It should be fun if not interesting. If it goes well I may try this motor combination on the Spitfire.

View attachment 18785
That is a nice looking plane

dwardio

This is my 3rd foam board plane to build. Started with the FT Versa, then FT Racer and now the F22. I did my paint based off of the Blue Angels, which are actually F18s, but I'm ok with that.

...deletia...

I did the minwax method and valspar spray paint. I love the look!

Great looking aircraft! Two questions for you--

1) What type of motor mount did you use?

2) Does the ventral side (bottom) have a contrasting color scheme? With my aging eyes, I'd lose this against a blue sky in a moment... :p

AggieGTO7

Thanks for all the kind words. For the motor mount I made my own using flat aluminum stock. I think its about 3/4" wide. I cut, bent and drilled to make it fit my motor.

The bottom of the plane is solid blue. I figured the yellow stripe down the middle on the top would be good enough for me. So far, so good.

ViperTech

Flynn, WOW I love it! LOVE IT! I am still smiling about it. Even with having to repair it! I was flying on low rates 60/30 D/R Expo. and I could control it like it was on rails. I love my Old Fogey because it helped me to keep trying to fly, but this thing just boosted my confidence to the sky! I flew it around 1/2 throtle and it was nice and stable then I pushed it a little more each time and I was looping and rolling pulling verticle WOW! I am only running a 1450 kv with 8x6 slow prop and it would cover the school soccer field end to end in like 3 seconds! I used 1500mah 3s battery and 2200 3s mah batterys. Easy to get the CG right with either one! If your think about it I recommend it!

Blackbeltrrf

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Viper
If you can just "buff" it out please let us know how much time it took on the buffer and let us know where we can get one.
Way to go bud.

ViperTech

Ok not a buff out but surgery is complete IT'S ALIVE!

Well I went to work on the 22 and was able to get it in flying condition!
First removed the offending appendage!
View attachment 18962 View attachment 18961

Then match cut a new wing
View attachment 18963

I attached to the bottom with reinforced tape, note the position of the reinforcement tape, it wont pull apart in the direction it is laid out!
View attachment 18964

The I glued the joint from the top and added more reinforcement tape.
View attachment 18965

Added my colored packing tape
View attachment 18966 View attachment 18967

Repaired the nose and added some foam blocks and retaped.
View attachment 18971 View attachment 18969 View attachment 18970 View attachment 18968

Ready for the air!:applause:

Flynn

Flynn, WOW I love it! LOVE IT! I am still smiling about it. Even with having to repair it! I was flying on low rates 60/30 D/R Expo. and I could control it like it was on rails. I love my Old Fogey because it helped me to keep trying to fly, but this thing just boosted my confidence to the sky! I flew it around 1/2 throtle and it was nice and stable then I pushed it a little more each time and I was looping and rolling pulling verticle WOW! I am only running a 1450 kv with 8x6 slow prop and it would cover the school soccer field end to end in like 3 seconds! I used 1500mah 3s battery and 2200 3s mah batterys. Easy to get the CG right with either one! If your think about it I recommend it!

Look at you man! Back and ready to go!

That's great to hear! I've built one, just waiting on the weather. I know you are having roughly the same winter I am. I'm glad you got out to fly!