FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

kristopherkane

No, I was just trying to see if I could save some cost by using the same transmitter. Since my post, I decided to get the Phoenix Sim that ships with a DX5e.

I've got most of the laser cut glued together and need a few more electronics to finish.

Mytrious1

FlyDad
Ok thank you and that sounds good. And this would be my second plane. So if I got good with the set up you suggested then could I switch the motor to the beefy one if I wanted more power or would I have to get a new speed control and it prop? And I was looking into the dx6i and spektrum products. Are they good?

The DX6i is now the DX6. Its a very good transmitter.

Raylon

The DX6i is now the DX6. Its a very good transmitter.

Well it didn't just become the DX6, they are different products. Also the DX6 isn't coming out till May and is $100 more, so they are very different. DX6i is still a great product and will last most people years. It has all the basic functions anyone could ask for.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ugh, my Giant FT-22 started climbing like a home sick gopher yesterday, and I found out that My ESC was dying. I shouldn't have pushed it... It still looked cool with that long smoke plume trailing it into the ground.:black_eyed:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
And no footage?!?!? Only thing worse than seeing a cool plane crash is only hearing about it!

so anything salvageable?

FishingMEDIC

My speed build was delivered by the almighty mailman today! Still waiting on my motors from lazertoyz. No biggie tho, tomorrow is way too busy to start building.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey! Happy unboxing day FishingMedic -- always like it when the postal folks show up with more than just paper!

any plans to decorate it yet?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ugh, I am tired. No the airframe is almost fine, other than a burn mark in the rear Fuselage! The plane is miraculously ok, thanks to a separate BEC and 12" of snow, the nose popped apart and un taped itself, and the Elevons are toast. I was inverted low to the ground (trim problem, it was only in trim inverted.) when it caught fire, lost power, and started a lawn dart. I was able to sort of roll out, but I lost too much altitude and it buried itself. The funny thing was, finding a pure white plane buried in high grass an snow is...Challenging.:p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
LOL! a little paint can go a long way ;)

Good to hear she survived so well -- pop-apart is so much better than break-apart.

Mind if I ask what ESC you were using?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
4 year old turnigy plush 40. A couple months ago it piled in between a 2650 4cell and a motor. That destroyed the BEC. I did some soldering, fixed it, and added an aux BEC.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks.

At least sounds like a you got your money's worth out of that ESC. Not sure they live up to their "bulletproof" claim, but that's pretty close.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Off topic, but had to share.

From my mentor back in the day:
"You don't measure the life of a plane in years, but rather how many successful rebuilds before it becomes a static display."
And
"Components don't last forever, that's hogwash. The good ones will proudly admit how many planes their equipment has survived. "

Both quotes are burned into the side of my old field box. I'm actually thinking of makind a "dead parts" display box of sorts and putting both quotes on it.

Lastly, "When building is as much fun as flying, it's no longer a hobby. It's part of ya"
That one might not be a direct quote as I didn't jot it down till after he passed.

Save the memories, it's the most valuable part.
Frank

ViperTech

I got a chance to fly my FT 22 today, SO sorry no video I was by myself. First time flying an elevon plane and it was very easy!
I used a 1500 MAH battery and first flight was 4 minutes and I lost orientation too low to the ground, dirt nap! Picked it up checked everything, good to go tossed it up again flew for a solid 8 minutes and I got too low again, lawn dart! Needs some repairs may need a new nose but all in all good maiden flight.

dwardio

Prop suggestions?

Finally got started on my FT-22 build today. This is my first FT build (although I've built foamies and wings in the past), and the speed build kit is really well done! Had it 80% complete in <2hrs and only burned my hand once.

I'm still puzzling a bit over the choice of prop-- I plan to install an NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w along with a HK Blue 30A ESC I have handy, but I'm not sure about an appropriate prop-- is the 8x6 Slow Fly still a reasonable choice? Oh, yeah-- will probably go with 3s-1300 lipos initially.

Thanks for the help!

ViperTech

Prop suggestions?

Finally got started on my FT-22 build today. This is my first FT build (although I've built foamies and wings in the past), and the speed build kit is really well done! Had it 80% complete in <2hrs and only burned my hand once.

I'm still puzzling a bit over the choice of prop-- I plan to install an NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w along with a HK Blue 30A ESC I have handy, but I'm not sure about an appropriate prop-- is the 8x6 Slow Fly still a reasonable choice? Oh, yeah-- will probably go with 3s-1300 lipos initially.

Thanks for the help!

The 8x6 slow should be fine or even an 8x4, the 8x6 will pull more amps and will most likly be faster and be able to pull verticle. the 8x4 will pull less amps and give a longer flight time on that battery.
I run a 1500 mah 3s with a 1400kv motor and a 8x4 prop. I am still kind of green at flight so I don't mind a little slower flight. That set up on my FT22 works great!
I think you will be fine!

Blackbeltrrf

I just finished my Raptor. This is my 4th of July Plane.
photo 1.JPG photo 1a.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 2a.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 3a.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

dwardio

The 8x6 slow should be fine or even an 8x4, the 8x6 will pull more amps and will most likly be faster and be able to pull verticle. the 8x4 will pull less amps and give a longer flight time on that battery.
I run a 1500 mah 3s with a 1400kv motor and a 8x4 prop. I am still kind of green at flight so I don't mind a little slower flight. That set up on my FT22 works great!
I think you will be fine!

Thanks for the advice, @ViperTech

This is a great plane. Thanks for the build video and plans.
Where can we put in the FPV equipment on this FT-22 Raptor (facing front)? Some suggestions will be much appreciated.

dwardio

Power Calculations for the FT-22

I ran a number of power system calculations today using the motorcalc website. Here's a link to the results based on a generic 3s 1300 mAh 20C battery, 30A esc, NTM 1200kv motor, and an 8x4 slow-fly prop:
http://tinyurl.com/motorcalc-FT-22
You'll need to click once to accept the legal disclaimer, then on the "Calculate" button halfway down the right side.

2:1 thrust-weight ratio should do the trick. :cool:

It's easy to change the parameters with motocalc, but be sure to keep updating the full-up model weight...