FT 3d power question

sierra_bravo

Hi everyone.
I want to build the FT 3d to get in to 3d flight but i want to know if my current power pod setup will have enough power. I know it will lift the plane off the ground since Ive used it with the FT spitfire but im not sure if it has enough power to preform 3D stunts.

Here are the parts.

Turnigy 2826-10 1400kv motor

7x5 prop

3cell 25c 2200mAh turnigy battery

It doesn't have a lot of power but if has enough to preform basic 3D maneuvers then that is okay with me.

Thanks.
-sam:cool:

Last edited:

sierra_bravo

I pick up the servos, prop,and control horns from value hobby yesterday and hopefully they will arrive this week. Does anyone how many sheets of 20"x30" foam board the FT 3d uses so I know how many to pick up next time I go to Dollar tree.

thanks

mesolost

I think it's 3 sheets but for $1 why not stock up for future repairs and builds?

EDIT: Might be 4 now that I look at my FT3D (kit)

sierra_bravo

I downloaded the plans and found the dimensions in inches using gimp. The first sheet is 33"x24" and the second is 31"x14" so I think that it uses 3 sheets but Ill get 4 for when I crash. Does anyone have any building tips for the ft 3D.

Thanks
-sam :cool:

Last edited:

mesolost

Take your time and for when you put both wings together through the fuselage use gorilla glue instead of hot glue for the spar. Hot glue cools too fast and when you force it that last bit it'll let go and won't truly be bonded to anything. Might get away with the hot glue if you preheat the spar and use the hottest glue gun you have. I added extra surface area to the tail surfaces and it balances great so I think it's gonna come out really nose heavy by default but if you can mount the battery further back you'll be ok. ^_^

sierra_bravo

I was thinking of adding some color to the plane since it is all white foam board and I always loose orientation with all white foam board planes. I am thinking of doing a blue on top red on bottom color scheme. Does any one know any ways how to add color with out adding a lot of weight with no paint.

Thanks

mesolost

Colored packing tape or do like i'm waiting to do this payday. Put red lights in one wing, green in the other and blue on bottom of tail and white on top of tail (elevator) ^_^ I intend on learning in the real world the 3d stuff I can do on the simulator. =p Night fly!

Else you could use colored packing tape or a sharpie even. =p I've heard of using spay paint but I haven't looked heavily into it myself yet. Waiting to dig out the airbrush myself. =p All the guys I fly foamie with have used regular colored packing tape just put on with a slight overlap. I do my wings in clear tape but i go edge to edge with the tape, no overlap.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-SMD-300L...63671836&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Best I can find since the other one ended.

Last edited:

sierra_bravo

I think I'll do colored packing tape. If I can find the darn stuff in a store. Sadly I wont be able to print the plans or even buy foam board Tuesday or Wednesday since I have to go up to Washington DC which is 400 miles away from my house. But after that i'll print the plans at UPS, but some Adams foam board, all the servos and prop will probably arrive, and then i'll get to work build the plane. I wonder where I'm going to put it since I already have 5 other planes and I'm running out of space in the room I keep them:confused:.

Thanks for all the help with my questions.

mesolost

i hang mine off the ceiling fan and in the closet, storch wings are on the fan blades =p Have an FT3D sideways in a towel rack. Whats left of my mini scout under the hobby desk. =p You'll find a spot. XD

sierra_bravo

Well Im back from Washington DC and Ill get buying the foam board and building the plane tomorrow. The parts are scheduled to come tomorrow and hopefully I be able to print the plans and cut them out. I post pictures of the plane when I done building it.

sierra_bravo

ok so I finally finished the FT3D and it turned out pretty good. I was able to find some fluorescent green packing tape and I did a few stripes on the wings. I had to find a way to make a new landing gear that I could use one several planes so I went with flying penguin rc's swappable landing gear . I haven't maddened the plane yet but Wednesday is looking nice and hopefully I'll be able to make it out to my field.

2015-06-08 17.58.07.jpg