FT Duster - BUILD

DDSFlyer

Here's my Duster. I used the speed build kit and some parts I had in the parts bin. I have the typical HXT900s , an orange 6 channel receiver WITH an orange flight stabilizer, a Suppo 2212/13 motor with a master airscrew 9x6 and a 20 amp esc. The foam board was coated with poly after assembly and then I used colored packing tape. This combination has made it even more durable, even when landing in snow and getting wet, I see no degradation of the foam board. Nice and strong and water resistant.

She flies like a dream and then when I flip the flight stabilizer on.....oh she's like butter. Love this plane and hope to build more FT planes soon.

View attachment 18932

Nice Duster! How'd the colored packing tape stick after the poly? And that's a real good color match. I just picked up 3 cans of spray paint at Home Depot (orange, black, light blue) and minwaxed my 5 foam boards yesterday. Hopefully I'll start making it tonight or tomorrow.

I've got a NTM 28-36 1800kV motor on a power pod waiting to attach to this thing...may be overkill though. might try and switch to a 28-26 1200kV.

newTOpro

Thanks. The packing tape stuck really well, and you can reposition before rubbing it down to adjust placement if needed. That is unless it overlaps then you're done for. There's no pulling it up you just have to start over.

My motor is 1200kv and I do wish it had a bit more speed. This frame can handle it and I find I'm 100% throttle quite often. I might put this motor on a Delta or my Flyer and get something faster for this. But I can't complain, it balances well and flies great. It wants a little nose heavy attitude so keep that in mind.

DDSFlyer

Well the lady at Staples just didn't get printing at the actual size...for some reason she couldn't figure out how big the full plans were supposed to be printed to...then decided to print on 48"x36" paper...this should be a fun FT Duster!
IMG_1981.jpg

DDSFlyer

Yeah...now the only thing I have to do is modify the power pod and the folds and such. Hopefully they aren't too off with the dimension of the foam board. I was gonna reuse a power pod but I may just make a new one with these dimensions...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow! My printer lady always prints too small! (It's also why I've gotten into the habit of bringing a ruler along . . . or borrowing one from the drawing tools aisle :eek: )

You might be able to slip in a spacer on the side and use a standard pod -- the notches will be off (but since you're cutting it yourself, you can always ignore thoe parts of the plan), but the allignment skewers are placed to fit.

Either way looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

DDSFlyer

I got the plans all traced out on my minwaxed DTFB...man is it big. I had to half the spar and wing to fit on a board so I am offsetting the spar to overlap when I glue it together and hopefully the wing will tape together and be as solid as a versa wing when I assemble it. I think I'm just going to build the oversize power pod to the plans and get it all together. I'm curious as to how I'll have to modify all the cuts for the notches and the bends since the scale is off to the thickness of the board. This is gonna be interesting. But overall, if it comes out good who won't like a bigger scale Dusty!

Outlaw56

So I bought a spraypaint can of minwax and that turned into a disaster. Apparently you can't use any thickness at all and the paper comes peeling off. I kind of ruined the entire top of my Dusty. What's my next step after making all the paper peel off the foamboard? Use tape over the foam?

When you say the top half of your Dusty, are you talking about the posterboard or the foam board?

Outlaw56

Has anyone building a scratch Duster ever used dollar tree foam for the top of the aircraft instead of the "poster board" used in the pre cut FT kits or plans? Seems like you could strip the foam off the inside and use foam instead of posterboard. Im wondering what the advantage of the poster board is for these parts instead of foam.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I used it on my Spitfire, and it worked great. Peel the paper off the inside, and go with the grain of the foam. It should bend nicely.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hmm, I just watched Planes, and the T-33 mod on Dusty near the end got me thinking. I'm redrawing the plans to have T-33 wings sans tip tanks. This should be fun!
Oh, I also have a 1600kv surprise waiting for it. :cool:

Timgfoley

We just about finished our build but have a question on the power pod. There are cut outs for the alignment tabs but with the way the power pod mounts, the front most tabs don't ever go near the slots cut in the fuse as they sit too low. The rear ones do fit in but of course on a slight shallow angle.

Seems to work fine like this but thought I'd ask... Don't see why they cut out the front tabs on the fuse if your don't need them lol.

Thanks
Tim

DDSFlyer

Yeah it made it even more apparent on my upscaled version. Most of the retention is gonna be coming from my BBQ skewers front and through the fuselage.

Now I just need to remake my landing gear to bigger scale and paint it and hopefully it will be ready to fly

Outlaw56

We just about finished our build but have a question on the power pod. There are cut outs for the alignment tabs but with the way the power pod mounts, the front most tabs don't ever go near the slots cut in the fuse as they sit too low. The rear ones do fit in but of course on a slight shallow angle.

Seems to work fine like this but thought I'd ask... Don't see why they cut out the front tabs on the fuse if your don't need them lol.

Thanks
Tim

I had the identical problem last night. I logged in this morning to review the Duster Build and see what I did wrong. I confirmed I did it correct, but came to the conclusion the front pod tabs do not insert into the upper fuselage tab slots. The pod could be modified to fit the duster but if I understand correctly, it would not be swappable with the original airplanes designed for the swappable pod. I dont believe the Duster was included in the original swappable series, but later used with the Duster. Thats just a guess on my part. Dont understand why they have the front tab slots on the duster if they are not used. This is all new to me so Im only shooting in the dark. If the pod was modified for the Duster, it would no longer fit the three original swappables. Again, thats an assumption on my part.

KishMot

20140222_202526_2.jpg

This is my Duster build...

Actually giving this away to a buddy of mine so he will get into the hobby.

Thanks so much FliteTest.

ReDeYe

I just watched it last night they had it on demand. I may have to do that as well and put the jolly wrenches paint scheme the wheels are a turning or props lol NavalDusty.png

Hmm, I just watched Planes, and the T-33 mod on Dusty near the end got me thinking. I'm redrawing the plans to have T-33 wings sans tip tanks. This should be fun!
Oh, I also have a 1600kv surprise waiting for it. :cool:

ReDeYe

Looks like there is a slight dihedral in there as well that may add some stability with the thinner wings.

gabe221

Any one made a bigger one?? scale it up some? I found some bigger foam board.

Last edited: