FT Duster - BUILD

gabe221

I pulled all the paper off the inside, added another full length spar.Then glued it all up. Then I pulled the paper off the out side, and taped it. Next I pulled all the paper off the fuselage, inside and out. Taped the out side, then glued it together. Did the tail feathers the same way.

The wingspan is 45", with flaps. Since the span is wider, and the plane is lighter, I hope the E Max 2215-15 motor will still be alright to use in it.

Attachments

• 100_4810.JPG
    100_4810.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • 100_4816.JPG
    100_4816.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 100_4811.JPG
    100_4811.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 100_4812.JPG
    100_4812.JPG
    704.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_4813.JPG
    100_4813.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 100_4851.JPG
    100_4851.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 100_4853.JPG
    100_4853.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 100_4850.JPG
    100_4850.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 100_4849.JPG
    100_4849.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Kronblom

Hi. So I've built the wing and I am having trouble with the fit to the fuselage. It seems that the leading edge of the airfoil is not as flat as the cutouts of the fuselage. Do I need to redo the fuselage or do I just cut out some more space? Does it matter if I extend the hole back or up front? The cutout hole that is.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Just make the holes in the fuselage bigger. I had the same problem with my first Duster and tried to force the wing. I tore both holes in the fuselage right under the leading edge of the wing. The bottom of the fuselage was no longer connected at the leading edge of the wing. I was going to toss it and start over, but decided to repair the holes with hot glue. I glued the wing in, then glued the bottom of the fuse to the underside of the wing. The plane flies really well, even with the extra glue I had to use to hold the wing in place.

gabe221

Dang that thing is sweet! Awesome job! What kind of tape did you use?

I used tape brothers Yellow , and blue tape.

On the wing install, cut the bottom thinnest part where the wing goes through. I install wing, and use BBQ skewers hot glued on top of what you cut. Mine is about 2" long. I have them installed on this plane as well. I taped over them as well. Pull the paper on both sides of wing, fold glue, then tape. It is the same weight as the stock wing with the paper on.

seanudal

My Dusty Flying

Hi,

After a few previous test flights, my DUSTY seems to be flying well now. In the first YouTube clip, my plane bounces 3 times without any damage. Amazing.

Then a full flight with landing.

Sean

Raylon

So I've tried just about all I can think of and my Dusty just won't stop flying like crap. Once it gets in the air it just bounces all over the place and is basically uncontrollable. Is anyone else's like this or is it just mine? I've gone as far as to stick carbon rods through the control surfaces to make them more rigid, tried multiple Rx's, and got the CG dead on. I just don't know what is wrong with it.

Timgfoley

So I've tried just about all I can think of and my Dusty just won't stop flying like crap. Once it gets in the air it just bounces all over the place and is basically uncontrollable. Is anyone else's like this or is it just mine? I've gone as far as to stick carbon rods through the control surfaces to make them more rigid, tried multiple Rx's, and got the CG dead on. I just don't know what is wrong with it.

Mine was very similar and also showed tail heavy symptoms. I ended up moving my 1300mah battery right almost to the very front and ignoring the CG. Flew much better.

However it's still a tiny twitchy thing in the air but that small wing and short fuse will do that to you.

Flying in very little wind with a lot of throttle made it much more fun. It should be interesting at flighttest to see how everyone else's flys in person.

Cheers
Tim

zjguy721

I maidened mine this morning. Light winds, light enough that the Racer that my son flies is pretty much unaffected. My impressions were that it flew tail heavy at first, so I did move the battery forward. Seemed to help. Lots of torque roll on takeoff. Very twitchy in flight (enough that this plane has now been dubbed Twitchy), need to fly with a lot of rudder on turns. For sure not a bank and yank plane. I flew two packs through it, finally at the end seemed to get the hang of how it flies. Hard to get the nose down, though. Had to give it a ton of down elevator to drop altitude. I think its a fun little plane, nice and aerobatic, but not close to as smooth as the Racer is.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member

FT's CGs seem to be a little off of late. I'd go even further forward and try again. I hated the Mustang untill I made it really nose heavy, now it flies great!

zjguy721

This is my Duster that we've dubbed "Twitchy". No landing gear, no canopy, just made a windshield from some scrap Lexan, HPI helmet glued on a cover for the Rx access held on with a little velcro. AUW of 545g on 1300 3S. Next build I'm going to cover the foam with the tape before building the plane. Lesson learned.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

bstanley72

Anyone running a 7 inch prop on theirs? I have a 1100 kv motor and was planning on running 4s, the motor calls for a 7x3 on 4s, now I'm concerned that the smaller prop and wide front won't blow enough air across the control surfaces on this puppy.

Shaka Ponk

motor

Hello Guys,

It is really possible to use the engine 70g and 3s 2200mah lipo? I have one 3825 kv1000 motor from this RTF set. It will not be too heavy?
My Servos, motor, ESC, rx and battery weights 362g.
It can be used?
Thanks.
Sorry for my english.

bstanley72

I think it would be hard. The Duster is very nose heavy. I don't think there would be enough room to shove a 2200 back far enough to get it to balance. Maybe someone else has been able to do it, but I'm not seeing it.