FT EZ ID?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmm. MSP GPS was already enabled......

1711379079073.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmm. Still not working. I think in the name of getting on with the test, I will just switch to the H743-Wing. I can resolve the issue with the F405 later.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Nuts.... not even working with my H743-wing. Not sure what is going on with my FT-EZID board. Works fine as RID, just serial connection does not appear to be working....

I see data from it using a FTDI adapter....

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Can you put it back on the vehicle where it was when it was working?
That's the thing. I had it on the H743-wing as the last known working setup and it hasn't changed since then... Debugging....

Going to step away. I reset everything, put a standard GPS on, and it works with that. Just cannot get it to read the EZID.
1711388888138.png

I can tell it is sending 5 packets a second....

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Took a left fork for testing and Flashed the H743-Wing to INAV 7.0.0 and FT EZID is recognized and works fine as a GPS with update rate of 5hz. This rules out a problems with wiring, baud rate, Serial port, etc....

So for some reason, it is just not being recognized by ArduPilot Plane 4.4.4.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Bingo.... Serial port set to MSP instead of GPS and it started working on the H743. >sigh< Back to testing on the F405.....

EDIT: DING DING DING! Same thing on the F405.... Now going to revert back to the "standard" firmware

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
>sigh< I updated my config notes above since that is what I was going off of for the serial port protocol.....

Reset F405-wing to "standard" firmware and it is still working.

It does repeatedly give an error message of GPS 1: Not healthy .... This will prevent arming.

1711400769684.png

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Testing is going better with the F765-Wing. Actually able to arm and not getting the GPS 1: not healthy errors.

Now just need good weather later this week to fly it. Supposed to rain tomorrow.

1711409772770.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
And it eventually got stuck in a different error scenario, Bad AHRS. Seems like it is fine just after boot, but after the GPS acquires a good number of satellites, odd things happen.

Yeah, I don't think HDoP is being calculated right.

jonbrotherton

And it eventually got stuck in a different error scenario, Bad AHRS. Seems like it is fine just after boot, but after the GPS acquires a good number of satellites, odd things happen.

Yeah, I don't think HDoP is being calculated right.
I wish I had more input. I was able to fly my copter with it set up like you have yours, but it was scary. Lol

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What I am seeing in the GPS/RID log data is very notchy positioning. Not really an issue for a high level view, but it would not be great for position hold. Almost like a rounding error.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Here's an example with data captured by OpenDroneID. Plot on the left is a more typical GPS plot from a different product, plot on the right is from the EZID. It would get it home in an emergency, but would be an unstable hover.
Screenshot_20240326-092204~2.png

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Have everything mapped out and bench tested on the F765-Wing. Ready to drop it in to the Surfer2000 and hit the field when the weather cooperates. Have "Manual" mode enabled as flight mode #1 in case there are issues with the nav features. Not setting up FPV for these tests. Do have Full telemetry back to the radio. Just need to check failsafe config. Done.

Rain and wind today. Would not be totally prohibitive to flying, but not the weather I like to "test" in.

IMG_20240326_141914626_HDR.jpg

1711477236457.png

1711476954838.png

Ready 2 fly. Everything checked...
IMG_20240326_190018033.jpg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well.... It flew great in manual mode...

Stabilized.....That did not go well. Several errors on my part and I will see if the logs tell me anything. Error 1) not checking to see if stabilization modes were moving control surfaces in the correct direction. Error 2) Not flying several errors high when engaging stabilized mode. Really no chance to switch back to manual or recover. It went straight up.... and straight down.. . POP!!! Immediate battery disconnect then signal lost on impact, so unlikely it was a failsafe. The radio would have announced it before the POP!

Need to check the FC, FT EZID, and replace RX antenna then test it. Have some other options for "test" birds....

IMG_20240328_152351286.jpg