FT EZ ID?

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Actually it worked one time with SerialX_protocol set to GPS, then next time I booted up it wouldn't work anymore.

GPS: No Fix
Sats: 0

Then I changed SerialX_protocol and GPS_Type to MSP and it started working again. Now when I reboot it comes up working.

GPS: 3D Fix
Sats: 12
Did you guys not see the video we created explaining which header pin and to use the MSP message? While the video was for BetaFlight, MSP was created by Tridge of ArduPilot and the BetaFlight Devs.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Is it possible that flight controller manufacturers will start integrating RID into their flight controllers? Seems like if you have a FC and a GPS, the only other hardware you would need is a low power transmitter. Maybe it could be sent using the telemetry tx? What are the technical limitations? Different band? Regulatory?

I’m just curious.
It’s possible. The hesitancy comes from regulation, not technical viability. The remote ID rule requires “tamper resistance”. I’m part of the ASTM Remote ID working group who created the remote IM Means of Compliance. I’m pretty sure it’s the only one approved by the FAA. The MoC is essentially the specification for all Standard and broadcast module remote ID. Most flight controller firmware is open source. Intermingling remote ID software with flight controller software is consider inconsistent with the FAA’s “tamper resistant” requirement. We argued with the FAA for weeks to be more specific than, “tamper resistance.“.

That said there are a few flight controllers with protected space which can hold proprietary code and it is separated from the flight controller code. We have discussed this as a possible solution for Standard remote ID which requires the RID system to be able to ground the aircraft if the RID system fails a power-on test.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
The FT EZ ID uses bluetooth. I get about 800 feet with direct line of site. If it falls in the woods/shrubbery or behid a hill, your range should be less.

If you want longer range or better penetration, use of a reciever with telemetry back to your radio would probably be a better option.

LB
Or you could use a flight controller and use the GPS signal from the FT EZ ID. That’s why there’s a UART on the FT EZ ID. It supports BetaFlight and ArduPilot using the MSP protocol (message).

jonbrotherton

Did you guys not see the video we created explaining which header pin and to use the MSP message? While the video was for BetaFlight, MSP was created by Tridge of ArduPilot and the BetaFlight Devs.
Yes but it still isn't working properly. Seems it doesn't update often enough for current Ardupilot. (?) I was able to set it up and fly a copter using the EZID for a GPS and it showed a location but was unable to hover steady at all.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Yes but it still isn't working properly. Seems it doesn't update often enough for current Ardupilot. (?) I was able to set it up and fly a copter using the EZID for a GPS and it showed a location but was unable to hover steady at all.
Jon rotherton, Do you know the required refresh rate for ArduPilot? The refresh rate we are talking about is the refresh of the MSP message from the FT EZ ID to the Flight Controller for others reading this.

I’ve sent this question to Tridge, System Development Lead of ArduPilot. I know the minimum MSP refresh rate for BetaFlight is 10 Hz.

Last edited:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Ardupilot is not very happy with less than 10 Hz.
Ardupilot is not very happy with less than 10 Hz.
Thank you. These questions may sound snarky and that is absolutely not the case. I am responsible for the FT EZ ID development. How do you know this? Have you tested ArduPilot with different MSP rates? Please feel free to reach out to me directly at dave@fltetest.com

jonbrotherton

Jon rotherton, Do you know the required refresh rate for ArduPilot? The refresh rate we are talking about is the refresh of the MSP message from the FT EZ ID to the Flight Controller for others reading this.

I’ve sent this question to Tridge, System Development Lead of ArduPilot. I know the minimum MSP refresh rate for BetaFlight is 10 Hz.
I'm sorry I don't know. But if you've got Tridge involved I bet it will get resolved soon. Thank you for working on this!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@DaveM ,
Yes, I have tested it with the latest version ArduPilot. It did not behave as well as I had hoped. I can set up another test.

Regards,
Karl

jonbrotherton

@DaveM @LitterBug
I am working on providing a PnP kit for the thousands of 3DR Solo copters that are still flying, to use the FT EZID. It plugs into the accessory port on the bottom of the Solo for standalone use.

I also plan to provide a kit for installing it in the GPS Bay, including a script for changing the Ardupilot params, for use as the main GPS. But that is contingent on how well it will work as the only GPS unit on the vehicle. 🤞

Let me know when there is a possible solution and I can test it in a timely manner.

LitterBug

Techno Nut

I would reccommend sending the ArduPilot developers a handful of units to test with. They would be able to give you better recommendations on what if any changes might be needed to the EZID firmware.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Prepping hardware for testing

Matek F405-wing
Matek RP1 ELRS receiver
FT EZID for GPS
Bluetooth module for field connection to Mission Planner
IMG_20240325_084246078_HDR.jpg

The AS3X receiver it will replace
IMG_20240325_084947434.jpg

Updating to latest (4.4.4) ArduPlane
1711374995837.png

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@DaveM @LitterBug
I am working on providing a PnP kit for the thousands of 3DR Solo copters that are still flying, to use the FT EZID. It plugs into the accessory port on the bottom of the Solo for standalone use.

I also plan to provide a kit for installing it in the GPS Bay, including a script for changing the Ardupilot params, for use as the main GPS. But that is contingent on how well it will work as the only GPS unit on the vehicle. 🤞

Let me know when there is a possible solution and I can test it in a timely manner.
What do you plan to use for a compass (mag) ? Copters require a magnetometer for orientation. The forward motion of planes make a compass redundant, but with copters ability to move in any direction and hover, they require the compass.

The old 3DR GPS modules also came with a compass.

jonbrotherton

What do you plan to use for a compass (mag) ? Copters require a magnetometer for orientation. The forward motion of planes make a compass redundant, but with copters ability to move in any direction and hover, they require the compass.

The old 3DR GPS modules also came with a compass.
The 3DR Solo OEM GPS module doesn't have an onboard compass. The Solo has an external compass in the right rear leg, plus an internal compass in the Cube Flight Controller.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Nuts... So I have a limitation with the ArduPilot 4.4.4 firmware for the F405-wing not having MSP sensors baked in to the firmware due to memory limitations. Going to have to switch to a different FC. I have a F765-Wing, and H743-Wing to test with too. I had previous success with the H743-wing in some above messages. I think this was the issue not the refresh rate that was preventing me from using it as a primary GPS on some of my flyers. I had wanted to test it on a Strix Nano Goblin (sub 250 on 2S, >250 on 3S) but it is also running an F405 based FC (OmniBusNanoV6) that does not have MSP_Sensors in the "standard" Ardupilot firmware either.

Screenshot_20240325-104316.png

Last edited:

jonbrotherton

Nuts... So I have a limitation with the ArduPilot 4.4.4 firmware for the F405-wing not having MSP sensors baked in to the firmware due to memory limitations. Going to have to switch to a different FC. I have a F765-Wing, and H743-Wing to test with too. I had previous success with the H743-wing in some above messages.

View attachment 243159
It would be easier to add it back in using the Custom Firmware Builder under the MSP section.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Appears the Matek F765-wing also does not have MSP sensors included in the "standard" firmware. This leaves me with only the H743-wing to test with. So my problem was definitively with the lack of "Standard" MSP-Sensor support, not with the refresh rate. I will continue testing with the H743-wing.

LB