FT Gremlin as My First Quadcopter Build

Huffheinz

Hey everyone. I ordered a gremlin power pack with TJ's frame and the Hyperion camera/VTX. I've built my fair share of fixed wing foamies, but this will be my first quad build. My experience with quads is limited to my inductrix (flying LOS) and real flight flight sim. I have an eachine e010s and goggles on order to learn FPV with. So I'm just getting started on the quadcopter learning curve.

After seeing how small that Femto F3 is, I'm wondering if my soldering skills and equipment are up to snuff. I have a 30-watt iron with a pretty fine tip, a spool of 3/32" 60/40 solder, and helping hands with a nice big magnifying glass. Does that sound about right?

I'll be using my trusty DX6i and I've ordered a couple of 2S 450mAh 80C batteries, a Spektrum DSMX quad receiver with diversity, and a pack of XT-30 connectors. I also have some LED light strips lying around I'd like to add in. Am I going to need anything else?

I've been watching the FT quad copter build videos (hover and 210) and reading up on multi rotors here and on rcgroups. I have yet to see any build/setup videos around the Femto F3. Does anyone know of any?

Any advice/guidance is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Huff,
Nice intro and details. I just received my Gremlin kit yesterday and will be looking to get that put together once the honey-do list isn't so troublesome. I too got Tj frame and camera. This won't be my first multirotor build since I did do the tricopter which is still getting tweaked into what I want it to be. I'll look forward to exchanging observations and ideas as the build goes along.
—Jim

Huffheinz

Right on, Jim. Glad to know I've got a wingman as I tackle this FPV quad learning curve. I look forward to seeing your progress (so I can shamelessly copy it). ;-)

Flite Test released the gremlin build video yesterday!

Even though I have some skills at soldering, I was pretty nervous about the small size of the FC. But after seeing TJ do it successfully, especially using that big old wedge tip on his soldering iron, I'm pretty sure that my skills are up to the task. I did, however, order a new variable temp soldering iron as my current one runs hot.

I was also nervous about setting up the FC, as all of that is completely new to me, but the video gave pretty comprehensive instructions. I'll have to figure out which channels to assign to arming and flight modes on the DX6i since I don't have a 3-position switch, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (I need to read up on multirotor flight modes anyway). I also noticed that the video didn't cover any PID adjustments/settings. I'm assuming that the default setting will be good enough to get in the air with.

My build will vary from the video in a few different ways:
  • I'm going to use XT30 connectors to separate the batteries from the t-plugs I have on all my fixed wing builds/batteries
  • I'd like to add blue LED light strips to the front and red to the back. I can see how to hook it up in the wiring diagram but I'm not sure exactly how to set it up with the signal wire attached to the bottom of the board (subject of a later post)
  • I'm going to leave more wire between the ESCs and the FC to give me more flexibility to swap out to a home-brew frame design in the (not too distant) future

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my gremlin to ship, so I'll be waiting by the door for it to arrive. I'll take lots of pics and use this thread as a build log from a newbie.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah I am in the same boat. When I ordered mine they were in stock.. 4 days in it is on the out of stock list and sitting dormant. :(

I ordered the Josh frame for mine to start but have ideas for my own at some point. I have a message in to support though as if these will be taking too long to fill I need to swap the order for stuff to get my Alien back to pristine condition since I figured my bearings in two motors are going bye bye.

Huffheinz

Yeah I am in the same boat. When I ordered mine they were in stock.. 4 days in it is on the out of stock list and sitting dormant. :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't oversell their stock. I hope that they are just behind due to the flood of gremlin orders and a short staff with Flight Fest West last week. Let me know if you find out anything from the store.

Oh well...I still have plenty of multirotor research to do and...oh yeah...I still have to learn how to fly FPV! My first set of goggles and an eachine E010s (tiny whoop) is still on the way. So, yeah...I'm not really in any hurry for the gremlin to arrive...except that we wants it, precious. Oh yes, we wants it.

we wants it.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
You're more likely going to use my work as examples of what not to do I think. We'll see.

For arming I use the switch farthest from my left index. The longer switch. It's a 3 position so I use it for arming, low, and high rates. Mine's a DX7 but I think several of our switches are the same.

Have you started anything yet? I'll probably get started Saturday. Family man has to tend to other business too. I'll be getting my cheater reader glasses out for sure on these little parts.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No response at all when messaging thru the store contact page yet. I will chalk that up to maybe a glitch in the new matrix with all the changes or the fact that their inbox maybe stuffed full since they are away and they never got the message. I just sent a message to the normal support email this morning so will probably hear back soon.

Huffheinz

No response at all when messaging thru the store contact page yet. I will chalk that up to maybe a glitch in the new matrix with all the changes or the fact that their inbox maybe stuffed full since they are away and they never got the message. I just sent a message to the normal support email this morning so will probably hear back soon.
Thanks for the update, Psy. Just for a timing reference, I placed the order last Friday (4/28) and it is still showing "Awaiting Fulfillment" status. Must...be...patient.

DX6i Switch Setup
All of the switches on the DX6i are 2-position. A quick search revealed that the 3 flight modes are achieved by programming mixing in the Tx for 2 of the switches. I have a tiny bit of experience with RC helis, so I'm thinking 'throttle hold' to arm and 'Elevator D/R' + 'Flap Gyro' for the flight mode mix. However, if there seems to be a conventional setup when I do the heavy research, I will go with the norm. So now I know that it can be done, I'll figure out how it's done later and report back here.
DX6i Switch Layout.png

On a side note, my new adjustable temp soldering iron was waiting on my doorstep when I got home last night. I tried it out on a swappable power pack for the FT Flyer, Nutball, and Delta me and my 10yo daughter are building together. All I had to do was solder some bullet connectors on the motor leads and swap out the JST fitting with a t-plug. It seemed to solder really well in the middle of the 'green zone' indicated on the dial. I noticed the smoke was rolling off the newly melted solder much slower than on my old iron, indicating a lower, but still effective, temperature. I think it's going to work well on the tiny Femto F3 board.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I recently learned there was a vendor mix up and that is what is holding things up. Word is within the next day or two things will start flying out the door.

For my switches I have mine set up like this since I am right handed and fly using pinch method.

I use what on your would be rudder dual rate as my mode switch since its 3 pos on a Taranis. 0 is Horizon mode,1 is nothing (safety zone for accidental switch hits.) and 2 as acro. For my Versacopter I use it as horizon, acro, acro with airmode. What you use for aileron dual rates I use as my arm switch 0 is disarmed, 1 is buffer zone disarmed and 2 is armed.

Your flap / gyro is where I have music programmed to play for each position. Your elevator dual rates I use for lcd lights 0 is off 1 is on and 2 is lost model beeper. Your mix / t hold is my trainer switch so that is set up for current use at the time of the switch with a one second repeat the longer it gets held.

The gear and trainers on yours was for silly saying like when I crash or if a flight is good but are not currently active after the software upgrade.

Last edited:

Huffheinz

I recently learned there was a vendor mix up and that is what is holding things up. Word is within the next day or two things will start flying out the door.

Sweet! I figured it had to be some kid of mixup. I'll plan on finishing up some extra honey-do projects this weekend so the decks are clear next week when my gremlin arrives.

For my switches I have mine set up like this since I am right handed and fly using pinch method.
Yep. I'm right handed and use the pinch method too, but I favor switch controls on the left because I find it easier to remove focus from the throttle/elevator stick. I just pulled that diagram of DX6i off the interwebs and posted it for reference. When flying planes, I bind all my dual rates to the 'Elevator D/R' switch. When flying CP helis I use the same switch for dual rates, I use the 'gyro/flap' switch as idle up, and the 'mix/throttle hold' as an arm/disarm switch.

I use what on your would be rudder dual rate as my mode switch since its 3 pos on a Taranis. 0 is Horizon mode,1 is nothing (safety zone for accidental switch hits.) and 2 as acro. For my Versacopter I use it as horizon, acro, acro with airmode. What you use for aileron dual rates I use as my arm switch 0 is disarmed, 1 is buffer zone disarmed and 2 is armed.

Your flap / gyro is where I have music programmed to play for each position. Your elevator dual rates I use for lcd lights 0 is off 1 is on and 2 is lost model beeper. Your mix / t hold is my trainer switch so that is set up for current use at the time of the switch with a one second repeat the longer it gets held.

The gear and trainers on yours was for silly saying like when I crash or if a flight is good but are not currently active after the software upgrade.

So you only use horizon and acro modes. Just out of curiosity, why don't you use horizon mode? Is yours a typical setup that you see lots of others use, or is it more of a personal preference thing? I'd like to have all three flight modes on my gremlin as I'm sure I'll be teaching a few kids to fly it before too long.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Where you have your Flap/Gyro switch is where I have a 3 pos that I use for throttle cut and 2 flight modes. My choice wasn't due to a discovered convention but rather my own convention. I don't expect to change throttle cut or modes more than once a flight regardless of aircraft so it is the switch most out of the way leaving others that might be used more often available.

If it's a consolation, I have a little black box and have yet to do more than merely open it and drool over the parts.
Photo on 5-3-17 at 4.06 PM #2.jpg

Huffheinz

Where you have your Flap/Gyro switch is where I have a 3 pos that I use for throttle cut and 2 flight modes. My choice wasn't due to a discovered convention but rather my own convention. I don't expect to change throttle cut or modes more than once a flight regardless of aircraft so it is the switch most out of the way leaving others that might be used more often available.
That makes sense. But only two flight modes? Which two?

If it's a consolation, I have a little black box and have yet to do more than merely open it and drool over the parts.
I'd watch the drool. These things aren't waterproof. You might void your warranty. ;-)

I am very happy to report that I just got an email from the FT Store informing me that my order has changed status to "Products Shipped". I guess I'll have a little black box of my own to drool over soon enough.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So you only use horizon and acro modes. Just out of curiosity, why don't you use horizon mode? Is yours a typical setup that you see lots of others use, or is it more of a personal preference thing? I'd like to have all three flight modes on my gremlin as I'm sure I'll be teaching a few kids to fly it before too long.

Yes its a preference thing. Most real pilots don't even bother with any kind of aided mode.

I only fly in acro mode. The only reason I even have any type of self leveling is for emergencies I think I can manage like a video failure when doing free style or when I lose orientation when flying LOS since I have no lights on my Alien. I don't bother with angle mode as there is no chance for recovery when upside down or past the 25 degree angle I think it defaults to? If I am racing and I have a problem I disarm no matter where the quad is. Id rather change props then have an unguided missile going off somewhere.

I have my Versacopter set up so others can fly it easily enough with just a change to throttle max setting and a raised expo level and lowered rates for beginners. Basically that can be used for a very first time user all the way to a seasoned freestyler with the flicking of one or two switches. Thanks for reminding me I need to reload the Versa into the Taranis since I updated software again. Glad I didn't take it out to fly yet hehe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Jim..

I just saw you use a throttle cut for a quad? If so mate ya might want to check the validity of its function. I used to use throttle hold for when my Versacopter was armed but I did not want the props to spin and when it was off they had the stable motor "Idle" when it was not active. This worked great until the first time I put air mode on it. I found out the hard way throttle hold or "Cut" as you put it does NOT effect air mode. it does however disable your throttle so when you realize your props are pulling you down when upside down you panic trying to right the quad and it ignores you while air mode is driving you into the dirt hehe

That's why I have a 3 position switch for arming where two of the positions do nothing and the quad is disarmed. Gives a safety margin for a bumped switch and will disarm in two positions so I don't have a two stage process to shut off the motors with air mode active full time.

If the throttle cut is specifically for fixed wing belay my last and carry on.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm curious why you need more than 2 flight modes. Angle mode really shouldn't be used by anyone, ever. It teaches the worst habits. Horizon is not as bad, you can at least experience what happens if you go full stick and leave it there... Not to criticize anyone's preferences, but if you NEED angle mode, you probably don't need acro. Once you're comfortable with acro you won't ever use the others again.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
@Huff, I just adjust the two modes as one for aggressive flight and one for easy flight. For multi rotors this I guess means stabilized and agility type modes. I guess I'm not a real pilot yet (Bill).

Shipped, excellent. Mine was here within 2 days after the shipping email.

@Psyborg, I'll look into that. As a multicopter noob I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the caution.

I'll work on becoming a real pilot. How's that fixed wing of your coming along?:black_eyed:

@Sean, Thanks. I wasn't sure which modes to shoot for, or avoid.

Last edited:

Huffheinz

Hey Sean. Thanks for the feedback. I probably will fly in acro 99% of the time. However, I'm teaching my 10yo daughter and a couple of my nephews how to fly so I'd like the gremlin to have angle mode so it flies like the inductrix. Kind of like having the bumpers up at the bowling alley, sure it's cheating, but the kids can still have fun. I'm thinking that I start them out in angle then, once they get some more sim and stick time, I can graduate them to horizon mode. That's my theory anyway...and I'm just making this up as I go along so I might change my mind completely.

On my fixed wings, I usually start out my first battery with a couple minutes of easy pattern flying to check out the plane and get a feel for the wind and the space I'm flying in. Then, once everything checks out, I flip up to high rates and fly aerobatics. I thought that I would want to do the same thing on the quad, starting in horizon mode then switching to acro. Maybe there is no need for horizon mode, but if I program it in, then I'll have the option. But if it causes bad habits, maybe I shouldn't program it at all. I'll have to give it some more thought.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Huff, I just adjust the two modes as one for aggressive flight and one for easy flight. For multi rotors this I guess means stabilized and agility type modes. I guess I'm not a real pilot yet (Bill).

Shipped, excellent. Mine was here within 2 days after the shipping email.

@Psyborg, I'll look into that. As a multicopter noob I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the caution.

I'll work on becoming a real pilot. How's that fixed wing of your coming along?:black_eyed:

@Sean, Thanks. I wasn't sure which modes to shoot for, or avoid.

Hey Mr Jim. I hope you don't think I was referring to anyone but myself as not being a "Real" pilot. That was more to mean the guys like RR crew the Atlanta crew, All the racers like MetallDanny.. I know what it sounded like in my head but I guess it reads a tad different huh?

My fixed wing is the same as its always been.. non existent unless I am on a sim. hehe

<<< haz severe confidence issues or a mental block or something.. Same thing like playing my guitars.. I do great right up until I hit the darn record button and every possible sour note will come out and I can't seem to be able to count to four in the same time frame any longer..

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Mr. Bill, I actually didn't think that jab was at anyone inparticular but I redirected it at me for the sake of jest which made way for a poke back. It's the Navy way.
&#8212;Sluggo