Guardian Gremlin build video

Grantwrobinson

Hello,
I just ordered a Guardian Gremlin to build with my daughter for her birthday. I have built five or six foam board planes and always used a build video. I assumed that there would be a build video for the newest Gremlin, but all I found was a four year old video for the first round of gremlins. This is my first build of a quad, so could really use the comprehensive videos I am used to getting from Flite Test. Thanks. I hope they are reading these and can post one.

Michael9865

Elite member
Hello,
I just ordered a Guardian Gremlin to build with my daughter for her birthday. I have built five or six foam board planes and always used a build video. I assumed that there would be a build video for the newest Gremlin, but all I found was a four year old video for the first round of gremlins. This is my first build of a quad, so could really use the comprehensive videos I am used to getting from Flite Test. Thanks. I hope they are reading these and can post one.

@flitetest

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i am in the same boat. can't seem to find anything on this quad. the flight controller and esc stack also has very limited info. doesn't even show up on the manufacturers website. i don't need much but a pin out diagram would be nice. don't think that is asking too much... :rolleyes:

laters,

me :cool:

Grantwrobinson

I watched the old video and figured it would transfer but haven’t examined if it actually will. I haven’t called the store yet either. That is the logical next step.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am also interested in this quad. I have never built or flown a quad before. The Gremlin is setup for the STEM classes. You would think it would be simple to build. Most quad I have seen on line you need to have some skill in soldering. Do you want some of the young people with a soldering iron in the hands. I would be afraid of them getting burnt. Maybe the quad plugs together. It would be great to see a video on the quad and all the pieces for the build. From what I have seen in the store you need a receiver and battery with the Gremlin kit and you have a quad ready to fly. :)

Hey guys, I'm I missing anything ?

Grantwrobinson

It would be nice if it plugged together, but it definitely does not. Soldering is required. I believe that the ESCs are built into one of the boards, so it is just motor leads to the ESC pads (this eliminates soldering four ESCs to a FC). BTW, The store just replied to my review saying a build video is in production and will be released “very soon”. I hope they can also put detailed terminal explanations for the FC and ESC that are made for newbies. I am sure a veteran could look at the FC and ESC and interpret the obscure labels, but a new builder cannot.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i think i got it figured out. will try and get pics of the soldering and setup tomorrow. finally found i think enough info about all the pieces to proceed. camera mount appears to be 3D printed by FT and needs some attention. front lense will not pass through the front hole so i will have to open it up a bit. my biggest issue was i was worried about the motor wiring and making sure motors spun in right direction. if you download the BLHeli Suite then you can change motor directions so it doesn't matter how you wire. i also plugged it into beta flight and it did recognize the board and gyro so you don't have to re-flash the board. you will need to calibrate the gyro but that is easy. i am using a Lemon satellite Rx like the one recommended. you need to solder this and the fpv camera onto the top board very specifically. i will post some pics tomorrow when i am done.

cross fingers.

laters,

The FSD 306 1s stack on the fullspeed website, is the 1s version of the 2s that Flite test bundled with the Guardian. You can use it's pin outs to connect everything together. http://www.fullspeedrc.com/fsd306-1s-6a-teeny-flight-tower_p0095.html to get to Fullspeeds page for this stack, just google search FSD306s, but there are no pin out diagrams for it.

You will have to use 3.3v to supply power to the LemonRx sat RX, and I could not for the life of me get the Rx to enter bind mode. I had to pre bind it to my Tx before hand, using my aura5. Once you are powered on, the Video TJ made on the old Gremlins is still relevant for the Betaflight and BLHeli configurators.

I had to widen the hole for the camera mount, the camera would fit. and the AIO board gets hot, and softens material some, until it cools.

I wish I could find pin out info for the ANT AIO, so I could hook up the Video for the Board OSD, to get voltage and Flight time info.

It seems the day of Manuals, paperwork, or diagram cards being supplied with parts is gone.

Last edited:

Grantwrobinson

I would love to see some pictures of your electronics laid out, if possible, now that you folks have working guardian gremlins. Glad I asked this community for help!

As promised
20220325_175140.jpg
20220325_175145.jpg
20220325_175158.jpg
20220325_175202.jpg
20220325_175210.jpg
20220325_175241.jpg
20220325_175246.jpg
20220325_175259.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-25 175717.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-25 175743.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-25 175805.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-25 175824.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

nice. i just did the tinning of both boards and started on soldering the motors but my hands are way too shaky to solder that small. gonna go take some meds, pour a stiff drink, and i will try again in a few. :LOL:

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have to say once i got going it wasn't that bad. by far the toughest soldering job i've ever done, but if careful and use the right stuff you should be fine. i re-arranged how i was holding the pieces and once my hands chilled out and i was able to get done. definitely not for the feint of heart though. :sneaky:

20220325_172825.jpg

20220325_173810.jpg

thanks for the mention about binding the satellite rx beforehand. definitely need to do that if not you will have to de-solder and re wire, then start all over.

gonna call it for the night. need to get ready to fly tomorrow. going to attempt my 8th flight with my PA XR-61. all 7 prior flights have ended with an emergency landing. hoping #8 is the one we finally get it. the fact the plane is still in one piece gives me hope... :LOL:

20220319_145417.jpg

cross fingers for me. ;)

laters,

Grantwrobinson

I did a mock up last night and found that the standoffs for the ESC board partially block the corner motor pads. Did you have a problem with yours? I also found out that my kit is missing the camera mount. I will have to call about that. I was excited that I got beta flight downloaded and the board connected!

alan0043

Will post some later this evening

Thank you so much for the pictures. Your pictures do show the details that people are looking for. I have a lot to learn if I want to build the new Gremlin. :) Did you tin the wires before you started to solder the wires to the board ?

Thank you again for the great looking pics.

I did a mock up last night and found that the standoffs for the ESC board partially block the corner motor pads. Did you have a problem with yours? I also found out that my kit is missing the camera mount. I will have to call about that. I was excited that I got beta flight downloaded and the board connected!
Yes the stand off does get in the way, but I had my helping hands clips set up and the stand offs were not on, when I attached the wires. I haven't noticed an issue yet.