Guardian Gremlin build video

joel_d_taylor

Got the Beta Flight OSD to work. Wasn't Easy.

Out of the three pins that are holding then AIO together, you need to cut the one closet to the camera, and splice a wire from the camera side to the FC video in, and then form the FC Video out to the VTX side of the pin.

Great Work! I'll probably try that with mine down the road.

joel_d_taylor

Got the Beta Flight OSD to work. Wasn't Easy.

Out of the three pins that are holding then AIO together, you need to cut the one closet to the camera, and splice a wire from the camera side to the FC video in, and then form the FC Video out to the VTX side of the pin.

Hi RajunKajun

Did you cut the pin marked in the photo and then solder to where the end of the pin is exposed on each board?

Joel

IMG_2104.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi there

Thanks for posting the wiring diagram.

Do you know what the two through hole connections in the bottom left corner are for?

Photo attached.

Cheers
Joel Taylor View attachment 223639

not a clue, sorry. if i was you i would power up and then read with a multi-meter. this should tell you if it will do whatever you want it to do. then maybe also look in betaflite and see if you can manipulate it?

good luck and let us know what you find.

my build has hit a big pause button. i am still sorting boxes and piles from my recent "estate rc" sale. found this today, was wondering were the big delta wing went. i had then in a completely diff room full of piles. :LOL:

20220409_145859.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

Hi RajunKajun

Did you cut the pin marked in the photo and then solder to where the end of the pin is exposed on each board?

Joel

View attachment 223714

Sorry I didn't see this saturday. Was flying at the airfield most of the weekend. Yes, that is the pin I cut, and I soldered to the exposed section on the outside of each board. IF you use helping hands or alligator clips. Clip the camera barrel, and not the area of the boards with the button. Aske me how I know.

joel_d_taylor

Hope you had some good flying. I'm in Northern Ontario and we still have a meter or so of snow. I'm flying my tiny hawk inside while I build my gremlin.

Having OSD will be great, and I will watch were I place the helping hand clips. I'll just learn from your wisdom.

Thanks again
Joel

slayerofpeace

just a quick thing i figured out while building a tiny whoop u can get the osd to work without cutting that pin. the vtx is the same one that was on the caddx firefly

caddx-firefly-micro-fpv-camera-w-vtx-6520457920589.jpg

Last edited:

joel_d_taylor

So, the yellow line i added is pointing to the video out from the VTX, and the green line I added is pointing to the video in on the VTX?

Joel

Caddx VTX.jpg

Please let me know if the following is correct:

In order to make the OSD work I need to:

1) wire the pad marked Video in (OSD out) to the video IN pad on my FC
2) wire the pad marked Camera out (OSD in) to the video OUT pad on my FC
3) wire the pad marked VTX (smart audio) in to the TX1 pad on my FC

Cheers
Joel
I am not sure Joel. I just found the diagram, to support slayers post.

joel_d_taylor

Thanks for finding it, It's exactly the information needed to help sort this out.

Anybody know if it would hurt anything to try it that way? If I don't get OSD, then change to #1 to the OUT pad and #2 to the in pad?

Joel

slayerofpeace

correct the yellow wire is to the video in on your fc then the video out goes to the green wire. the xm pad is for smart audio.
hopefully this helps save some cameras.
415112_19f1503ae0157c59fde6f3909e50cfc2.jpg

Last edited:

joel_d_taylor

Tried hooking up the OSD via the above pads. no luck.

I got the OSD to show in the googles, but also large black bands, and the picture moves horizontally and drifts in and out. Not usable for flying. I've gone back to just power connected and will fly without OSD for now.

Joel

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i am back on this project and thought i had everything nailed. plugged into betaflight and started working on motor directions and found out both the front motors are not working. checking them with a multi-meter i see that they do not have continuity like stated in the build video.

check 11:00 min into the video for test...

what would cause this? the solders look good, i am not crossing pads. is it bad motors? what would you recommend?

thanks,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
re-soldered the front motors and no change. took one off and wired into a 10a esc and tested with a servo tester. got nothing. think i got 2 bad motors that i just happened to put both up front.

not sure if my vision has gotten that much worse in the last few weeks (which i doubt), but i do not like this micro soldering stuff. not my cup o' tea.

laters,

re-soldered the front motors and no change. took one off and wired into a 10a esc and tested with a servo tester. got nothing. think i got 2 bad motors that i just happened to put both up front.

not sure if my vision has gotten that much worse in the last few weeks (which i doubt), but i do not like this micro soldering stuff. not my cup o' tea.

laters,

I feel ya on that one, at least your ESC and FC still works, presumably. Mine smoked the other day, when I was replacing the frame, I put it on BETA flight to check everything out (I rotated the FC 180 degrees, so forward would be forward, and not have to rotate the settings 180 degrees) and poof, magic smoke. Now I am waiting for some one to get a comparable FC/ESC in stock so I can replace it, with out having to change the entire stack.