FT Mini Mustang Paper Replacement Kit

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I wanted to avoid having to tile pieces. Hence the 11X17 format.
I suppose I could. I would however advise aginst using them. The wing and fuse would be split in two. If you were off by just a little when gluing them together you would have some issues with your build.

It's not actually that big of a deal. I've printed out lots of paper replacement sets for my own testing on micro, mini, and even full sized planes. It was all on 8.5x11. If you put in some sort of reference marks on the pages and have a sharp razor blade it goes quite well. On my bigger planes it's been 4 sheets just for one wing half.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
It's not actually that big of a deal...If you put in some sort of reference marks on the pages and have a sharp razor blade it goes quite well.

Okely dokely! I'll do it just cause you asked. :)
By the way, I played around with the Zero today during lunch. I think I'm going to have to build one first to get the "lay of the land" so to speak.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
By the way, I played around with the Zero today during lunch. I think I'm going to have to build one first to get the "lay of the land" so to speak.

Sweet thanks, hopefully it's not too much trouble. Probably should have bought a printer capable of 11x17 when I purchased my laser, but it was barely in the budget as is.

If you want, PM me your e-mail and I can send you the latest plan revision with the fixed spars and a couple tiny changes. I can also send you the cad files if that will make your life easier for drawing stuff up.

The overhead projector sheets should be here tomorrow if all the snow doesn't slow down UPS and I may be making some changes to the canopy. Maybe I'll just make two different versions, keeping one as is for posterboard and making another for simulated glass. Thinking about a stencil for the canopy as well, for those who might chose to paint or draw their canopy lines on with something like a sharpie.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot

Thanks.. Yah checked my printer does not do 11x17 :) So 8.5x11 also would be cool.. I have layed decals before :) all my builds i actually tile the plans so nothing new. :)

Rasterize

Mentor
Sometimes I think if I was a single, financially independent, atheist I'd get more RC projects done. :p
Barring that, I need my laptop, a small mm ruler, the built version 2 of my "Old Crow" MM Mustang and a few hours of alone time.
Wish me luck...

ps - Please don't let willsonman rearrange his projects. It could cause a tear in the space/time continuum. Rivets, make more rivets. :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Bwahahah! Well, My current aircraft builds are on hold (the glassed BW, the Gotha, the FW-190) as my Daughter respectfully requested a room re-model for her birthday this month. All the while we are trying to re-finish our basement. We are also participating in a church pinewood derby... oh yes... you can use foam for that. I've got two cars in the works. A Delorean and a car that looks fast but may not be. Sometimes I need little projects like this that will only take me a few evenings to complete.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    569.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I won best in show in pinwood derby as a kid in boyscouts. It was a blast! I made a F1 car. :)

Rasterize

Mentor
Bwahahah! Well, My current aircraft builds are on hold (the glassed BW, the Gotha, the FW-190) as my Daughter respectfully requested a room re-model for her birthday this month. All the while we are trying to re-finish our basement. We are also participating in a church pinewood derby... oh yes... you can use foam for that. I've got two cars in the works. A Delorean and a car that looks fast but may not be. Sometimes I need little projects like this that will only take me a few evenings to complete.

A Foam Delorean Pinewood racer. First off that's cool. Second off I would not set foot in our pinewood Derby without notarized written proof from BSA that foam was acceptable. I don't think the guys in my pack would understand...
Good luck with the re-models! Family first! However that Gotha is running a close second in my book! :rolleyes:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, the Delorean is all wood. I only added foam to the sporty one for the fenders and blended them in with DAP spackle. Glassed the whole thing and now is ready for paint. All foam would be a hoot as you could place the weight more toward the rear for a better fulcrum.

I did get glass cloth for the Gotha so it is in the que. I need more WBPU as I am no on my small reserve can. The Sikorsky ate up half a quart between the glassing and filling.

Rasterize

Mentor
Question:

I can't decide. With or without gun smudges?
The plane looks very detailed and clean otherwise. To me they look sort of out of place. :confused:

FGun Smudges.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I don't know, I really like the smudges, but the rest of the plane looks pristine. I'd be cool to have them with the plane all weathered up, but I ain't gonna ask for that much detail out of a "free service."

Rasterize

Mentor
You guys are pushing me to the "No Smudge" side of the fence. Maybe we will save the smudges for some future version.

As for my "Olive Drab" base color:

If you working in RGB:
R:67
G:61
B:45

If your printing process colors:
C:40
M:40
Y:60
K:70

I'm liking those canopies Fiend!