FT Mini Mustang Paper Replacement Kit

harper

Oh I could do a swappable size. It's never been hard to design "skins" for swappable size planes. I've done multiple versions of Viggens and the Storch.

View attachment 60518
View attachment 60516

Really the hard part is getting them printed. Larger planes mean larger prints and that raises the cost beyond what most are willing to pay. You're probably looking at around at least $8 a linear foot for most folks to print the swappable size. What?$30 to cover a plane? I can build four "Old Crow" type Mustangs for that!

These new mini P51 and Corsair sizes allow printing of the skin pieces on common (read cheap) paper sizes. I think people would pay the $4 to have them printed and get their planes looking cool. I have seen several folks designing other warbirds for this size that I will be doing skins for, localfiend's Mighty Mini Mitsubishi A6M Zero to name one.

Do you have the files for the Viggen?
Thanks.

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
Rasterize,
My son put me up to building something other than a Bloody Mini. I took him up on it and decided to run with a Mini Mustang. Doing some research for the project, I started paging through this thread. This is absolutely amazing.
Someone mentioned Top Gun in the thread... Maybe the boys at FT will add a scale competition to the Flite Fest event list some day. I don't know if it want to try competing with you, but it would be great to see!! LOL
Thank you!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I'd love to see a scale competition! Don't know when I'll ever get back to Ohio for FF to participate however. :( Love the work you are doing with the Bloody Minis btw! Keep it up!

Focstro

Hello! I wanted to ask you if the decals for the mini p-51 were still available ... because I can't download them from your dropbox .. it gives me an error ...:(

Kashif imam

FT Mini Mustang Paper Replacement Kit-Old Crow

I have always enjoyed creating custom printed tissue and paper covering for foamies. Skins as I call them. With work experience in graphic design and printing as well as a love of aviation, I have felt well suited for this. Although not a new concept by any means (there are many such coverings for profile planes) they can be difficult for more 3 dimensional craft. Flite Test aircraft cry out for such ornamentation!
So I have created a kit with which one can replace the paper on the foam a FT speedbuild kit or glue them to “Dollar Store Foam” with the paper peeled off. Either way you will end up with an awesome highly detailed model.
It is advisable that you download the full plans and have them available for viewing before beginning your build. You will need them for reference as score lines are not on the skin kits. This is not a beginner build! You must be comfortable with the flite Test build method. I would also advise you build a mini P51 before attempting this. I learned much from my first build.

**Please read the Hints and Tips under the pics before printing and building!**

The first one out is Clarence E. “Bud” Anderson’s P51 Mustang “Old Crow”. Note - The aircraft depicted below has no electronics installed. The spinner/prop/motor is a dummy for looks only.

View attachment 61356
I used the pic above as well as many other pics to create original art on the FT plans. I open the Flite Test planes in Illustrator and create custom art from scratch. That way 1) the art is created specifically for the FT mini P51 and 2) it's my original work, no copyright issues.
View attachment 61349
I purchased a FT Speed Build Kit and tested every print to make sure they were exactly the same as the FT plan originals.
View attachment 61350
View attachment 61351
View attachment 61352
View attachment 61353
View attachment 61354
Tons of detail make this a plane that looks as good on the ground as it does in the air.
View attachment 61355

There are to page sizes for you to print out. An 11X17 and an 8.5X11.

The 11X17 version has less tiled parts and makes for a quicker build. It’s six pages, over 31 meg and available here. Or cut and paste this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v49wbqtrhbmz2yd/FT MM P51 Old Crow 11X17.pdf?dl=0

The 8.5X11 version can be printed by most home printers. It’s fifteen pages, over 31 meg and available here. Or cut and paste this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x6rnm2rl4yum52/FT MM P51 Old Crow 8.5X11.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if you run into any issues with the files.

Hints and Tips
  • Printing - Please check your Print Dialog box and make sure that under "Page Size & Handling" that the "Actual size" button is checked and NOT the "Fit" button. If "Fit" was chosen it can result in smaller sized prints even when the correct paper size is selected. So far this one tip, if not done, has wasted more time and money than anything else!
  • This is not a beginner build! You must be comfortable with the flite Test build method. I would also advise you build a mini P51 before attempting this. I learned much from my first build.
  • It is advisable that you download the full plans and have them available for viewing before beginning your build. You will need them for reference as score lines are not on the skin kits.
  • The extra turtle deck - It was the one piece I had the most issue with. The extra non-curved one was a last minute fail safe. In case something went wonky with a build, the builder would have this to use as a backup to custom cut.
  • The horizontal stab - Do not cut out the tabs that engage the fuse on the top (green) skin. It is unnecessary and will detract from the look.
  • The Wing - I opted to just remove all the paper and only use the skins. I think after the spar is in it will be more than sufficiently strong. Take extra care in trimming the edges where the wing halves come together.
  • The fuselage - Peel off the paper from just one side of the foam.
  • When a piece has two sides covered with skins:
    1. Rough cut one side from the paper
    2. Take an appropriate sized section of foam and peal the paper from both sides.
    3. Glue it to the foam
    4. Trim the foam to the skin (art)
    5. Trim the other side of the skin from the paper.
    6. Carefully align the second side to the foam
  • The bottom of the fuselage - Take extra care when gluing the two bottom sections into place. Panel lines should line up and the paper on the edges should be flush for a clean look.
  • Sheeting - To keep the color between pieces the same I printed out everything on the same paper - 24lbs bond. For parts that require card stock, I just glue the printed sheet to a black sheet then cut the piece out.
  • Sharpie Touch Ups - Use black, light gray and medium to dark olive Sharpie for touch ups.
  • Weathering Tip - Use a silver fine tip Sharpie to simulate paint chipping.
  • Landing Gear - You have several options in the gear and bay area. As a belly lander, cut and glue part of the gear bay doors so it overlaps the wing and fuselage. For a mustang with gear down, cut and glue in the "open bay" graphic, Again overlap the wing and fuse. Use the remaining gear doors to make yourself some killer looking landing gear! Can't wait for someone to do this!
  • Belly Landings - Protect you P51 doing belly landings so it stays awesome looking longer. Using packing tape on the undersides of the fuselage.

The next big thing will be who posts the first “Old Crow” flight video! :cool: It won’t be me so good luck! Build, fly, and post lots of pics! :D
Downloadable link are not working can you share it again