FT Mustang - Build

Latubi

Just finished building this. I went a little overboard with details >.< Still best flying scratchbuild I've had so far.
1484349_10203834898463981_4383576391609997843_n.jpg 10251944_10203834898903992_1853002927021734464_n.jpg

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nice Job Latubi! Very clean!

Is the tail wheel static or stearable?

Corbarrad

Finally started my build.
It's my first scratch build in years, so this is gonna be one ugly bird.
Made a few mistakes already and put quite a bit of work into repairing them.
Worst comes to worst I'll give the "prototype" to my nephews to play with and star a new one...

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Just finished building this. I went a little overboard with details >.< Still best flying scratchbuild I've had so far.

Nice Job! What did you use for the canopy? All the parts cut out for mine. Just need to start gluing.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I just printed off the FT mustang plans, and is it just me, or are the rear formers missing?
Not a big deal, as I'm making a P-51 C anyway, but for newer builders it could be an issue.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
There is only one former for the rear. I just checked the plans, and all three are there.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
yeah the formers weirded me out too . . . so used to a gap in the turtle decks for the canopy.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well, I got it started: image.jpg

The only mod I've made so far is the addition of flaps to the wing:
image.jpg

I'm suddenly torn on what version to build, I can either build a C or a Mustang v with a Malcolm hood:
image.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Flaps . . . Niiiiice :) I was thinking I'd like those today running touch-and-gos . . . but she's pretty friendly without them.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

When you mount that wing, tie a string or a LONG piece of tape to those leads . . . and make sure it comes out the nose as you seat the fuse on the wing. getting stuff out of that wing after it's in is a PAIN.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I had a bad bout of insomnia last night, so I went to the garage at 1 in the morning.
This is what greeted me when I woke up: image.jpg

Jazz, I don't have a ton of time to build, so. I have a work hard, play hard (and really fast) mentality. :p

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Did a little more work over lunch.
She's going to be underpowered though, my largest working motor is a 2826-800 and it's really lacking in thrust, we'll see though.:)
image.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yep! Badly underpowered. It can maintain altitude and climb slowly, aerobatics are limited to rolls and stall turns.

It flew poorly in level flight, but in a dive I could feel it start to lock in and perform. I'm thinking of getting a 3530-1450 motor and using that instead, because this was just miserable at these speeds.

TBS, it flew respectably well for how slow it was, and had no bad stall tendencies. In fact, I couldn't make it stall at all!

I checked thrust on a motor calculator and it looks like I had a .4 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. Good for a glider, not so great for a p-51.:p

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I did a little more work last night with paint and decals, but I still need to repair the belly of the plane. When it crashed it took out my gear mounts along with some foam.:(

It looks good in olive drab, now I just need to find my spitfire canopy.

image.jpg

I did find a really simple, cheap way to decal a plane with a printer and spray adhesive, what's better is that it looks really good on foam and you can use any image imaginable.

image.jpg

I'll write up a forum post with how to do it!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Woohoo!
Yeah, I fixed a few issues... On lunch break I found a 9x8 prop in my stash, and threw a 2200 Mah 3s in the nose. Totally different airplane!
I think it was a little tail heavy before, because now it tracks way better, and just grooves at full power.

It took a loooong dive to loop, but it was on rails all the way through. I love this plane!

Yep! Badly underpowered. It can maintain altitude and climb slowly, aerobatics are limited to rolls and stall turns.

It flew poorly in level flight, but in a dive I could feel it start to lock in and perform. I'm thinking of getting a 3530-1450 motor and using that instead, because this was just miserable at these speeds.

TBS, it flew respectably well for how slow it was, and had no bad stall tendencies. In fact, I couldn't make it stall at all!

I checked thrust on a motor calculator and it looks like I had a .4 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. Good for a glider, not so great for a p-51.:p

If you go to a bigger motor let me know how that works out. I put a 2220 1380kv motor on mine 70g I think anyway between that and my 2" spinner the plane is horribly off balance I have added some weight to the tail and a steerable wheel. I'm going to try a smaller ESC as I know the 40A in it is probably a bit over kill and weighs the nose down like a brick. Anyway as it sits now my CG is a touch nose heavy with a 1500mah battery. I'll hook the HK-010 to it and if I can I'll go the 30A esc but I still don't think I'll be able to balance it with a 2200mah battery.

minwaxing tonight! hopefully painting soon, this will be the first plane I put some serious detail in to I'll post pics when I'm done.

-Jes

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hehe, I splurged big time last night... I ordered two Exceed rc 2220-1380kv motors (coupon codes, yeah!) and Detrum 40 amp ESCs to go with them. I also repaired enough servos to build another Mustang and got about 1/3 of the way done.

I modded the plans again, I eliminated the undercambered tips, and slightly altered the forward hatch since mine ripped off in flight.:black_eyed:

Hehe, I splurged big time last night... I ordered two Exceed rc 2220-1380kv motors (coupon codes, yeah!) and Detrum 40 amp ESCs to go with them. I also repaired enough servos to build another Mustang and got about 1/3 of the way done.

I modded the plans again, I eliminated the undercambered tips, and slightly altered the forward hatch since mine ripped off in flight.:black_eyed:

HEY! that's the exact same motor I have on mine! My mustang is ready to fly but I really wanna add some paint first, gotta crash in style ya'know. lemme know how you like that motor. I put it on my spitfire for about a day seemed like tons of power but I had added wheels and other junk and my spit's days are numbered so I didn't get the full experience. Looking forward to some awesome vertical on the mustang (i hope).

I haven't heard much about the exceed motors, I bought 3, gave one to my noobie brother, and one is still on back order. they seem pretty though, he's "nosed in" a few times and it still runs like a top. I haven't run my 1380kv enough to know how I like it. I'm hoping it gives some speed to my Mustang!

-Jes