FT Old Fogey (Swappable) - Scratch Build

Bolvon72

Mentor
Sorry, DAFBFD I meant to come back earlier, 19"X11" 3.5" at the break

(Edit) Be sure to use a 9x5 with that Grayson.

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Sweet guess what I'm doing tomorrow after I get the right size pushrods! Got that too!

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Finished it up. Had to use a few extra rubber bands on the landing gear to keep it from flexing too much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

Bolvon72

Mentor
It's dark! It will be coming to work with me.

Ha! I know the pain, I have thrown caution to the wind on several occasions when I can't wait to just get a few circuits on a new plane and have flown low in the headlights. Like tonight lol, if this new monster flies as well on a full flight tomorrow I will be writing my first article.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Well it flew somewhat..... Then crashed. I think two things happened. I realized last night I had used a pusher prop so the motor spun the wrong way second is I think the cg is off. It's way tail heavy so it has an extra battery and gopro for weight but taking off it was still nose high. Ill go but some new props Monday and try it again.

alibopo

Hi, newbie here. All my flying has been virtual on a PC up until now. Thought this looked a neat build and a slow flyer, so I put it together following the great build video. As always, there's been a few problems along the way and I thought I'd share my solutions. I bought the control rods on-line and thought 450mm would be long enough - curses, about 20 mm too short. The solution I came up with was to install a second servo tray slightly further back. I also made life a little easier by angling the tray to remove most of the curvature in the wire and fed the wire through 3 strategically placed eyelets made from zip ties (brilliant idea Josh). My first flight was a bit scary - too much throw on the control surfaces! Fortunately the plane survived near enough intact. As I didn't have a fancy programmable transmitter, I added extenders to the control horns to reduce the throw. These were little plates cut from an ITunes gift card, which I scratched-up to give a key for the glue, then glued them on the side of the horns. I then drilled new holes for the control rods further out from the hinge. That made a world of difference, and my next flight was much more enjoyable. I had to add a fair bit of weight to the nose to get good balance using a 2 cell battery, but I'm hoping to take most of it off when I get some 3 cell batteries. One thing I learned, early morning dew plays havoc with foamboard. My tailplane now has an interesting downward curve though the plane still flies OK. After drying it out I looked around for a cheap seal for the paper and found an old can of artist's fixative I had sitting around. A quick spray with that has sealed the paper. Incidentally, artists also use hairspray for the same job and I'm thinking I might try that on my next build as a cheap way to seal the paper. As a first experience of RC flying this has been great. Keep up the good work Flite Test.

Sadly, I burned up my 24 gram motor I had been using on my Fogey:( A three cell and more prop were a mistake. It flew great for a few moments, but then croaked. I happened to have a 370 size motor I was going to use on something else so I put it on the Fogey. HOLY CRAP:eek: A 370 and a 3 cell and the Fogey REALLY moves!! The sad part, now the wind is blowing, and we all know how much an Old Fogey likes the wind:mad: Hopefully it will calm down later this evening. I am going to charge batteries in anticipation. I might end up just having to discharge them all, but I'll be ready!!

I just put the Fogey in the air, the wind still blowing a bit. The wing rocking was intense!! However, he did fly backwards quite nicely;) I charged batteries all day hoping for some calm, but it never really came. These last few minutes before dusk were about as calm as it was going to get (12 mph sustained with gusts up to 20 or so). Supposed to be 45 mph sustained winds tomorrow, so that's out. At least I got in a little bit of stick time today! I need to build more foam beater planes! Spring time in SE Idaho is a windy bugger so if I want to fly anything besides the simulator I need to get more planes built that won't make me cry if I crash them!! The plans for the FT3D are rolled up on the counter next to me!!! This 370 swappable power pod on Fogey should do quite nicely!

CustomZ02

Anyone know where I could find some linkage stoppers (Linkage Stopper D1.8mm), every where I look they seem to be backordered. Its all I have left for my build to fly :p. Thanks

found some at the hobby store, ended up paying like 4x more than the online prices. Tomorrow I fly

Last edited:

mordy

Finished the Old Fogey, I decided to burnish the undercarriage and use a geared motor, and gave it a satin finish, I also covered in the rear fuselage with some 250gsm card, balances very nicely at prescribed CG with 1300mAh battery.

IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1135.JPG

Last edited:

mordy

Very nice paint job. What pinstriping material did you use?

It's standard car/automotive shop pin-stripping 4mm, the trick is after you apply use a heat shrink iron on low and just use the tip to run over it with your finger behind, the heat activates the glue and also gets rid of any tiny kinks.

Just a word to the wise, if you build your Fogey with a 370, and fly on a 3 cell, with a 10x4.7, don't punch it vertical into a 10 mph wind... Did that this afternoon and the left wing tip came off at the glue seam. Needless to say, a Fogey doesn't fly well sans one wing tip. This Fogey air frame is done, time for the next one, and this time with a little paint. This plane got me back into the hobby and was a great teacher! I am not sure there will be a time when there isn't one in the hangar.

baronbernie

Just finished taping the plans together and set to cut the pieces out. Need to get more blades. Seems like I am going to the hardware store to buy blades every month.

hotwax

It's doing well!

OldFogey1s.JPG

I'm using a 1000mA 3 Cell battery to get the CG right. After some problems with excessive pendulum, I added three small fins under the elevator and now I'm completely happy.

It flys just as easy as my Coronet

Coronet1s.jpg

Very happy greetings from Germany

Chiron

We had the maiden flight today; it was a blast. Had too much flex in the pushrods which I fixed tonight with skewers and tape. ;-) Thanks Flitetest for the great build videos.

DSC_9470.jpg