FT Old Fogey (Swappable) - Scratch Build

baronbernie

Finished cutting the plane out and glued some of the plane parts together. Next is to paint the plane and wait for the parts to come from HK.

johanjonker

If i were to add ailerons to this plane would it be usefull? I dont think it flys bad, but i would like to use this for slow fpv flying, but with no ailerons its to uhm, lets say rocky. And sometimes it feels like its always rocking side to side. I dont see my self as a good enough pilot when flying fpv to try the cruizer.. It flys great, but when I change to fpv, its a handfull..

Bolvon72

Mentor
If i were to add ailerons to this plane would it be usefull? I dont think it flys bad, but i would like to use this for slow fpv flying, but with no ailerons its to uhm, lets say rocky. And sometimes it feels like its always rocking side to side. I dont see my self as a good enough pilot when flying fpv to try the cruizer.. It flys great, but when I change to fpv, its a handfull..

Adding some more vertical stabilization cures a lot of the rocking.

Discos_Dead

When I was a teenager I built a Clancy Aviation Big Lazy Bee from scratch (remember balsa and monokote and glow fuel?), I even had to make forms to bend the balsa for the wingtips. This plane is reminiscent of that one. If I build a foam plane, this one is the most likely candidate for sentimental reasons (I never got to fly the Lazy Bee - went off to college with part of the build done and my folks leaned the wing against a wall in the damp basement and warped the heck out if it). Thanks for all the good work, fellows!

Modelboatmayhem

UK GB Foam board supplier?

Hi Guys,

want to build the Old Fogey here in England but having trouble getting the full Spec of the Foam Board you guys use...

1. What thickness & weight is it?
2. Is it Paper or PVC covered?
3. Anyone know a UK supplier?

Thanks.
M
:D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hi Guys,

want to build the Old Fogey here in England but having trouble getting the full Spec of the Foam Board you guys use...

1. What thickness & weight is it?
2. Is it Paper or PVC covered?
3. Anyone know a UK supplier?

Thanks.
M
:D
It's a 4mm depron covered in paper. It's commonly known as "dollar tree" foamboard but it's actually a brand name called Adams and it's made by R.L.Adams Plastics. Not sure if it will do you any good on shipping since it's made here in the states but their website is www.goadams.com. Maybe if you contacted them, you might be able get a bulk shipment of 20 or 30 boards to mitigate the shipping...IF you can't find a local supply.

200megaton

IMG_5893e.jpg IMG_5888e.jpg

I've been out of flying for about 5 years and stumbled onto a YouTube video of the Old Fogey build. I'm a graphic designer, so a foam board scratch build was just right. Had a ton of fun drawing all over the plans before I printed them out. The PDF opens right up in Adobe Illustrator, so the plans are my paint job. Output was from a 13" x 19" printer, then seamed together. The plans were spray mounted with 3M 77 to the Dollar Tree foam board. Thanks for such a detailed build video, lots of great tips for getting the plane together right on the first try. Still rusty on the flying, but working on it. This is a great plane for getting back into the swing of things. Second flight ended up with a crash landing in the irrigation at the park. Already had to fab a new wing and stab after huge warping. No worries, I've got a case of foam board ready.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, with the exception of the planes that have turtle decks. The curved parts of those are done with posterboard and formers. But the whole swappable series is mostly foamboard.

Billchuck

I knocked together an Old Fogey this weekend, and noticed an easy tweak that would probably help quite a few newbies out.

I measured the width of the fuselage at the top front (mine came to 2-7/16", measure yours to be sure that's right). Cut two pieces of foam to this width and 1" long. Glue one of them to center of the bottom of the wing in back, right at the edge. Glue the other one to the front center bottom of the wing, about 3/16" from the front. These two pieces key the wing to the fuselage, making sure it is centered properly when you attach it. No messing about, eyeing it to see if it's in the right spot. It goes right in place every time.

pblommendaal

Hi,

Any recommendations on the 'vinyl tubing' as sleeves for the push rods? In the video it doesn't look like the flexible vinyl tubing used for aquariums that are sold on a spindle. It looks more stiff.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Peter

offaxis

Any recommendations on the 'vinyl tubing' as sleeves for the push rods? In the video it doesn't look like the flexible vinyl tubing used for aquariums that are sold on a spindle. It looks more stiff.

I used coffee stirrers and weld wire from a mig welder. Make sure to hold them in place until the hot glue has set.

The speed build kit has foam piece guides that hold the push rods against the inside of the fuselage (see the red-framed pictures in the article accompanying the build video) -- which I used in my first Old Fogey. Using coffee stirrers, one would only have to use small (maybe 1" sections) glued to the inside of the fuselage every few inches to accomplish the same thing.

On my second (scratch build) Fogey, I took a different approach. I used scrap pieces of foam across the inside of the fuselage -- these had small holes poked in them with short pieces of coffee stirrers to act as guides (see the attached pictures). I preferred this over the side-mount as it gave them more of a straight line from the servos to control horns -- less binding.

Originally, I only had two foam guide "bulkheads" with coffee stirrer guides. This permitted too much flexing of the FT-supplied wires, so I added two more guides -- just a piece of foam board with slots cut in them to slide over the already-installed wires.

Either way, you don't need a continuous run of tubing to provide adequate support for the push rods -- every few inches will suffice quite well.

fogey_pr2.jpg fogey_pr1.jpg