FT Scout Maiden(4 ch)!

reburg99

FT Scout Maiden(4 ch)!(video added)

Sorry no video yet.... 3 batteries for my SJ4000 (GoPro nockoff) and they're all dead:mad:. I was finally able to maiden my scratch built Scout. We've had 17-30 MPH winds for the past few days and rain and and and... blah! Finally blue skies and 3 MPH winds this morning, perfect for a maiden :D. I only needed 3-4 clicks down elevator and I eventually added 1 click of left aerilon. This thing flew great! Once it was trimmed it flew level and straight, responsive and decent power on 7.4 battery. I always for get to set the timer, but I think I got 8-10 minutes of flight time. I'd like a little more power out of it, so I'll most likely pick a couple of small 11.1's at some point. Great design guys, thanks. I'm excited to get my Sportster and Tiny Trainer for my son done!

Not the maiden, my 2nd flight. I had the high rates set to high and ended up crashing it. There was no real damage done, pick it up and went right back to flying

Attachments

• WP_20151215_002.jpg
    WP_20151215_002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • WP_20151215_001.jpg
    WP_20151215_001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20151215_003.jpg
    WP_20151215_003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

rryyyaannn

What kind of electronics are you using. I just tried to maiden mine the other day and it was WAY underpowered. I'm using the 1806 1800kv motor with 12A esc and a 2s battery pack. I've tried 5 up to 7 inch prop and can't get enough power. I did use 2 9 gram servos but I wouldn't think they would be weighting the plane down.

rryyyaannn

I was working with mine this morning and found my problem was I am way too tail heavy. I'm going to lengthen my nose to shift everything forward an inch and i should be great. I do have a few small 3 cells on the way.

reburg99

I used a 2204 2300Kv motor with a 6-4 prop. Can you just move your battery and / or your electronics forward to adjust your CG towards the front?

kacknor

Build another!
I was working with mine this morning and found my problem was I am way too tail heavy. I'm going to lengthen my nose to shift everything forward an inch and i should be great. I do have a few small 3 cells on the way.

The 1806 18KV should do great with a 6x4 after the CG is worked out. Mine flywell on a 800 2s, and VERY well on a 460 3s. I'm actually using a smaller 16 gram hexTronik 1700KV.

JD

I built 2 Scouts and have not had success with either of them. They both tended to fly straight upwards; maybe a combination of prop angle and tail heavy. I may give it another go but the other frustrating part is I kept breaking props. I'm building the mini Sportster now and it really looks like a solid plane.

bwh13

Wlouharris2000-I had a similar problem with my scout (Scout goes high alpha thread - you commented there) and it was solved by toning down my throttle behavior. I also extended the nose less than an inch and put my 800mAh all the way to the front.
I can fly for about 20 minutes on that battery.

reburg99

What are you using for your CoG? I used the wing "spar", basically where the wing is bent. I was able to get the plane level by moving the battery around. I prefer level over forward or aft CoG, but that's just my preference.

Wlouharris2000-I had a similar problem with my scout (Scout goes high alpha thread - you commented there) and it was solved by toning down my throttle behavior. I also extended the nose less than an inch and put my 800mAh all the way to the front.
I can fly for about 20 minutes on that battery.

Yah, I tend to gun the throttle when I try and hand launch the plane so that could be part of the reason. I have UMX T-28 that has a similar fuselage style; short wings and fuselage. It also has a tendency to fly straight upwards - not in the way Scout does making it unflyable.. I guess that's one trait that this style of plane has. I'm building the Sportster now so anxious to see what traits this plane has.