FT Simple Cub....already building my 2nd ;)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I really ought to build one of these myself. Must get more plank time so I can build this ARF kit that I'm afraid to fly:

Attachments

• 20170831_081058.jpg
    20170831_081058.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I really ought to build one of these myself. Must get more plank time so I can build this ARF kit that I'm afraid to fly:
Looks far posher than mine!! The main reason I'm building this Simple Cub is to get my eye/hand co-ordination back for flying the Mini Mustang which incidentally, has earn't its colours and I'm waterproofing the plane ready for painting - Silver, black and YELLOW (love the yellow)
:)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Control horns, wing aileron servos installed, rudder servo installed, motor and esc installed.
Need some more push rod wire to do the elevator.
Tomorrow, graphics but the other bits I need to finish it will be bought on Saturday.
Maiden... Sunday, weather permitting .... YAY !!!!

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Yours is so much prettier than mine. You can really tell that a good amount of time and effort went into this. Fantastic job on the aesthetics!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Oh sausages.... I've put the lightning flash on upside down!!!! Duhhhhhh!!!

Oh well!!! It's my cub and if I want them on upside down, then upside down is the right way :p:p:p

Namactual

Elite member
LOL!

I almost did not put the link in there, but I thought of that^ as well and figured I would elaborate.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Complete minus a spot of paint on the undercarriage. Added a wedge of foam under the wing back to fill in that space and a small strip of wood at the top rear of the wing where the rubber bands tend to damage it.
1 week from starting to finish!!!

AUW with a 1350mAh 3S 50C battery = 735gm, 629gm without the battery. That foamboard is way heavier than the dollartree stuff and....I build a bit heavier it seams. CofG looks spot on :)
10x4.5 prop on a 2212 980KV motor.
The weather is not looking good for a maiden tomorrow, wet in the morning, windy in the afternoon :(
IMG_20180512_210406758_LL.jpg IMG_20180512_210440461.jpg IMG_20180512_210451532.jpg

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
nice!

we had a blow out today. too much wind to fly, which is pretty rare for us. this time of year it's usually the heat that is starting to cause problems. hope to maiden as well tomorrow.

mine came in @ 672g w/ a 3S-1000mah using the Emax 2213-935kv (b-pack) motor and 10" prop.

i run a 8" prop on my other cub but it has a Emax 2215GT (c-pack) motor and the torque from the 10" was too much. funny our motor manufacture says run a 10" on 3S, but FT says 8"? i plan on having both in the back of jeep tomorrow.

luv the tail wheel. what did you use for it? i worked up a couple diff ideas but ended up going with the old, "DVD case" skid.

as for the wing supports. this is what i have been using/printing... LINK

good luck tomorrow!

laters,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I was going to use a 3d printed tail skid but when I was in the model shop a cute tail wheel just sort of jumped into my hands.
I've bent up some piano wire to mount it which is embedded into the bottom of the rudder and strengthened with some hot glue and a discarded cut off servo arm. No idea if it will be strong enough but it has some bounce in it.
The wedge at the under rear of the wing is two layers of foam board sandwiched together, sized to fit and sliced diagonally really carefully to match the slope.
Weather is still looking too windy for a maiden at the moment but I have my fingers crossed.
Best of luck with your maiden. Chocks away!!!
Caroline

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
very nice. hope you get some mild winds soon.

maiden mine today and it flew awesome. funny prop noise, but flew great. did multiple, epic, touch and goes. didn't even use the flapperons. on landing and post flight, realized i hadn't put the power pod skewers back in. pod was working it's way out the front of the plane!

ooops! :LOL:

will remedy that for the next flight. :sneaky:

laters,

me :cool: